Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default M380 A/C

Firing up my A/C's for the first time (it was 5* the day I picked up the coach) and ran into something I don't understand.
1. On 50A service -- 120V on both legs (I know both legs work because I've been powering the electric heaters and outlets all winter)
2. Both dash A/C switches are ON
3. Set both zones to COOL and temp to 60* (it's 70* in the coach)
4. Rear zone immediately kicked on and got very cold within a couple of minutes
5. Front zone remained totally silent
6. Set front zone to FAN and the fan began to run
7. Set front zone back to COOL and fan shut down
8. Set rear zone to OFF and retried same front zone sequence (COOL then FAN then COOL) -- same result (fan works on FAN but nothing happening on COOL)
9. I sat down at my laptop to ask you guys for help and about half way through my post (maybe 5 minutes), the front A/C suddenly starts running and is cooling fine.

What the ..........??
So, while I'm happy everything is working, any ideas why the long delay on the front kicking on? Just in case it matters, I did set the thermostat for COOL on the back A/C (zone 2) first -- is there circuitry that forces a time delay before the other zone is allowed to start?

Thanks
Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Jim, I feel your pain and hope I can help.

The thermostat does have a built in delay but I think it is only a couple of minutes. Since you can control the front unit's fan, I would rule initially out the thermostat, control wiring and the 12VDC and 110 VAC power. These HVAC Heat Pump units have three capacitors that are used to start the compressor. Maybe one or more of them is failing. I had to replace a set of them several years ago. I purchased replacements from PPL in Houston (details are attached). There is also a hard start kit that may still be available.

I ultimately replaced the entire rear unit a few years later. The Dometic/Duotherm website has technical literature you can download. Let me know if you cannot download it and I will try to send copies if you give me your email address.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default M380 Roof A/C Thermostat Manual & Capacitor Issues

Jim

When I first got the coach, my thermostat wasn’t working correctly. Investigation revealed that the front A/C control board DIP switches (found inside front roof A/C cowling) were not set correctly. It appeared they hadn’t been set correctly the prior 10 years for the PO . I did this and also went through the thermostat reset procedure. Like magic, both units began working correctly after their normal startup delays. The attached PDF file has the info you’ll need to diagnose your issues. A few years ago, a capacitor went out on my front unit. Standard replacement capacitor isn’t expensive and used to be available on Amazon. A little later I installed a Micro-Air computer start (allows powering off my Magnum & Solar midday). That’s discussed starting with post #26 HERE or https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=347168. The compressor start delay on that unit is like a minute and the unit is not cheap. However, it really smooths out the locked rotor current draw spike.

Good luck with it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccc5.pdf (672.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Geek

There should be a five-minute delay before an A/C comes on, when turned on at the thermostat. That's to let the pressure bleed off the compressor in case it had just been turned off.

If the thermostat is on when the power is applied the A/C will normally start immediately.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks all for the quick responses and especially the attachments. Y'all are way too accommodating, but I'm not complaining!! I take some degree of comfort in learning that others have been down this path and that it's not just me.

Dan: Thought I had downloaded the Dometic heatpump manuals but only see the 5 button thermostat and refrigerator stuff in my archive. I'll go out and look for the others. Can never have too much stuff to read!

Don: Good to know that this may be "normal". I could have triggered the delay restart as I was fumbling around between the zones at the thermostat.

All of the suggestions are now on my "to do" list. In descending order, will check dip switch setup, replace capacitors just because they're cheap, and look at where the cost of the e-z-start upgrade fits into my extensive project list.

Still have a couple of "get ready for the road" items to finish up so will keep fingers crossed that the A/C's continue working until they rise to the top of the list.

Thanks
Jim