Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-02-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
Sounds like a ground issue. Get them to NOT work and run a known good ground jumper to the rear door if they are mounted to it and see if they will work with aux ground wire. Run a wire from the - battery post and ground to the rear door permanently. Can't remember if your lights are on the rear door. Intermittent ground will blow all the bulbs in the circuit when it makes contact. I have seen every single bulb in a truck blow at one time from intermittent ground at the battery.
Had fun meeting you folks at Maxton. We got home Sunday afternoon. Rick in Ohio
Rick's first trip ???
Any surprises???
Winterize the pipes.
Old 11-02-2010

We popped a heater hose in Southern Ohio on the way down-shortened it and reclamped, added some antifreeze and on we went. Then the step decided to stay out in W. Virginia and just took some persuasion on the valve body to wake it up. No bubbles, no troubles all the rest of the way. My trucker air seats were very comfy and everything went well. 7.6 mpg with wind on the way down plus genny time at Maxton and 9.2 mpg on the way home with less wind and slowing down from 60+ to 58 or so. I drained it on Monday and now have to blow some air in everything to make sure I get it all out. We saw a bike go 222mph on Saturday at Maxton. Several cars were just at 200. Got to meet Flagman, the Reddens, the Heckmans and Barbara and Cliff. Had a great time and want to go back in the spring.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-02-2010

It was a small group but a nice one. Didn't work on any projects (which is nice some times) Ate well (don't we always) slept well and enjoyed seeing the cars

Always interesting to meet new birders. We always have common things to talk about. Lots of talent in the gang always reminded of that. Ricks one of us now and next year we'll put his talents to use perhaps. Good Moose burgers.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-04-2010

Well, This is a good one. KC stopped by this morning with a plan to help me sort out my light issue. Remember no running lights or hazards everything else working. He told be that he was experiencing the exact same symptoms with his bus. This is convoluted and very strange. We found a badly burned terminal on my light switch which when we found it we thought this is it. I had a new light switch, plugging it in no change. Started tracing wires and took a cannon plug apart put it back together and while we saw no problems fooling around with it and the lights started to work. I took the one lead off of the light switch and put it back on and we were back to no lights. Fooled around awhile and moving stuff around got the lights working. So we never really did conclusively determine what was wrong. What can you do??? The really strange part was after KC left he said his lights had spontaneously fixed themselves as well.

So here's what we know. Same exact problem both fixed. One with some intervention which may or may not been helpful. The other fixed itself with no hands on at all.

I'm pretty much at a loss. It has to be at or near the dash head light switch area because my bus was sitting still and we didn't go near the lights themselves.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad. The switch was decidedly needing replaced but I'll be darned if I can figure why when we plugged into the new switch it didn't immediately fix the problem and later did. Strange.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-04-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Well, This is a good one. KC stopped by this morning with a plan to help me sort out my light issue. Remember no running lights or hazards everything else working. He told be that he was experiencing the exact same symptoms with his bus. This is convoluted and very strange. We found a badly burned terminal on my light switch which when we found it we thought this is it. I had a new light switch, plugging it in no change. Started tracing wires and took a cannon plug apart put it back together and while we saw no problems fooling around with it and the lights started to work. I took the one lead off of the light switch and put it back on and we were back to no lights. Fooled around awhile and moving stuff around got the lights working. So we never really did conclusively determine what was wrong. What can you do??? The really strange part was after KC left he said his lights had spontaneously fixed themselves as well.

So here's what we know. Same exact problem both fixed. One with some intervention which may or may not been helpful. The other fixed itself with no hands on at all.

I'm pretty much at a loss. It has to be at or near the dash head light switch area because my bus was sitting still and we didn't go near the lights themselves.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad. The switch was decidedly needing replaced but I'll be darned if I can figure why when we plugged into the new switch it didn't immediately fix the problem and later did. Strange.
It will be dark again someday.
Old 11-04-2010

I sure wouldn't bet against you on that one Bill. I just can't figure what the variable is. I just was fooling around plugging leads on and off of the switch as KC was trying to figure the wiring diagram. No loose wires, on problems noted. Other then at switch which was the only problem. There might be a wire with a break in it and that's the only thing I can think off. There was some evidence of heat at that switch so perhaps it's in one of those little wires which run to the switch. I thought it was a fuse but they don't fix themselves. Plugging the leads on and off of the switch seemed to be the most likely variable so I am thinking that just depending on how you move those wires is what is doing it. Before I put the dash back together I am going to wiggle the wires to see. I hate to do that because it's working now but I don't know what else to even guess at.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-04-2010
Administrator

Heckman,

Your Bird is talking to YA,, need to figure out what it is saying.
Old 11-04-2010

Heckman, Did you check that buzzer to see if it was tight?(refer back to post #4)
Austintown,Ohio
Old 11-04-2010

Mike I did not and you know that could possibly be in the mix because when the lights are not working the head light buzzer isn't sounding. When they are it's making noise so I don't know it that's a part of the problem or not but I will certainly look at that and check it. We did not mess in that part of the dash unless just moving the dash panel back and forth pulled on the wire making and breaking contact. Thanks for the reminder.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-04-2010

John , That's exactly what happened to me, I was convinced it was the switch. Just moving things around broke the electrical connection. That buzzer is mounted right next to the headlight warning light ,a very small stud and nut . I hope that is your problem cuz like I said I neve rhad another issue after that
Austintown,Ohio