Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > Feedback

Feedback Have an idea or suggestion to make this forum better? Put it out there in the open so the Blue Bird community can talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Hard for me to find too much wrong with this site considering the many sites that have been on over the years that have deteriorated to near worthless due to poor management. I have a jeep forum and a HVAC forum that have both reached that point.

The search is the worst part of this site, not sure there is a way to improve it do to the massive number of post daily and the accumulated history to search.
And when too much info is our biggest problem,, well that ain't too bad.

Seems like the local search is near worthless, and The Google search function has no date preference.

My problem is remembering thread title. Trying to see what happened to a thread you posted on or read with interest, and it disappears when you read it and all you can pull up is the last day of post.
But if all else fails and you really need to find a thread, you can usually just ask about a thread you remember and someone will recall.

I guess if I had a complaint it would have to be the PM. If you use it at all it stays full all the time.

So my only suggestion for improvement, I wish everyone had an e mail instead of PM.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 07-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEROD View Post
I think this is an excellent site. I appreciate everything that the moderators do to keep things running smoothly in tbe background������ this is an amazing resource. I would not have a Bird without first becoming excited about the purchase on this site. Now I am very much a newbie to this site and Bird ownership. Actually about a year ago today I think. But I love this site. It makes me love my Bird even more! Any great thing can be made better, I'm sure that's was the intention of this thread, THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED! I hope to meet some of you in the future.
We'd like to meet you, too. Come to the Michigan rally in Ludington....
Old 07-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
While the forum is great, and I find it very helpful and really appreciate the input from everyone, I find it to be not very intuitive. I find it frustrating that when I search for something, most of the time I cannot find what I am looking for, but get all kinds of other stuff not related to my search. I don't usually have that issue on other forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Hard for me to find too much wrong with this site considering the many sites that have been on over the years that have deteriorated to near worthless due to poor management. I have a jeep forum and a HVAC forum that have both reached that point.

The search is the worst part of this site, not sure there is a way to improve it do to the massive number of post daily and the accumulated history to search.
And when too much info is our biggest problem,, well that ain't too bad.

Seems like the local search is near worthless, and The Google search function has no date preference.

My problem is remembering thread title. Trying to see what happened to a thread you posted on or read with interest, and it disappears when you read it and all you can pull up is the last day of post.
But if all else fails and you really need to find a thread, you can usually just ask about a thread you remember and someone will recall.

I guess if I had a complaint it would have to be the PM. If you use it at all it stays full all the time.

So my only suggestion for improvement, I wish everyone had an e mail instead of PM.

I have no clue how to make a search easier. I know some guys seem to be able to find anything. But sometimes when I try it isn't easy. Even trying to find my own stuff that I posted and have pretty good knowledge of what the post or thread was about. The Google search works much better than WOG search, but still misses stuff. I think some of the problems are self-inflicted. We have all seen and done the "Oops I Goofed" title or something similar and it goes on to discuss some really good stuff about a repair or replacement of a component. The title of threads are sometimes nowhere near what the thread is really about. That doesn't include thread drift or theft. If we all got better about naming our threads maybe it would help with the search.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-27-2017
Forum owner

Heres the problem with the search engine.
Joe blow needs an air bag.
He starts his thread on the tail end of a thread that was started in 1999.
The original thread was about tires that morphed into air bags.

When he should have started a new thread titled "Air bag for 1999 LXI needed"
So,the next guy that needs an LXI air bag searchs for "LXI air bag needed" and the thread pops right up.

The first thread was about tires,so you get nothing.

Thats why i started the threads about air bags.

FC air bags

PT air bags

WB air bags

LXI air bags
They kind of work,actually,i use those threads when i need numbers,so they work fine.

Now we need to start a thread titled "gas shock part numbers"
And everybody post bay door part numbers
Tailgate part numbers
Airline cabinet part numbers
etc.etc..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-27-2017
Forum owner

its not the search engine,its the way we post the thread.

Thread titles are important,when you start a new thread it needs to be about the problem.
Like this:
1992 wide body, do not shift light

Now,when someone does a search for "do not shift" the thread will pop up.
you guys see how this works?

When i search i remember that KC had a do not shift light,so i search "KC,do not shift light" and his thread pops up.
I read every thread,every post,and i remember who had an issue,or who has a certain model year coach.

Like an early PT coach,if i need info i would search "Markus pt40" or "Shane pt40"
something like that.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-27-2017

Randy, how about an INDEX TAB which will pop up those Thread Catagories you listed that would allow someone to select the subject section to search or add a NEW THREAD to.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 07-27-2017

Most of the problems are with the users not the forum . I'm certainly as guilty as any but as stated if we were careful in our thread titles and avoided thread drift we'd help the cause. I'll promise to try to do better. Some times if I can't remember or find something I'll search under the name of one of the people I remember having posted on the subject. I almost always find what I am looking for might just take a little longer.

I've found that immediate help for bigger problems is almost always available that's worth its weight in gold

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-27-2017
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

One upside to having the search akward and inefficient is that it takes us to parts unknown and for the most part we all get to learn a little more about different Birds and issues we may not have an immediate need to know. It broadens our horizons so to speak and for me it's part of the fun... Part of the adventure! But, if your in a hurry its no fun. Kinda like getting lost on the road.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-27-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I have no clue how to make a search easier. I know some guys seem to be able to find anything. But sometimes when I try it isn't easy. Even trying to find my own stuff that I posted and have pretty good knowledge of what the post or thread was about. The Google search works much better than WOG search, but still misses stuff. I think some of the problems are self-inflicted. We have all seen and done the "Oops I Goofed" title or something similar and it goes on to discuss some really good stuff about a repair or replacement of a component. The title of threads are sometimes nowhere near what the thread is really about. That doesn't include thread drift or theft. If we all got better about naming our threads maybe it would help with the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post

One of the best tricks is to recall the WOG 'nym of a member who posted in the thread. Then go to the member's profile, click on the 'Statistics' tab, and work thru the list of their posts.

G'luck!

This works for your own threads too, it is amazing what can be found if a member takes the time to look through the tips found on the WOG, I suggest that a start with going through
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > How to use the Forum Features

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-28-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Randy, how about an INDEX TAB which will pop up those Thread Catagories you listed that would allow someone to select the subject section to search or add a NEW THREAD to.
Thats way above my pay grade,but i can ask..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com