Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-06-2015

Default 50DN Voltage Reg. Obsolete

I have a 98 LXi with a Series 60 DD and an oiled cooled 50DN 300amp alternator. Recently, I noticed a 0 reading on the alt gauge while driving and after a 4 hour trip the batteries started reading about 10 volts to engine. In case you weren't aware, warnings pop up on the Detroit Diesel Display when batteries dip below 10 volts. BTW, when your batteries get that low the Allison has a very hard time shifting. For a while I didn't think it would ever make it from 2nd to 3rd. Being a new owner the only thing I could think to do was start the genset and turn everything I could off. That got the batteries back to about just under 12 volts after awhile. I digress though. After a call to Greg Morris in Perry concerning the alternator, (which was just rebuilt in '13) he taught me how to bypass the regulator by using a jump wire from the alt's main terminal to the field terminal. Using the jumper the alt gauge immediately read 300 amps which isolated the problem to the regulator. Greg seems to think it has gone bad and needs replacing and I would have to agree. The problem is I have a Delco-Remy 19020413 reg and it is obsolete and was replaced with 10503807 which seems to be the one I actually have. The 10503807 has five terminals with the Ignition terminal jumped to the Battery terminal since it has a built in relay. This part is also obsolete. I called Delco tech support and was told the regulator was discontinued about a year or so ago and there is no replacement. He was kind enough to give me a list of part stores that may have the part but they are all out of stock. I have spent an entire day searching the net and calling every possible resource and have come up empty handed. Bill Pape told me to call Kirk's up in MI and I spoke with a VERY knowledgeable gent by the name of Mike who could rattle off a string of part numbers used through the years with the 50DN like nobody's business. Long story longer, he thinks I can get away with using Delco's D698 regulator. When I looked it up, it is similar but it doesn't have the "sense" terminal. I read the paper on the original 10503807 and read that the sense wire was only needed if the batteries were more than 10' from the regulator. Mine are right behind the Alt but I do not know if the total length of all the terminal leads account for the 10' rule. I welcome the thoughts and advice from those of you who know your electrical stuff. After running through all the checks and test I have done I realized today that I never tested the actual wire that runs from the Alt's field post to the field terminal on the regulator. I am very doubtful that my problem would be so simple but I plan on testing the wire itself tomorrow. I am very open to suggestions. I really don't want to spend $200 on something that may "work" but cause problems elsewhere down the line.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 07-07-2015

I think he may be right. A number of years ago the alternators on my CAT C-15 became available with a "sense" terminal". IF you ran a wire from here to the batteries, it would then read the voltage directly from the battery, rather than from the normal charge wire to the batteries.

It provides a better way to charge the batteries correctly, but is NOT necessary. I have run with, or without, this wire connected. It works either way.

Without the "sense" wire, it regulates just like it did before any sense wire was available. It just charges the batteries a little more correctly with the wire attached.

Otherwise, what is the option? Change to a different alternator?

Good Luck.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 07-07-2015

This is a problem we are all going to face sooner or later. Let us know what you find out.

Talk to the people at wilsonautoelectric.com and bctruckelectric.com. Try finditparts.com.
Old 07-07-2015

Thanks for the .coms Ron. They were all contacted a couple of days ago during my initial search. I did get a call back from Parliament who said they have been able to source one for me. They all of a sudden want twice the price! The Delco averaged about $130 new and Parliament wants $300 plus shipping. I don't mind paying a premium but being gouged just isn't right. I don't think I'll be using Parliaments services anytime in the future. I have a few more salvage yards to contact.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
Old 07-07-2015

Don't know if this thread would help you: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=16869

A quick search only revealed this: http://www.elreg.com/10503807-50dn-g...ators-12v.html

Good luck!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Don't know if this thread would help you: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=16869

A quick search only revealed this: http://www.elreg.com/10503807-50dn-g...ators-12v.html

Good luck!!

GREAT Dealer and a pleasure to do business with

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 07-07-2015

Thanks Brad. ElEeg was also one of the first companies I contacted. They, along with everyone else, have no 10503807s in inventory. I can't decide if I should just bend over for Parliament and get the oem or give the other option of the D698 a shot and try it out. Someone has to go first.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
Old 07-07-2015

Also found this discussion. It mentions two other brands that he did not have good luck with so you may want to stay away from them.
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/in...?topic=28658.0
Old 07-07-2015

So are you considering this one?

http://store.alternatorparts.com/d69...regulator.aspx

You may be the ground breaker on this one.
Old 07-07-2015

We need a new regulator also. Can't find one, Smith Co, in Greeley, CO has sold their last one and can't get any new. FindParts, ElReg, etc, nobody has it.

A post on a Bus site referenced the D698, Smith said the Delco info references this as the model replaced by the 10503807.

I'm tired of running the gen while traveling and would like to fix this. Any ideas????
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168

Last edited by dog2travel; 07-07-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: wrong word