Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-19-2019

True story: Most professional mechanics are mediocre. This applies to cars, CNC machines, buses and so on. They will always look for an excuse before diving into something they don't know so that when it doesn't work right or they just start throwing parts at it because they don't know how to troubleshoot they don't feel bad about it.

If you find a 'Bird you really like I wouldn't avoid it because of the engine.
Old 04-19-2019

For 2-stroke DD engines and parts these guys have a huge inventory. I have bought Series 60 parts from them also, but 2-strokes are there core business.

https://www.powerlinecomponents.com/

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 04-19-2019

Additional resources:

https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/de...2-series-parts

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel...ne-turbo2.html

https://www.rpmdiesel.com/

http://www.surplusman.com/Search.php

And many others
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 04-19-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
True story: Most professional mechanics are mediocre. This applies to cars, CNC machines, buses and so on. They will always look for an excuse before diving into something they don't know so that when it doesn't work right or they just start throwing parts at it because they don't know how to troubleshoot they don't feel bad about it.

If you find a 'Bird you really like I wouldn't avoid it because of the engine.

Very true.
My helper for many years would laugh when he spotted the "ASE" with all the merit badges on a "techs" uniform.
He said the ASE meant "Ask Somebody Else"

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-19-2019

True story, I have an 8V in my bus, and broke down in Montana. Was towed to a shop, 24 bays, two shifts of "techs".
I could not get above 12-1300RPM. They had two 8V "experts". They probed and prodded. Checked the readings on the computer, and scratched their heads. Nothing, nada, couldn't figure it out. Another tech walking by asked if they checked the fuel pressure. Duh! These engines have a mechanical pump. Turns out the part to turn the pump was rounded off. An $8.00 part! I was there 3 days while they did this.
I now have over 250K on this engine and have not had a single problem, other than that, and originally that was a recall item by Detroit. Now, 20 years later, it doesn't count.
Moral of the story is don't be afraid of the two stroke.
Old 04-19-2019

Default Love 2 strokes....

2 stroke detroits are really reliable if they have been maintained. I think you need to be proactive with these engines and know a little more about them so that you know what needs to happen when you go in to get serviced.
Take a look at this traveling 2 stroke mechanic that is working on a bluebird:
https://youtu.be/UvRLPFYY2sM

I like the mechanical 2 strokes, no computer stuff to have to worry about, but thats me. Some guys like the ones with computers, because they can hook up to them and help diagnose.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 04-19-2019

After looking and digging I wanted (and found) a mechanical Detroit Wanderlodge. To me the simpler the better!

I've had to ask around a bit but I have found shops that service them around Atlanta. I spent some time asking more questions than "do you service 2 stroke Detroits?" Everyone I asked said yes. I then asked "when do you recommended setting the rack?" and many didn't have an answer. Everyone that I've spoken to that I think is familiar with the older Detroits has some kind of opinion.

I have not used them yet, but there is a shop in Fayettville that I will probably have service my bird. He says they'll do everything but the fuel system and for that he has a guy that comes out once a week or as needed to do it for him. He had enough answers to make me feel comfortable. Guess I'll find out!
Old 08-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
After looking and digging I wanted (and found) a mechanical Detroit Wanderlodge. To me the simpler the better!

I've had to ask around a bit but I have found shops that service them around Atlanta. I spent some time asking more questions than "do you service 2 stroke Detroits?" Everyone I asked said yes. I then asked "when do you recommended setting the rack?" and many didn't have an answer. Everyone that I've spoken to that I think is familiar with the older Detroits has some kind of opinion.

I have not used them yet, but there is a shop in Fayettville that I will probably have service my bird. He says they'll do everything but the fuel system and for that he has a guy that comes out once a week or as needed to do it for him. He had enough answers to make me feel comfortable. Guess I'll find out!
Johnson Diesel? My father has used them for his s60. He's been happy with their work. Supposedly they'll work on my 3208, but I've yet to use them.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 08-07-2019

You set the rack when you have the exhaust valve clearances adjusted and the injectors timing set back to specs.
If the coach had 150,000 or more I would have this checked.

Just my opinion.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 08-07-2019

That traveling 2 stroke bus mechanic has tons of videos on YT. He has has a web site that I can’t recall it’s URL this second. He offers help from afar on it from time to time. He also has a patrion site. He will face time with you or any mechanic to get them straight. He just upgraded his bus from a two valve head to a four valve head. He can be hired for rebuilds and heavy repairs on his time schedule and he is a bit pricy but he is top notch. Guy had a sliding scale. The greasier you get, the less he charges. I got to meet him. Shook his very greasy hand too.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835