Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 05-19-2019

Default fuel in valley while engine not running

Hello .
Just came back from a long two month trip in our 83 FC. When we got home we realized that there was fuel in the valley of the Cat.
So I cleaned it up properly with Break cleaner and left it.
week later the valley was full of fuel again.
I had the fuel pump professionally replaced 300 hours ago ( about 1.5 years ago) It did not leak at all .
The fact that it is leaking when I am not running the engine seems odd to me. I have gone through all the past posts on fuel in the valley but I cannot find anything about leaks when the engine is not running.
Is there a diagram out there that labels the fuel pump properly so I can try and figure out where this leak is coming from?
Any method to find the leak that is relatively easy?
Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
I spent a great deal of money fixing this fuel pump the first time. It has run great and I have no issues with the performance of the system....
Just hoping to educate myself so I can with luck fix my problem .

Thanks

David
Old 05-19-2019
Administrator

It may be difficult but need to find the leak, Top of fuel pump, input fuel lines,
fuel lines to injectors, throttle rod, etc, There is space under the fuel pump that collects fuel if front nose is down, there are three tubes that leak fuel under the bus when there is a problem, see if there is fuel under the bus.
Old 05-19-2019

A few years ago I had a fuel in the valley issue. Had less than 100 hrs on a reman. Called a mobile Cat Tech who came and replaced the shaft seal and turned the pump up. Drove from here to London, On and had fuel in the valley again. Had it repaired at Cat in London.

My problem when trying to find the leak was pushing the fuel forward with my shop rags. Just clean the valley really well and pour baby powder around the fuel pump and valley. The fuel will cut a path through the powder. Track up hill to the leak.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-19-2019

Check your vent tubes, mud dubers can plug them up
Old 05-19-2019

I had fuel leaking into the valley when the engine wasn’t running from a cracked governor cover foot. Took many, many hours of sitting in the SP igloo to find this one. Brake cleaner and foot powder spray are your friends. Couldn’t really see this crack until I took a picture and enlarged it. I think it was caused by the pump alignment pin being a rch too long.

If you enlarge this pic you may see a crack from upper right to lower left.

New cover was installed without an alignment pin.

Good luck!!!
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 05-19-2019

It's very rare to encounter a correctly installed injection pump. Hollow dowel in center of cover bottom, long shank 5/16 x 18 bolt for additional support on one of the mount holes, I've seen either one slightly smaller I.D. for solid shank bolt. Then there's the special thick support washers that you will never see. Might have been a recall item, hard to tell with dealing with classic/obsolete machinery. There are two yellow silicone o-rings routinely installed under the rear pump casting, I've come to the conclusion that's a mistake to use them. Believe there's a good chance it creates leverage on the casting corners loaded with bolt torque, resulting in a crack.
Don't toss cracked cast covers, they're repairable.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 05-19-2019

wow thanks for the fast feed back.
So
1. I did clean the pump with brake cleaner and let dry.
then covered in powder.
ran the engine ( thought it would speed things up)
engine started first time with less than a revolution after sitting for a month.
No leak found yet

2. checked all vent tubes. all new and still look good and are clear

3. David Thanks for the Picture. I really don't understand what I am looking at . do you have a bigger version?
was your crack on the back pump cover?
sorry Im just a little lost where to look but I think you are right.

4. Mike. thanks for the input. as per your recommendations almost two years ago I went out and found some old timers that had worked on this vintage equipment. they loved it. I felt they were good at what they were doing but then I know so little. between them they figured they had done at least 1000 of these pumps.
yes they ( we) used the yellow O rings.
so where should I look for a crack?>
as I said above no leak so far. seems very slow.

Is there a diagram that is well labeled that would help me orientate myself??

all the help is greatly appreciated.
The bus has run great over the last 1.5 years with trips to Mexico, the Yukon and Alaska and back east. lots of miles but no too many hours. really hope to figure this out.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave
Old 05-19-2019

The crack is in the shinny area of the pump. While holding down the CTRL key hit the + key until you can see the crack. When finished looking hold the CTRL key and hit the 0 key.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The crack is in the shinny area of the pump. While holding down the CTRL key hit the + key until you can see the crack. When finished looking hold the CTRL key and hit the 0 key.
That works if your an old timer like us. These younger guys all use a stupid I-phone or whatever. They are SOL.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 05-20-2019

Blue kleenx tissue is also a good ID tool to show leak spots. I never tried the powder method David describes. Shooting images then blowup is also a great method. Thanks