Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-05-2009

Default Air Horn Floor Button Alternate

Before tackling this next project, I thought someone may already have done it and give some advice.

Too many times I have come up behind a car and soiled his underwear by accidentally resting my foot on that air horn button. Just can't seem to miss it. There is an unused (and labeled) horn button on the end of the turn signal lever. I'd like to rewire the floor button to that button. However, there are a lot of wires coming out of the steering yoke just under the turn signal lever and only one pigtail that does not seem to be connected to that button. Does anyone know what color the wires for that button are, and where they are pigtailed, or if they even have wires attached? I don't find it on the schematics. Or, does anyone know how to take apart the turn signal assembly to check the horn button? Forewarned is forearmed....

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2009
Forum owner

I scare myself with that horn button quite often! (big feet!)
To get to the turn signal switch you have to remove the plastic cover on the steering column,its in 2 pieces and it snaps together,the part line goes up and down,and the part line is on the side of the column.
squeeze the plastic and it will come apart,the switch can be seen when the cover is removed.
DO NOT remove the steering wheel.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-06-2009

The newer coaches have 2 screws that hold that horn button to the floor. If you have carpet there you can pull that up and relocate it, if you wish, also.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 07-06-2009
Geek

I'm probably like a lot of folks, having not been told about the floor button and learning the hard way. Thought I had an intermittent short in the steering column!

I stuck a rubber dog-toy ring down around the button. Couldn't set it off now if I tried.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 07-06-2009
Thomas Rembert

I got tired of it, opened the front compartment, easily(right in the open to the back of the switch) found the wires going to the switch and cut one and taped it. solved my problem.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Alachua, FL/Blackhawk, CO.
Old 07-06-2009

I don't have a switch to merge the air horns and electric to the steering wheel center button like I did on the 83 FC35.

My problem is when someone tries to merge in to the side of our rig, I can never find the foot button in time for the air horns, and the electrcic horns are not very loud in comparison. I'd like to do away with the floor switch entirely, and have both electic and air blow from the steering wheel. I just haven't tackled figuring out the wiring yet to do it.

I don't understand how some 4 wheelers in the cities (or country side road) fail to see a 37 foot long, 11.5 foot high coach towing a car. Usually happens when I can't move over without crunching someone. Last time was Dallas area, I was on the electric horn blaring for 10 seconds or so, very hard on the brakes as it was clear he was coming over no matter what --idiot boy merging onto the expressway cleared my front by 3 feet or less. I found the air horn right after he barely cleared the front, and stayed on it for a good 30 seconds afterwards.

I need to get on this project soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Before tackling this next project, I thought someone may already have done it and give some advice.

Too many times I have come up behind a car and soiled his underwear by accidentally resting my foot on that air horn button. Just can't seem to miss it. There is an unused (and labeled) horn button on the end of the turn signal lever. I'd like to rewire the floor button to that button. However, there are a lot of wires coming out of the steering yoke just under the turn signal lever and only one pigtail that does not seem to be connected to that button. Does anyone know what color the wires for that button are, and where they are pigtailed, or if they even have wires attached? I don't find it on the schematics. Or, does anyone know how to take apart the turn signal assembly to check the horn button? Forewarned is forearmed....

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
I don't have a switch to merge the air horns and electric to the steering wheel center button like I did on the 83 FC35.

My problem is when someone tries to merge in to the side of our rig, I can never find the foot button in time for the air horns, and the electrcic horns are not very loud in comparison. I'd like to do away with the floor switch entirely, and have both electic and air blow from the steering wheel. I just haven't tackled figuring out the wiring yet to do it.

I don't understand how some 4 wheelers in the cities (or country side road) fail to see a 37 foot long, 11.5 foot high coach towing a car. Usually happens when I can't move over without crunching someone. Last time was Dallas area, I was on the electric horn blaring for 10 seconds or so, very hard on the brakes as it was clear he was coming over no matter what --idiot boy merging onto the expressway cleared my front by 3 feet or less. I found the air horn right after he barely cleared the front, and stayed on it for a good 30 seconds afterwards.

I need to get on this project soon.

Train Horns on a lanyard, are very effective in those situations

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-06-2009
Administrator

I don't wear shoes, big feet works great, smells just a little,
Old 07-06-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Interesting series of problems.

Once I learned to put the foot rest down, I have never accidently hit the floor horn button again.

Don't know when they switched, but I haver a dash switch to select air or electric and that is what is operated by my horn button on the steering wheel.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 07-06-2009

Okay, seems as though I am treading on new territory here. I'll let you know what I find.

The switch on the dash selects air or electric horn for the steering wheel horn pad on the hub. Since air horns are illegal in some cities, and not real nice in any city, I leave that one on electric.

When I need the air horn, I only seem to find it when I don't want it. However, the unused horn button on the end of the turn signal lever is easily found with one fast swipe at it. I have installed a selector switch on the dash just above the one for the steering wheel horn, to select either floor button or turn signal lever button. Next is to dig into the steering column to see if there are wires to that button. Kind of backwards, I know, but it should be usable. We will see. Will let you know. It will probably be a switch to ground like all steering wheel horn buttons, but there are so many relays in the bird, what's one more?