Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-08-2015

Default 8v92 water pump replacement question

Hey guys,

I'm replacing the water pump on my rig tonight. Had a slow but increasing steady drip from the weep hole behind the water pump. I got the old one torn out, and the fittings transferred over to the new one. I ended up ordering the fancy $$$ one (walking, not standing or running) from my local Detroit dealer because I didn't want to roll the dice on questions of provenance.

One question -- it shipped with a couple of big rubber seals -- I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but I think one is for the impeller snap ring cover. Possibly the other is for the seal between the block and the pump? How do I ensure the pump is sealed against the block? I've read Curt Sprenger's writeup of various things as well as the DD water pump/coolant document, and maybe I missed it, but want to make sure I don't have to yard this ***** out again.

I put the fittings on with a bit of pipe dope and I'm confident they won't leak. I'm replacing the upper hose 2" hose (with the famous restrictor washer which will go back in hopefully for another 183k miles).

Thanks.
1991 Bluebird Minibird
Old 04-08-2015

pic for clicks
1991 Bluebird Minibird
Old 04-08-2015

Is that pic from today? It is good to live in Florida.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 04-08-2015

Do you have snow tires or chains? From what I see, I think one or the other is needed.
Old 04-08-2015
Resident Rookie

The round o-ring, which is actually square, goes between the pump and block. I use Permatex Form-a-Gasket in the groove so the gasket won't fall off when you are wrestling it in. Be sure to install the lower hose to the block and tighten the clamp first (on the block). Then put a slight bit of oil or grease inside the hose so you can get the water pump in it without having to fight it. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE UPPER CLAMP ON THE HOSE LOOSELY FIRST! Also, it is easier to tighten the clamps if the screw end faces the crankshaft side - Toward the right side of the coach, so you can get in to tighten them.

I do have an overhaul kit for my pump, but I have never pulled the spring circle clip out of the housing.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 04-08-2015

Be sure to properly set the lash between the gears before tightening the block bolts. The longest bolt on your right is used to pivot the pump when setting the lash which I believe is .006, but will be specified in the instructions.
The other large "O" ring is for the front plastic face plate which you will need a large mallet and a 1" round oak dowel or hard plastic block which will be used to tap the plastic faceplate in to seat the "O" ring while at the same time working the large snap ring into the groove. Take your time and be patient as the faceplate, '"O" ring, and snap ring must be completely seated or it will leak.
The snap ring once completely started all the way around, can be tapped into place with a long drift pin punch working your way around from one direction.
The flat lands on the inside of the snap ring should be almost flush with the edge of the pumps faceplate opening.

Above all, be patient.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 04-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Do you have snow tires or chains? From what I see, I think one or the other is needed.
Yes sir...I carry chains. Was concerned about clearance but they fit great. Haven't used them in the snow yet... traction wasn't an issue when this pic was taken after airing down the tag. Out west anything the size of a Wanderlodge is legally required to carry chains November 1st to April 1st over most mountain passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johannesen View Post
The round o-ring, which is actually square, goes between the pump and block. I use Permatex Form-a-Gasket in the groove so the gasket won't fall off when you are wrestling it in.
Good idea... I delayed my work on this until tonight or tomorrow because I didn't have the gasket sealant I thought I had. Good tips about the hoses too -- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Be sure to properly set the lash between the gears before tightening the block bolts. The longest bolt on your right is used to pivot the pump when setting the lash which I believe is .006, but will be specified in the instructions.
The other large "O" ring is for the front plastic face plate which you will need a large mallet and a 1" round oak dowel or hard plastic block which will be used to tap the plastic faceplate in to seat the "O" ring while at the same time working the large snap ring into the groove. Take your time and be patient as the faceplate, '"O" ring, and snap ring must be completely seated or it will leak.
The snap ring once completely started all the way around, can be tapped into place with a long drift pin punch working your way around from one direction.
The flat lands on the inside of the snap ring should be almost flush with the edge of the pumps faceplate opening.

Above all, be patient.
Ok Barry. So much useful stuff here. I have a snap ring plier set, so that hsould help. I will be patient and take my time with it. Wanderlodge is excellent at reinforcing "do it once and do it right". But I still end up usually having to do it two or three times to do it how I want it to end up.

Can you talk more about setting the lash? I didn't get any install instructions with my pump and haven't found hardly anything on the internet about setting the lash. I've got a set of feeler gauges. Is it as simple as I mesh the gears, and then make sure the angle of the pump is at the correct point to where I've got a gap of 0.006 on one side when the other side is in contact with the gear from the block?

I know that the gearing is oiled by the engine...should I put anything on the gear before I get it in all the way? Or do I just get the lash set correctly and button it all up? Thanks again.
1991 Bluebird Minibird
Old 04-10-2015

Check the gear backlash by installing bolts in the impeller puller holes and using an indicator or dial gauge to measure the impeller movement which should be from .001 to .006” when the impeller is rocked back and forth. Loosen the pump bolts and pivot the pump at the dowel to obtain the proper lash adjustment and then tighten all bolts to the specified torque.
At this point you can install the outer plastic cover, “O” ring, and large C scalloped clip as follows:

Install a new seal “O” ring in the seal ring groove in the pump body.
Install the water pump cover making sure the seal ring is properly seated in the groove.
Compress the ends of the retaining ring while starting to feed it into the retaining groove in the pump body, proceeding in a clockwise direction until it is started in the groove.
With a plastic or wooden mallet, strike the plastic pump cover at the 12:00, 9:00, 6:00 and 3:00 o’clock positions. This will allow the retaining ring to spread into the groove while seating the “O” ring. You will need to repeat this operation several times.
Now using a metal drift punch, carefully strike the retaining ring outward with the mallet starting with the visible end of the rcalloped ring and proceeding in a counterclockwise direction. Strike around the circumference of the ring 2 to 3 times until the ring is fully seated in the groove.
The retaining ring will be fully seated when 3/16” or less of the ring, measured radially, is visible.
The flat lands of the scalloped ring will be within 1/8 to 1/16” to the edge of the pump cover opening.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 04-10-2015
ANOTHER REDNECK

MAN , John or Barry save this somewhere...........Too tired to remember but i know we will need this down the road

great writeup
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 04-10-2015

Thanks Woody, learned this when ours dropped the pump last October and spent 2 days at a turnpike rest stop while we located the pump and had to drill out the lower 4.5" pivot bolt.
Not fun or cheap to say the least.

Hope you are feeling better after surgery.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com