Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 03-05-2019

Default Generator woes!

Hi all, need advice again, with the generator.

It's the Kubota 15Kw. Originally, I had a slight fuel leak on the return line from the injector to the tank while at Q. I waited to get back to civilization to replace it, & on the advice from this forum replaced the supply line at the same time. Per instructions in the powertech book, after replacing the lines I bled the system by opening the purge valve & it said to hold the prime switch down for a minute. I did not see a prime switch, but Randy said the stop/preheat switch was the same.
It started on the second try. As I didn't need the genny at that time (I was on shore power), I shut it down. 2 days later, I tried to run it again. It ran for about 5 minutes, then died. I thought I might have gotten some crud in the lines & plugged up the filter, so today I changed it, now I can't get it to start at all. I tried engine start fluid, it sounded like it was trying to start for a few seconds. I could hear the fuel pump clicking for a few seconds after I tried starting it. I've tried starting it with the purge valve open a crack in case of an airlock, no joy. I thought I'd maybe got the supply & return lines swapped around, but in that case wouldn't the fuel pump continue to click as it tried to fill the filter back up? I have the lower (supply) line going to the upper fitting on the bulkhead, & the return line to the lower one, which I'm almost certain was the way they were before.
As I'm a complete novice regarding diesels, any advice much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	60546  
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 03-05-2019

Take both lines off. Hit the prime switch. The one fuel flows from is supply and the other is return. Reattach the lines in they're correct location. Now open the purge while hitting the prime switch. When you have no more air bubbles coming out close the valve. Now try starting.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-05-2019

Hold on. I don't know if the fuel lines are befor or after the pump.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-05-2019

Hold on. I don't know if the fuel lines are befor or after the pump.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-05-2019

Thanks, Rick.

As previously stated, I'm a complete novice here. Fuel flow is apparently input line ->pump-> filter->carburettor(?) then via a line with the purge valve on it to the injectors, then from the other end of the injectors to the return line.

Just so I'm sure, the "Prime" switch is the same as the "Stop/preheat" switch, right? (That's what Randy D said).
You said "when bubbles stop coming out, close the valve & try again" . Where should the bubbles be coming from?
Old 03-05-2019

The photo shows the filter at bottom, the fuel line going into the bottom of the carburettor, then another fuel line from there to the injectors, via a bleed valve. If I were to push the lever attached to the solenoid to the right, away from the "stop" position, would that activate the fuel pump? (the first time I tried to start it, the solenoid had activated so the lever was to the right, & I heard the fuel pump clicking for a few seconds). And where would I look for bubbles coming out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	60552  
Old 03-05-2019

Mike. I’m not an expert but I used to own one of these and I’m willing to try.

First of all —- Diesels don’t have carburetors. They have injectors that squirt high pressure fuel directly into the cylinders. That fuel travels a long route to get to the injectors and the entire route has to be free of air before the engine will operate correctly. You introduced a lot of air when replacing the hoses and filter.

So here’s what I remember. Fuel is routed to the Electric fuel pump mounted down low on base of tray. Then pushed up to the filter. There is a hex nut on top left of filter. That “should” be an air purge vent. From there, fuel goes up to the “Injector” pump where it is pressurized to high pressure and fed to the individual injectors at the proper time.

Just above and left of the yellow oil fill cap is a knob. I believe this is a small purge pump. Unscrew that and attempt to pump it in and out There should be some resistance. Or it might be a bleeder screw Try it and see how far out it screws. You should be able to tell what it is.

I would start the process by taking off the fuel filter and filling it with clean fuel or clean. ATF That should help you get it going long enough to help purge out some of the air.

I don’t know whether holding the switch down will activate the electric fuel pump. But it’s clicks when operating so that should be easy to determine. Or just run a 12volt jumper wire to it and run it while purging the air out of the filter via the bleed screw on the filter housing

I would be wary of holding that switch down for too long. It activates the glow plugs and they might possibly be damaged by overheating.

Hopefully I haven’t told you any bad information. And others can fill in the gaps if I’ve left anything out.

One other thing. Use Ether sparingly I prefer to not use it at all. It is very powerful and can crack a head if you spray too much in it.

Good luck getting it running.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 03-05-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: More information
Old 03-06-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Mike,
Max has covered most... Here is a page from a Kubota manual which is a lttle different than the you have but the principle is the same;

HTH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V1505-E3BG Kubota.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	60561  

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 03-06-2019

Thanks, Max & Larry, I'll try again tomorrow, using this information. I'm still unclear about the "prime". The book talks about a prime switch, which my motor doesn't have (that I can see). Randy says the stop/preheat switch is the prime, but you say it shouldn't be held in too long. The book says hold it down for at least a minute. My last 'bird, a PT-40, had a separate prime switch. I'll try all your suggestions tomorrow & report back...once I find out what the problem is, it'll maybe help someone else down the road.
Old 03-06-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Mike,
Randy is correct, that the prime is the run/stop toggle, hold it down and you can hear the pump run... Also as Max said, take the filter off and fill with ATF (Automatic transmission fluid)... Whenever you change fuel filters, always fill with ATF or diesel, I like ATF, as it has some cleaning affect to the injectors...
HTH

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"

Last edited by sailor7cs; 03-06-2019 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added info