Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2007
Forum owner

Default wiring,batterys,alternators,bring em on!

this is the place to talk about wiring,batterys etc.
anybody want to talk?
Randy
Old 01-24-2008

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
anybody want to talk?
Randy
what would you like to know?
Juergen in PA
1991 WLSP36
Old 01-24-2008

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
anybody want to talk?
Randy
I am using marine batteries which seem to last for 3 years. They cost about $70 each. I am wondering if going to golf cart batteries(6 volt) for the house batteries would be a good idea. Comments, suggestions are welcome.

TIA,
Jack
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 01-25-2008
AKA Tent Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
I am using marine batteries which seem to last for 3 years. They cost about $70 each. I am wondering if going to golf cart batteries(6 volt) for the house batteries would be a good idea. Comments, suggestions are welcome.

TIA,
Jack
Hi Jack and Liz,
I have put the golf cart batts in my coach last year... the reason being is on my sailboat I put in a xantrex 2500 watt inverter/charger with 6 t105's for a total of 660 amp hours for the house bank, along with a 12v starter batt... They have been in the boat for the past 6 years and still going strong... I have a smart charger along with the xantrex, that keeps the batts charged on a float level and have never failed... I am going to install the xantrex and smart charging system in the bus also... I also live on the boat during the week and the bus on weekends...
HTH

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 01-26-2008
Jay Darst

Thumbs up Batterys

I have had my 6 6volt Trojan T-105 colf cart batteries in my 85PT40 now going into their 5th year. No Problems. Keep them Watered about twice a year. Don't over fill the water.

I have this 6 6volt setup in 2 boats prior to the Bird. The batteries outlived my ownership of the boats(more than 5 years).

I am a Lifeline dealer now. The 8D sealed batteries list for over $1,200 ea, you cost here $650 plus freight.

Still like the Trojans which are now up to about $500 for a set of 6.

Keep them clean, connections tight and watered correctly, they'll live a very very long time.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su.../Watering.aspx

Jay Darst
85PT40
Jay.Darst@Yahoo.com
Dothan, AL
217-971-0036 cell
Old 02-28-2008

Default Headlight Switch & Fog Light Problems

My headlight switch, and connector, has bit the dust. It had a sometime problem of having to jiggle the rod to get the lights to come on, and it finally smoked itself. Earl Davis said that the connector was no longer availble thru BB. Found it at NAPA, part # EC20. Found out recently that the switch, a Delco, is prone to failure. As I got into replacing them on my 1977 FC31, I noticed that someone has been in there before, and a black wire w/ yellow stripe had been moved to slot # 3, the wiring diagram says it goes to slot # 7. Maybe this is why I am not getting the dash lights to dim, as this was also one of my previous problems. I am not seeing any connection that goes to my (amber fog lights), which I have seen somewhere that fog/driving lights only work when the high beams are on. Has anyone been thru this, i.e. changing those lights to work independantly from the high or low beam headlights. The fog lights have never worked, and I have cked. every fuse up front that I could find (a bunch). I have removed the right fog light for testing, it works off a batt. hot wire just fine. Would appreciate info. from anyone who has been there , done that. Thanks, George Burke 1977FC31 Charlotte
Old 02-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPRCoach View Post
I have had my 6 6volt Trojan T-105 colf cart batteries in my 85PT40 now going into their 5th year. No Problems. Keep them Watered about twice a year. Don't over fill the water.

I have this 6 6volt setup in 2 boats prior to the Bird. The batteries outlived my ownership of the boats(more than 5 years).

I am a Lifeline dealer now. The 8D sealed batteries list for over $1,200 ea, you cost here $650 plus freight.

Still like the Trojans which are now up to about $500 for a set of 6.

Keep them clean, connections tight and watered correctly, they'll live a very very long time.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su.../Watering.aspx
Very interesting, Jay. Lifelines are too rich for our blood. Jack got a price of $160 each for Trojan 105, warranteed for 2 years. Well, we have 2 year warranty Walmart 12 Volt marine batteries in the Bird right now for $70 each. Hmmm.

How's the coach business, BTW?

Best regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 02-28-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Very interesting, Jay. Lifelines are too rich for our blood. Jack got a price of $160 each for Trojan 105, warranteed for 2 years. Well, we have 2 year warranty Walmart 12 Volt marine batteries in the Bird right now for $70 each. Hmmm.

How's the coach business, BTW?

Best regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce
Price sounds incorrect, should be about $100 each for 105's

I use http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ good battery about same specs. maybe $10/15. cheaper per battery. But this is last years pricing.

Many use Sam's Club golf cart batterries, about $70,, I have no experience with these batteries.
Golf cart batteries are the way to go.....
Old 02-28-2008

Right after buying my coach, I purchased 4 Sams Club marine batteries for the house bank. The Sams batteries have a 2 year free replacement, which is a good selling point. Only time will tell if they hold up...

I also installed Xantrex 3000 watt inverter/charger, and disconnected the factory chargers. So far, I am very impressed with the Xantrex. Keeps the batteries topped off very well.
Linden, Michigan
Old 02-29-2008

FWIW, I have six 6V Eveready Golf Cart Batteries (GC-2's) from Sams Club installed in our PT-40. They were $62 when I bought them a few years ago. They are topped off monthly with a battery watering system and charged with a Xantrex ProSine 2.0 inverter/charger. After 2 years, they have never gassed, leaked or crusted-up and will hold a resting voltage of 12.9 volts for up to 2 months when the coach is in storage and they are disconnected. We do mostly dry camping and can run the coach and appliances for a day and run the genny for a few hours each morning to keep them charged. I'm inclined to say that the longevity and condition of the cells is due to a good temperature-sensing 3-stage charger more than any other factor.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912