Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2019

Default Webasto DBW 2010 Installation in my 1987, PT 38’

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a nice clean Webasto DBW 2010. I have been looking for a while. I will more than likely get someone to install it for me as I will not have the time. I am thinking of installing it above the batteries on a swing out platform so I can get at the batteries. If that does not work out it will go in the compartment to the rear of the (curb side) BBQ compartment. I have read and re read all the threads here on WOG and they have some great insight.

Some of the things I need to sort out below:

1. Where to tie into the fuel system
2. Do I install a valve so the hydronic does not heat the engine all the time unless a valve is turned on
3. Do I need an expansion tank
4. Should I run a loop for the water tanks
5. Should I install a convector in the basement
6. I am thinking of only have one programmable thermostat
7. I want to keep the install simple

Any insight and recommendations, lessons learned from your installation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dale

Dale
British Columbia
1987 38' PT Wanderlodge 8V92

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 03-13-2019 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Changed title
Old 02-23-2019

Just a quick question concerning the install on top of the batteries. When charging the batts make hydrogen gas. I would be concerned about putting anything that has a flame in that compartment. Am I just being paranoid here ?
I have seen a battery in a car that exploded and it buckled the hood.
Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleR View Post
it will go in the compartment to the rear of the (curb side) BBQ compartment
Not sure I’d want the exhaust on the curb side - guess it depends on whether you think you’ll be sitting outside under the awning while it’s running. Extending the exhaust to exit another direction is possible but would add to installation complexity.
Old 02-24-2019

Exhaust is not a problem. Run it where ever you want. When we did my SP the exhaust ran to the rear below the rear bumper. Nothing a few feet of exhaust pipe wont fix.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-24-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleR View Post
Hello everyone,

I just picked up a nice clean Webasto DBW 2010. I have been looking for a while. I will more than likely get someone to install it for me as I will not have the time. I am thinking of installing it above the batteries on a swing out platform so I can get at the batteries. If that does not work out it will go in the compartment to the rear of the (curb side) BBQ compartment. I have read and re read all the threads here on WOG and they have some great insight.

Some of the things I need to sort out below:

1. Where to tie into the fuel system
2. Do I install a valve so the hydronic does not heat the engine all the time unless a valve is turned on
3. Do I need an expansion tank
4. Should I run a loop for the water tanks
5. Should I install a convector in the basement
6. I am thinking of only have one programmable thermostat
7. I want to keep the install simple

Any insight and recommendations, lessons learned from your installation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dale

1-at the racor filter
2-yes,no need to heat the engine when your feet is whats cold
3-i think so
4-no
5-no
6-one is easy
7-simple is good.

If you hire this done you will not be happy i bet.
the install is all in the details.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-24-2019

Can you guy's that have installed this in a mid 80s Bird post up some photos of were you located the Webasto please ?

Randy, If I get it done I will have all the detail's in order the way I want it to be installed. I will do ll the fab work etc.

Thanks for the input

Dale

Dale
British Columbia
Old 02-24-2019

I out the smaller webasto thermotop behind the rear bumper on the left side. My purpose was to heat the marine hot water tank. That was great. Did you see my thread? I tapped diesel in from a pipe plug in the fuel filter console.

I like your idea above the batteries. I think the flame is in the combustion chamber not external. Run the exhaust away from the batteries. You could make a remote inlet snorkel to make sure it doesn’t pick up hydrogen.

I’d hate to use up other valuable storage I guess. Especially when all the connections you want are in the engine bay. Using a check valve or two would ensure coolant flows in the right direction parallel to how the engine pushes coolant.

Jaguarsthatrun.com has some great machined aluminum tees and adapters for coolant plumbing.
Ex-PT36
Old 02-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
I out the smaller webasto thermotop behind the rear bumper on the left side. My purpose was to heat the marine hot water tank. That was great. Did you see my thread? I tapped diesel in from a pipe plug in the fuel filter console.

I like your idea above the batteries. I think the flame is in the combustion chamber not external. Run the exhaust away from the batteries. You could make a remote inlet snorkel to make sure it doesn’t pick up hydrogen.

I’d hate to use up other valuable storage I guess. Especially when all the connections you want are in the engine bay. Using a check valve or two would ensure coolant flows in the right direction parallel to how the engine pushes coolant.

Jaguarsthatrun.com has some great machined aluminum tees and adapters for coolant plumbing.
Hi Doug,

Yes I am subscribed to your thread and watch the progress. You sure tucked it out of the way nicely.

I live in Canada and need the 2010 as I use my coach in the winter months and lots in the fall hunting etc. I am not sure just yet if it will go above the batteries but I am going to try and see how it would work out. I am going to start mocking things up and go from there. I will try and keep things posted on here.

Thanks, Dale

Dale
British Columbia
Old 02-25-2019

Hi Dale,
Sounds like a plan...
I think you could build its own sheetmetal compartment to keep it isolated from the batteries, too.
I'd use dzus fittings from one of the race car supply houses were I do that. Maybe using 1/8" aluminum sheet cut on a table saw. Or scored via table saw and then bent.

As Randy said, use an expansion tank. nice OEM-grade ones available for late model VW on Amazon.

I had considered building a log manifold, for zones. Each with its own ball valve for tuning or shutting off a zone.
I remember seeing BadAndy bought high quality 12V coolant pump from a supercharger intercooler application. If you would add another pump, I'd track down his thread. I think it was very economical (low current draw), even PWM compatible.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd make one of the loops the engine pre-heat that you could shut off. Maybe bedroom, water heater, living and engine pre-heat as 4 zones. Or plumb them all in series but with ball valves to shut off a zone, but also a pair of Tees and an extra hose to bypass.

Cheers, Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 02-26-2019

I know your '87 is probably a little different than my '93,but I mounted my Espar (which looks alot like your Webasto) where the primus boilers used to be,next to racor......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2843.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	60397  

1993 40 WBSA
22 Grady White
2500 Chevy pu
Chevy Trailblazer
Jeep Wrangler