Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-06-2019

I was just trying to point out that you have done about all that you can do and yet you are still apparently not satisfied that your engine will be reliable. At that point, maybe it is “in your head “.
Old 05-08-2019

I got the word that the liner protrusion was .002 on all cylinders with the spec being .001 - .004. The head and block surface are in good shape and flat, so there is no need to do more than clean it up and put it back together.
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
... so there is no need to do more than clean it up and put it back together.
I disagree, you need to... Those liners are perfectly in spec (as was likely the case for the head gasket ). If spending $5 or $6 K in peace of mind money is/was what you needed to feel comfortable, that’s fine. However, my suggestion is what you need to do now is get out there and enjoy the coach. See what it can do for you and your family. In doing that perhaps you will gain some much needed confidence in the coach. I hope that will then allow you to relax and start enjoying yourself.
Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
I disagree. Those liners are perfectly in spec (as was likely the case for the head gasket ). If spending $5K in peace of mind money is was what you needed to feel comfortable, that’s fine. However, my suggestion is what you need to do now is get out there and enjoy the coach. See what it can do for you and your family. In doing that perhaps you will gain some much needed (on your part) confidence that will then allow you to relax and start enjoying the coach yourself.
The gasket showed every indication that it was progressing similarly to all of the gaskets that have resulted in failures. I chose to do the gasket replacement because I decided that it was money well spent. Now I know exactly what I have and with a few modifications I am starting with a blank slate and the means of monitoring EGTs. For me, I purchased some peace of mind and, as suggested, we plan to use the **** out of it. Our first trip will be to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore.
Old 05-18-2019

I picked the bus up last night, it runs great, I’d swear it is smoother than it was prior...probably just psychosomatic. I’ve been building some ramps to pull it up on. I’m using 2X6s flat, glued and screwed.
Old 05-18-2019

Congrats, Chris - bet you’re glad this is behind you. One question, if another M380 owner drove into that shop and asked them to duplicate your work, would they do it for the same price? Just wondering if it was harder than they thought.
Old 05-18-2019

They revised the estimate after I brought it in because there was no access from the bedroom. They split the difference and did it for just over $5k. I have read that others have had it done for under $4k, especially if nothing is really wrong with it. When they did mine, there was nothing else found to drive e the price up and I never heard that it was harder than they expected. They did take the door off as well as the coolant tank. They also changed the belts and a number of clamps.
Old 05-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I picked the bus up last night, it runs great, I’d swear it is smoother than it was prior...probably just psychosomatic. I’ve been building some ramps to pull it up on. I’m using 2X6s flat, glued and screwed.
Know exactly what you’re talking about. I had the valves adjusted (Cummins tried to talk me out of doing it - too low miles) and then the tranny adjusted/serviced by Allison + switched to Transynd. On drive home brain told me it was shifting way smoother and motor was quieter/had more power. Psychosomatic or rationalization for spending the $$, for sure .

When you design your ramps, make sure the step ups nest. Put swivel wheels on one side and a big handle on the other. Standing them on their sides makes storage easier and the wheels/handle make use a snap (they’re heavy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026F2D32-8CD6-4776-BCD5-A96606A2D0E8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	62010  
Old 05-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Know exactly what you’re talking about. I had the valves adjusted (Cummins tried to talk me out of doing it - too low miles) and then the tranny adjusted/serviced by Allison + switched to Transynd. On drive home brain told me it was shifting way smoother and motor was quieter/had more power. Psychosomatic or rationalization for spending the $$, for sure .

When you design your ramps, make sure the step ups nest. Put swivel wheels on one side and a big handle on the other. Standing them on their sides makes storage easier and the wheels/handle make use a snap (they’re heavy).
Thank you for the tips on the ramps. 4 lbs of screws and 3 tubes of heavy duty Liquid Nails later, I got them done and the bus is in the garage and sitting on them as we speak. I made them 5' long and stepped them up every 1' and left 2" for the the platform.
Old 06-02-2019

I spent a couple of hours over the last few days routing the pyrometer cabling from the engine to the dash. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I routed it into the cable chase that some have mentioned that runs through the top of all the bays, between the frame rails. They are open on both ends of the bus. They start just forward of the rear axle and end just aft of the front wheel wells. Using a 25ft wire fish, made it pretty easy.

I continued the cable between the forward frame rails and combined it with a number of other cables that travel through an opening just above generator in/out switch in the DS compressor compartment. There is a gap right there at the corner of the electrical compartment that the cable fits through easily, then route it up with all the wires the lead into the compartment directly below the DS side window. Once in there, the opening to the dash area is at the forward end of the compartment.

I will tear the dash apart today or tomorrow to install the gauge.