Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 05-13-2019

Default Slack Adjuster on '77FC

As I was looking for a source of a vibration noise (sometimes happens around 60-67MPH) I found my front left (drivers/road-side) slack adjuster has a fair amount of horizontal play on its shaft. I don't think this is normal and am curious as to how to fix this play. Any input is welcome, thanks.

Please see a video of the issue HERE.
virtue1@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue22 View Post
As I was looking for a source of a vibration noise (sometimes happens around 60-67MPH) I found my front left (drivers/road-side) slack adjuster has a fair amount of horizontal play on its shaft. I don't think this is normal and am curious as to how to fix this play. Any input is welcome, thanks.

Please see a video of the issue HERE.
Tighten the bolt before it falls off. Its held on with a snap ring instead of a bolt and after looking at your video I don't think you have much of a problem. You can shim it a bit tighter if you like. Here is the deal, if you don't know Air Brakes, take it to someone that understands the system.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-13-2019

Thanks, a shim would make sense. I was just not seeing any "adjustment" as far as a bolt but need to look closer for a snap ring. I do understand air brakes are a life or death deal and would not try to "adjust" something I was not familiar with. It just seemed loose and I needed the opinion of the WOG as to a legitimate fix. I do believe this is the sound I'm hearing/feeling at 65mph and would like to rectify this vibration before an extended trip.

Thanks again, Matt
virtue1@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2019
Forum owner

I don't think you have a problem,all slacks will move like yours.
But you should learn how to adjust them,you never know when you may need to do so.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-13-2019

I really doubt that is your vibration. It just sits there going down the road until you apply the brakes. No reason it would vibrate.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-13-2019

I found the recommended “end play,” which should be between .005- and .025-inch. I'll measure and shim if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
But you should learn how to adjust them,you never know when you may need to do so.
I agree Randy, I've done a bit of research and it does not look too involved and as with anything else I'll learn everything I can and jump in...Thanks!
virtue1@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2019
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I really doubt that is your vibration. It just sits there going down the road until you apply the brakes. No reason it would vibrate.
x2 - I doubt this is what you are feeling. There's no reason for it to vibrate and when in use the pressure on it won't let it vibrate. I think you need to keep looking, axle bearing, brakes, drive shaft, carriage bearing, etc...

I found a vibration in my old '63 conversion that drove me nuts! It would vibrate over 65mph consistently. I had the drive shafts balanced, the u-joints replaced, the carriage barrings replaced. then one day I was researching the GMC 401 v6 and found it red lined at a very low rpm. I slowed it down a bit and the vibration went away. Sometimes it's not obvious.

And yes, I had to replace that engine not long after.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 05-16-2019

Thanks, everyone.

I agree that the slack adjuster is not the source of the vibration but it was the source of the slight thumping I heard at 65mph (sounded like a little man with a tiny rubber mallet tapping on the bottom of the bus).

I shimmed the adjuster to within specs and the noise stopped, but I do need to find the original source causing the vibration on the front driver's side wheel...possible wheel balance issue?

If I find it I'll let you know, it may now be more difficult to find as the only indication was a vibrating adjuster that HAD excessive end play and it only made a noise once in a while when the conditions were right.

Thanks again, Matt
virtue1@gmail.com