Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-17-2019

G is generator input
S is shore power input
O is output
Test ,,,with shore power disconnected, run generator and check for voltage at G . Voltage at G should pull G switch in and send G voltage to O. IF voltage at G but no voltage at O,, THEN with a insulated screw driver push G switch in and see if it holds. (BUT replace transfer anyway, 150 bucks at camping world). IF gen running and no voltage at G THEN issue is up closer to genset.

1 test red to white and look for 120v .then 2 black to white look for 120v then red to black look for 240 v. Three tests will prove the white. Realize you can have voltage in red or black and not see it because the white is muffed. One other test is red to ground black to ground pull the ground at the frame of the genset

Note that transfer box is upside down.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150413_193828.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	61989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_073013.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	61992  

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 05-17-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Imbeded picture was too big
Old 05-17-2019

Here is the labeled transfer switch.

Box to the right is hardly necessary unless you plan to hook up to a 30 amp and 20 amp shore connection with two cords. That to the right box wont be an issue with genset running
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_073013.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	61990  
Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
In your 1st post:
"Now that the generator cooling fan is running"
What and how was it repaired?

Have you/can you verify the AC output of the generator using a voltmeter?
The breaker/switch mounted on the generator was replaced.

I have not verified output with a multimeter as yet. As someone mentioned in a previous post since the fan is working, it is getting power from the generator.
VerleyBird
Old 05-17-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
The breaker/switch mounted on the generator was replaced.

I have not verified output with a multimeter as yet. As someone mentioned in a previous post since the fan is working, it is getting power from the generator.

The fact that the fan is running may not necessarily prove that the main generator circuit breaker is working. On at least some Powertechs, the power for the fan switch/circuit breaker comes from the “input” terminals of the Main circuit breaker. When wired like that, the fan can run even if the main breaker is off, tripped or defective.

Did you forcefully switch the main breaker on the generator off and back on? Sometimes you really have to snap them off and on in order for them to close properly.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-17-2019

Your comment " "the breaker/switch mounted on the generator was replaced." Is that a clue to prior and maybe ongoing issue.? Why was it replaced? Did it fail for age or tripped toomany times? Was the damaged switch 'the problem' or just 'the result of some other parts problem'. I would learn what gentec found causes these switches to fail.

It takes a good tec 2 min to replace a burnt bulb and 2 hours to replace a burnt fuse.
Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Your comment " "the breaker/switch mounted on the generator was replaced." Is that a clue to prior and maybe ongoing issue.? Why was it replaced? Did it fail for age or tripped toomany times? Was the damaged switch 'the problem' or just 'the result of some other parts problem'. I would learn what gentec found causes these switches to fail.

It takes a good tec 2 min to replace a burnt bulb and 2 hours to replace a burnt fuse.
The breaker was broken by a careless tech while checking why the fan would not work. It was ultimately determined to be a capacitor problem. They replaced the capacitor, and pieced the breaker back together. Unfortunately they were not honest about what they did, and I discovered it the hard way when it literally fell apart. It wasn’t a “failure” of the part, rather the communication skills of the tech.
VerleyBird
Old 05-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Did you forcefully switch the main breaker on the generator off and back on? Sometimes you really have to snap them off and on in order for them to close properly.
I heard it click off and again when I switched it on. Is that what you mean by forcefully?
VerleyBird
Old 05-18-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
I heard it click off and again when I switched it on. Is that what you mean by forcefully?
I’ve seen a few circuit breakers that you really had to shove down fast and forcefully and back up the same way in order for them to reset. A quick check of the voltage on the output terminals of the circuit breaker with a voltmeter would verify whether it’s conducting or not.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
I’ve seen a few circuit breakers that you really had to shove down fast and forcefully and back up the same way in order for them to reset. A quick check of the voltage on the output terminals of the circuit breaker with a voltmeter would verify whether it’s conducting or not.
Thanks John,

I believe I did do it pretty forcefully, but I’ll try it again. I’ll have to wait to test the voltage until I get back home. Getting to it is not so quick, nor easy, and I’m on the road. Seems like they really missed the boat on locating the breakers and reset switch. When the generator is all the way out it is still a difficult reach.
VerleyBird
Old 05-18-2019
Black Sheep Division

Arlin, having had a failure of that breaker in the generator compartment, I know what a pain testing it can be.

You need a quality pair of test leads equipped with alligator clips. Run the genny out. Remove the cover from the breaker box and SECURELY attach the test leads to the input side of the breaker with the meter outside of the generator area. My leads are long enough to lay the meter on the ground in front of the tire. Start the genny and read the voltage. Shutdown genny, move leads to output side of breaker and repeat test. If you have 240V +/- on the INPUT side of the breaker but not on the OUTPUT side of the breaker, the breaker is the problem.

TOM