Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Birds Of a Feather (BOF)

Birds Of a Feather (BOF) The group that organized the Albuquerque Balloon Rally came up with a new Bluebird RV Group called Birds Of a Feather (BOF), you can find out about their future events here.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
Wow! Very nice. After reading about the WOGers who went there after Quartzite this year I have been thinking of giving it a try next year.

Thank You!
You ought to...once you go you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 04-05-2015

Neal,
Great tutorial. Thanks
Old 04-06-2015

Nice write up Neal.Thanks
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 04-06-2015

Great write up. Thanks! We would sure be interested in going. Before Q works best for us, and sounds like more room at the resort too.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 04-06-2015

Thanks you all. Draft #2 is almost ready to go. If you have any questions, please ask them...it will make the finished document better for everyone.

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
I have been going into this area for the last 35 years or so. Playa Bonita Resort (where Rick, et al met up with us) begins to get busy about the time of Q. Still, they could likely handle all the coaches that wanted to rent a spot. I'd suggest that the Mexico trip be done prior to Q. Then the resort is relatively empty. There is also a dry camping beach about a 1/4 away from Play Bonita...short walking distance. We should be getting to Penasco about the time of Q (more or less) and will be parked at the dry camping beach or out at a friends oyster farm. If there is any assistance I can give to helping a group to go to Mexico, just shout...

EDIT: Maybe I should begin writing a "how-to" on visiting Mexico for first-timers?
We really enjoyed Q this year! This sounds like a great add on, and we would certainly be interested in going. Before Q works best for us too. We will be watching for additional info.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 04-06-2015
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Nice write up Neal.

I use to go to Rocky Point two times a year for over 20 years myself. I've seen and experienced just about every kind of situation you can imagine down there. I exclusively went to Playa Bonita with the RV and to Sandy Beach before the condos were built that blocks out the views now.

I've been stopped for just about everything you can think of; speeding (4mph over), bringing in a portable fridge (import duty tax), bullets left in a car (no gun), in the middle of the desert for no reason at all by 19 yr old Federalies, and because my sister looked Spanish

I quit going around 2008 when the officials wanted so much bribe money for the "right" to use their airport, they wanted the owner of the Jump Plane to sign power of attorney over to them, There was a shoot out in Rocky Point, and my friends cabin in Cholla Bay started getting broken into every year. I've had sand in my fuel after fueling down there, and when I got a flat I could not find a repair facility that could handle our tires.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but there's a lot you didn't mention or experience and I feel the need to throw this up there too. On the US side I've been removed from my bus, dogs sniffing the entire coach and bays, and even had the pleasure of having my bus X-ray'd too!

Is it fun down there? Yes. Would I go back? Maybe. But just want to warn people that there are other issues and I think organizing and going in groups would be much safer. I have all kinds of stories about my experiences and my friends.

Playa Bonita also had a hotel next to the RV Park and a nice breakfast buffet too. Senior Frogs, Manny's, Old Boys Social Club, & JJ's are also points of interest to see.

I can also tell you, do NOT get hurt down there! The "hospital" is nothing more than a small clinic with diluted pain medication. A skydiver broke his back and they would not let him leave until his bill was paid for in CASH! We took up a collection and then drove him to the border where a helicopter took him to Tucson.

One last comment. It's been my experience you have to reserve your slots in advance. We used to send mail to Lukeville with our deposits, Playa Bonita receives mail there. The beach slots were always booked a year in advanced and seldom available. We'd book ours as a group so we could save entire rows and be close together.

Have fun.. but beware! I'll probably not join you on this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck - CIMG0023.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	34868   Click image for larger version

Name:	5090_1110020444287_1640143892_255040_7650375_n.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	34869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus-Xray.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	34870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	34871  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-06-2015

Hi Neal,

What about phone and internet access in Mexico?

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Hi Neal,

What about phone and internet access in Mexico?

Thanks, Joe
Good question Joe ! Phone service via cell phones is available to nearly all cell carriers, though I understand it gets pricey (Dee shuts her phone off when we get near the border - only using it if we had an emergency). I would check with your own carrier as to their price/availability, but I have seen so many Americans and Canadians using their cell phones that I am relatively sure all carriers have agreements with TELMEX for service.

Internet access comes with the rent at Playa Bonita RV Resort. It is a wireless system and I believe they have about nine access points scattered about the park. It is not lightning quick, but it works. It is up and running about 90% of the time. I run a MagicJack VOIP app on my Ipad which gives us rudimentary phone service to the US and Mexico (at 4 cents per minute).

I noticed that many more business in town have free wifi for their customers...still a lot of open networks too .

Does this answer your question Joe? I will add this to the FAQ.

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
On the US side I've been removed from my bus, dogs sniffing the entire coach and bays, and even had the pleasure of having my bus X-ray'd too!
Hi Michael,

How did that X ray turn out? Must be pretty powerful to go through a Bluebird!!

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Closed Thread