Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-16-2011
dctrcarter

My problem is I have a four wire connecton on my Coach an toad{jeep } I'm using a six way with four wires. My brake keeps coming on yellow on the toad, I've beat my head for two days an still have the problem.
Old 03-16-2011

Does your jeep have a 3 light system? Your coach a 2 light system?
'05 Road King
'08 Silverado Duramax
Old 03-16-2011

I Just fixed my 78 BB tow wiring: I had removed the connector in the back of the bus (one wire is HOT, you can turn off the main 12 v switch) Pulled it out turned on the 12 volts and had my son work the turn Sig's, brakes ect, labeled each wire back so I could cut and reconnect with new connectors. I had the BB wire out & my brother-in laws jeep wire out but too much to figure out. Went to my Chevy 2003 and copied the wire out on it's connector.(remember one is a plug and one is a connector the left & right is the other side when plugged in). Painted the connector off the RV and cleaned the terminals added 8" of wire and label them, tested it the crimped together they come out under my bed that was uncovered so I could check it. You can also take that hot wire and light up the other wires when no help is here. Then I used the electrical adapter that lets you use the BB with separate turn Sig's and brakes & 4 wire adapter.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 03-19-2011
dctrcarter

have a problem with my trailor lights. the wire color on the coach is White/brown, blue ,green,red, with a black wire connected to the red for the ground, I can't get the brake lites to come on red, they are the yellow lites come on for the toad, brake lites are red on the coach. I had a ramp put on the back of the coach to carry my scooter an have had problem ever since, the white/brown wire is not connected. Everything works , turn,running lites but brake lites comeon yellow. Still beating my head on this one.
Old 03-19-2011

Here is wiring modifications to my '89 PT. Maybe you can make some sense of it. Main 4 wires coming from left side tail lights in seperate split loom.I had to add a relay system after losing all rear running lights, dash lights, 4-ways etc. due to overload on stock wiring. Both Heck Man and I suffered from this problem. Caution - Do not add too many filament type lamps to existing wiring. An alternative but more expensive way is to change to LED lights to reduce current draw. The relay system will allow you to tow anything without worry.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 7-Pin & Electric Brake Wiring.doc (45.0 KB, 212 views)
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-19-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

THANKS

GREAT JOB~!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 03-22-2011
dctrcarter

Default Coach to Toad

I've posted before but still getting into trouble over wireing of my coach to my Jeep, Id lost my hazard lites an was looking for the rely for it, to see if I'd blown a fuse along the line, but today I cleaned some an looked around , got up into my front fuse panel an changed the fuse for the hazards an got them working. Hav'en said all that I still have problem at back of Coach with the OEM color code for the hook-up to theToad, if I connect like says , Geen, Yellow,turn signals, an brown is tail lite,I've got a yellow/brown left thats OEM, an I have a ture ground wire, white. If I hook it all up using the white ground wire it all works until I push on the brakes which brings the yellow / not the brake red lites on, An thats were I'm at. What next?
Old 05-08-2011

Okay, so I have some wiring questions after reading this thread, looking at the etrailer site, looking at the wiring writeup above from KC, and having issues with hooking up a trailer to the Bird. I had an existing cord which Roy used to tow a car, 7 way round female plugged into the Bird, round 4 female on the other side with a separate 5th wire hanging separate plugged into the car. I took off that 4 round plug and put on a flat 4 instead. Had some issues with things working right, so I took the female round 7 plug on the Bird apart to see what is what.

Here is what I seem to have after testing with a test light:

right turn signals on - red wire lit up test light
left turn signals - blue/white wire lit up test light
headlights/tails/markers - green/black wire lit up test light

brake lights - red wire lit up test light (right turn), but so did blue/white wire (left turn), as well as green/white wire as well.

So here is my question....the 4 flat plug only has 4 wires (obviously). I think I know what is left turn, right turn, tails/markers and ground. That's 4 of the 4. But the Bird has 5 wires going into the 7 round male connector currently. Do I just disregard that extra wire green/white that lit up the brake lights because left and right turn will do that as well?
VB 1570
Old 05-08-2011

get a 7pin round to 4 pin flat connector
that should solve your problem

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
get a 7pin round to 4 pin flat connector
that should solve your problem
Nope, that was the first thing I tried. Turn signals were reversed but worked, brake lights worked, but when you took your foot off, lights were on, or maybe it was they came on when you turned headlights off.

I'm looking at the wiring setup for the 7 round to 4 flat right now. The wires from the Bird aren't in the same positions as on the connector....so I have to rewire the Bird plug for sure. I think looking at the male plug I should have tails at 11:00, left turn at 9:00 and ground at 7:00, then right turn at 3:00. Instead, I have ground at 11:00, and tails at 7:00, so they appear to be reversed. Add some corrosion and who knows what else, looks like time for a rewire...
VB 1570