Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-10-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I finished this project, by using a Eaton / Cutler Hammer CHU1S Weatherproof 50 AMP connector box that I purchased at Lowe's along with the 2 spare 30amp shore power extension cords that I had from my old bus. I removed the 30amp female ends and then wired the 50amp female plug in the box this way below. this will give me the 2 - 30amp to 1 - 50amp adapter.

http://www.pbase.com/image/113615571

Then I rewired the 30amp female plugs that I had removed from the cords described above onto the extra 20AMP shore power cords, that were actually 30amp service shore power cords, with heavy duty 20amp male plugs. I used heavy duty butt connectors and heat shrink tubing and then reinforced the spliced section of the cord with plastic tubing that was then secured with electrical tape to help remove any strain put on the spliced wires. This will give me a 20amp to 30amp adapter for each of the 30amp cords above and while they are quite a bit longer cords than you would gt with a store bought adapters, they will allow the use of different 30amp or 20 amp plugs locate far apart and with the 3 - 10 gauge wiring should limit the loss of voltage for the distance used, plus MORE IS BETTER....right?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-10-2009

John,

This is the unit I have: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/25774 It appears to be on the same line as yours, albeit with shorter cords.

I also have two 30 amp female to 20 amp male adapters so I could connect to 30, 20, or 15 amp plugs.

I also have a 30 amp male to 20 amp female adapter that I use with a circuit tester like this: http://www.electronicsnmore.com/prod...oducts_id/8370

Now having said this I have never used it please let us know if it works. I think it should.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-10-2009

I have used the type of adaptor being discussed here with the only problem being the GCFI mentioned. It works great but you do have to watch what you turn on or leave running.

The coach load should be easily balanced by watching the amp meters in your coach. If I remember correctly "Leg 1" is the left pin on the 50 amp plug when it's plugged in and "Leg 2" is the right pin.

As mentioned here, I've never been able to make any thing that has an internal GCFI work when plugged into the coach. I carry a small electrical powered pressure washer with us and I had to rip the GCFI out of it to make it work. Ran than one down after several hours of lost religion.

Bottom line is your setup should work you just have to be careful as many have pointed out.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 06-10-2009
95 WB 42

Default Power cords

John
Looks good!!!! and I know you will always check and be careful when plugging in the INN

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-10-2009
Administrator

I like it lots of wire, far from everyone, you can reach the Days Inn & Motel 8.
Old 06-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
I like it lots of wire, far from everyone, you can reach the Days Inn & Motel 8.
SHHHHH....maybe they won't notice the shore cables going through the window. I actually had done that with my van, when my truck driver decided to get a motel room and we first checked with the motel management to see if it was OK, 20 amp will usually run one airconditioner.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
John,
Now having said this I have never used it please let us know if it works. I think it should.
I used the 50 amp shore power cord plugged into the 50 amp receptacle adapter with its two 30amp cords plugged into the two 20 to 30 amp cords and finally plugged into two separate circuit 20 amp receptacles. I had the center air conditioner running with the two 120 volt floor fans running off of the inverter, the battery charger running, the water heater turned on and I occasionally used the microwave that runs off of the inverter along with the satellite receiver and TV, laptop and various lights throughout the coach.

Whenever I checked it the voltage was in the 110 - 120 volts range and the amp load was usually around 12 to 20 depending on when the airconditioner recycled, I'm not sure if the water heater ever actually came on, but there was power going to it through the switch.

The temperature was in the upper 80's and my pad is under two large trees so there is plenty of shade and it kept it a comfortable 75 inside. I could probably turn off the water heater and run the front and rear airconditioners this way if it got real warm outside, but I'm satisfied that this works as planned, using two 30amp outlets would be even better.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-11-2009

Excellent!!

Thanks John.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-12-2009

I own that device, John, bought it at Camping World in Virginia a while back. One time at a low power park the polarity reverse lights came on in the coach as I plugged in. I thought about it and realized that I could correct it by opening up the rabbit ear box and reverse one ground and one neutral, that solved it. A rabbit ear box beats hauling all those cords around that you never use.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
I own that device, John, bought it at Camping World in Virginia a while back. One time at a low power park the polarity reverse lights came on in the coach as I plugged in. I thought about it and realized that I could correct it by opening up the rabbit ear box and reverse one ground and one neutral, that solved it. A rabbit ear box beats hauling all those cords around that you never use.
Crit,

I'm not familiar with what you are calling a Rabbit Ear Box, could you explain?

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11