Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-05-2015
Gardner

Default Saved by the Progressive

We stopped an Campark campground near Colonial Williamsburg. They have only grass sites and very few 50 amp. They have dozens and dozens of real old 30/20 amp though. (see pic) I pulled in, spread the ant killer under the tires and plugged in the 50 amp. The Progressive display was flashing unintelligibly. I shut it off and tried the 30 amp, that was OK.

So I hooked up to the neighboring empty site 50 amp and all worked fine. I have no idea what is wrong with the original 50 amp, but it probably would have smoked something had the Progressive not blocked it.

Progressive is expensive, but also priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campark-1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	35440  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
We stopped an Campark campground near Colonial Williamsburg. They have only grass sites and very few 50 amp. They have dozens and dozens of real old 30/20 amp though. (see pic) I pulled in, spread the ant killer under the tires and plugged in the 50 amp. The Progressive display was flashing unintelligibly. I shut it off and tried the 30 amp, that was OK.

So I hooked up to the neighboring empty site 50 amp and all worked fine. I have no idea what is wrong with the original 50 amp, but it probably would have smoked something had the Progressive not blocked it.

One time Bill Pape and I were to share a 30 amp post on our 2 sites. I got there first and my Progressive latched up when I plugged in with a dog-bone. When he arrived, he hurried to warn me that his progressive was showing a polarity problem. Mine was ok. A check of the 2 outlets on the post showed mine to be ok and his to be reversed. The campground electrician was there early the next morning to switch some wires around. The post had been that way for decades, and no one noticed. Those progressive things are smart !!! Don't plug in without one.

Blew mine up once when the generator linkage fell off. A call and description resulted in some new parts....for free. Was glad I installed it to monitor the generator too.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 05-05-2015

Default on sale on Amazon.com

is this the same thing you are using? http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-SSP50-Smart-Surge/dp/B002UC2UB8
Do you have a different one for 30 and 50?
If I use my 50 amp cord all the time with a dog bone adaptor, would the 50A be good?

thanks
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post

Gardner, we stayed at this location when we were down there a couple of years ago. Real nice new area of the campground right by the river. There is an older section that may not be that good the but the new part was nice.

Chickahominy Park - James City County http://www.jamescitycountyva.gov/rec...miny-park.html

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 05-05-2015

Yep, I have been saved twice by one.

There was a group buy some years ago from Tweetys. I was not in on that purchase so I don't know how it was organized. Someone that is interested in buying one should contact Tweetys and try and get an agreement and discounted price for individual orders that are placed referencing "WOG". The agreement could specify a limited time period. It could even be agreed that no orders would be shipped until a minimum quantity of units were ordered.

Alternatively, if Tweetys does not like that arrangement, then a specified quantity one-time purchase could be done. This would require obtaining names and $$ from all those interested, and a single order be placed. This method is harder on the organizer than if WOGGERS could simply order at their leisure straight from Tweetys, and may even require handling and distribution issues.

No, since I already have a unit, I am not interested in organizing it. Just throwing it out there.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 05-05-2015

Rick, was it much cheaper than $115 for the 50 amp model? Or you guys are talking about the hardwired one?
Old 05-05-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

This is the one I purchased http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...rdwire-50.aspx there are various models that can be used here is the page http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=progressive I can't remember what the actual cost was but at the time it was a good deal for WOG members.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-05-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrold View Post
Rick, was it much cheaper than $115 for the 50 amp model? Or you guys are talking about the hardwired one?
This is the unit-Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
It is $304.xx at tweetys.
Most likely you are looking at the surge protector/polarity checker at $115 (Progressive Industries ssp-50 , 97.xx at Tweetys)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-05-2015

can a surge fry devices like the hot water heater or an AC compressor or mostly electronics like microwaves and computers? Just wondering because my inverter/charger has a built-in surge protection and all my electronics and one AC are hooked on that leg. The other leg has the hwh and the two ac.
Old 05-05-2015

yes, I see the difference between the two models. Thanks