Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 05-12-2019

Rick,
The stain on the disk is from neglect on my part. Until a couple of years ago, I did not know you were supposed to start the burner once a month. Since I had it serviced, (nozzle/filter) I have stated it at least monthly and burns clean.

What parts do you recommend besides the flange? bearing, disk, nozzle etc?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-12-2019

As long as that puppy runs and isn't smoking, I wouldn't replace anything other than the nozzle and fuel filter. I do carry a few spares. Motor, pump photo cell 4 or 5 nozzle and filters. Oh and I carry Roberta's complete new Burner Head just incase I can't repair whats in there now.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-13-2019

Thank you Rick,

I ordered the parts this morning, flange and spare nozzles/filters. AH said same the thing as you about replacing parts while I am replacing the flange.

"As long as that puppy runs and isn't smoking, I wouldn't replace anything other than the nozzle and fuel filter."

The enclosed file is from the service manual. Any "lessons learned" from experience?

You have an impressive (and expensive) list of spare parts. "Oh and I carry Roberta's complete new Burner Head"

Who is Roberta?

Thanks again,

Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05131900.PDF (127.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-15-2019

The burner has been disassembled and I am awaiting the new burner casting.

The previous diagram posted was not exactly like what came apart. The PDF in this post is what came apart.

Hopefully I can put humpty dumpty back together again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apart1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	61948  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf burnerdoc.pdf (83.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-17-2019

Yesterday in anxious anticipation of the burner casting delivery, I decide to get the parts cleaned up and organized for reassembly.

The first thing I find is the burner gasket is petrified. It comes out of the groove in crumbly pieces. nice.

I call Aquahot and asked them how much for the gasket/shipping (over night envelope). I hear "we do not do that. we ship everything ups ground, a minimum of 1 lb. you would get it in 5 business days. go to our website and see if there is an authorized AH dealer in your area."
Now that is customer service!!
I find there is a place not too far and call them. Incredibly they have it in stock. score. they also carry good selection of parts, but no burner casting.

I start to inspect the rest of the parts. I find what looks like a plastic part falling from the fuel pump(I think) drive gear well. Closer inspection it is dry, crumbly, gritty, old grease.

My parts are out for delivery .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gasket.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	61984   Click image for larger version

Name:	grease.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	61985  
Old 05-19-2019

Hey all,
To make a long story short, my aquahot is back together. More surprising to me it works!
The reassembly took awhile and after plugging the wire harness to the burner, the plastic housing would not slid on all of the way. It would get to a point and it would hit something and stop.
Dis-connect harness and back on the bench. Turns out, the rear cover the motor is mounted to, is not symmetrical and if installed incorrectly, the plastic housing will not go on correctly. I rotated it to proper orientation and the cover went on properly.
Folding back into a pretzel, I put the burner back together and installed to the combustion chamber. Paying careful attention to not over tighten the retaining nuts. Although using 1/4 inch drive, it seems it would take a lot to break the casting.
I sure learned a lot and no longer afraid of the aquahot.
A challenging (for me) project but a rewarding result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	62013  
Old 05-19-2019

Congrats Dennis that is an accomplishment!
Old 06-06-2019

This may end up sounding like a country song.

As i continued to prepare for my summer "vacation", it is time for an oil change.

I take it to the regular place, and after coming off the ramps, I shut down and asked the tech to recheck the oil level. He pulls the dip stick and instead of showing me, he quarters away and says it good. (my experience the tech shows me the oil level)
I say OK, and start up to leave and get about 1/2 out of the parking lot and stop and shut down. Checking the oil level it is OVER the O on the over filled on the dip stick. I asked the service manager to come out and please check the oil. Hey, its 2 gallons over filled. Back into the shop with demanded different tech to drain and fill to proper level. I get stink eye from the original tech.

I finally get back home, plug in, start fridge b/c of defrosting, and get ready to head to costco to stock up. go back to the bus and I smell ammonia! I call leon, he says yep bad cooling unit common 15-18 years. $1500 to fix can get me in in 2 weeks. In 2 days, I will be gone for 3 months. I will get back with him.I look for damage where the stink eye tech could have poked it with a screw driver and find nothing. Fortunately we have a small fridge that fits(pic).

I go to move my pickup truck and the batteries are dead. Unplanned repair but 7 year batteries it is time.

Why do I update this thread?

During the fridge investigation, the water pump starts running. (it has been on since the pressure relief valve replacement). water is coming out of the same place. I shut off the water pump, and back on. No leak, no running pump. The bus is packed for an AM departure, I have no interest in unpacking the basement to dig into the &**&%)&%$ aquahot again knowing it is the same thing. Is the new water pump installed last fall the problem? Do not know. I will live the summer turning the pump off when not in use.

I will start a new thread on my 3 month summer adventure. Where do I put it?
work and camping? yes
full timing? yes
where are you? Salina, Kansas
under the awning?

I will pick one and let the moderators move if desired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fridge1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	62348  
Old 06-07-2019

This would lead one to start drinking
Old 06-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
This may end up sounding like a country song.

As i continued to prepare for my summer "vacation", it is time for an oil change.

I take it to the regular place, and after coming off the ramps, I shut down and asked the tech to recheck the oil level. He pulls the dip stick and instead of showing me, he quarters away and says it good. (my experience the tech shows me the oil level)
I say OK, and start up to leave and get about 1/2 out of the parking lot and stop and shut down. Checking the oil level it is OVER the O on the over filled on the dip stick. I asked the service manager to come out and please check the oil. Hey, its 2 gallons over filled. Back into the shop with demanded different tech to drain and fill to proper level. I get stink eye from the original tech.

I finally get back home, plug in, start fridge b/c of defrosting, and get ready to head to costco to stock up. go back to the bus and I smell ammonia! I call leon, he says yep bad cooling unit common 15-18 years. $1500 to fix can get me in in 2 weeks. In 2 days, I will be gone for 3 months. I will get back with him.I look for damage where the stink eye tech could have poked it with a screw driver and find nothing. Fortunately we have a small fridge that fits(pic).

I go to move my pickup truck and the batteries are dead. Unplanned repair but 7 year batteries it is time.

Why do I update this thread?

During the fridge investigation, the water pump starts running. (it has been on since the pressure relief valve replacement). water is coming out of the same place. I shut off the water pump, and back on. No leak, no running pump. The bus is packed for an AM departure, I have no interest in unpacking the basement to dig into the &**&%)&%$ aquahot again knowing it is the same thing. Is the new water pump installed last fall the problem? Do not know. I will live the summer turning the pump off when not in use.

I will start a new thread on my 3 month summer adventure. Where do I put it?
work and camping? yes
full timing? yes
where are you? Salina, Kansas
under the awning?

I will pick one and let the moderators move if desired.
Ensure that fridge is secure. how is it attached to the walls?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656