Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-26-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default New style CAT 3208 Idler Pulley Belt Tightener

I have updated the file below with a photo description of the NEW STYLE Idler Pulley Belt Tightener found on most CAT 3208's. This new style has a distinct advantage over the old style when it comes to adjusting the tension on the drive belts that it is used for, it is my understanding that the part number is the same as the old part number.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Caterpillar 3208 Related Files > NEW STYLE CAT 3208 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER

It can also be viewed on my web site at http://www.pbase.com/image/114306220
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT 3209 NEW STYLE IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER SM.jpg
Views:	12202
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	2241  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-29-2009

John, do you know the part number and how much a new one runs?
Old 06-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodgerhead View Post
John, do you know the part number and how much a new one runs?

Dave,

To be exact I would have to go back through my old receipts from a couple of years ago, when I purchased the new style on a trip through Minot, ND. I believe that it was in the area of $200.00.

If you go to your Caterpillar dealer with your engines Serial and Arrangement numbers SERIAL AND ARRANGEMENT NUMBER ON A 3208NA.jpg along with either this drawing below, or the part numbers for #4 and #5 on the drawing, their parts book will give them any newer numbers and/or the complete assembly number.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Caterpillar 3208 Related Files > CAT 3209 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SERIAL AND ARRANGEMENT NUMBER ON A 3208NA.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	2272   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT SERIAL AND ARRANGEMENT NUMBERS CLOSEUP.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	2273  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-30-2009

Once I found out the recommended V-Belt tension, I got busy adjusting them, but there were two in particular that due to my lack of upper body strength from long term transplant medication, I just couldn't put enough leverage to get the correct setting, so I thought back and remembered, I believe it was Tom Warner that had come up with a V-Belt adjusting tool, I couldn't find the pictures of it, as I believe that it was on one of the old forums, but although his was a lot nicer than this one, the principle of the ideas are the same.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Caterpillar 3208 Related Files > V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOL

I GOT THIS IDEA FROM TOM WARNER AND THIS TOOL IS EASY TO MAKE IT CONSISTS OF A 5-1/2 INCH AND A 4 INCH LENGTHS OF THREADED ROD WITH 2 WASHERS AND 2 NUTS PER ROD ARE INSERTED INTO 1/2 INCH HOLES DRILLED IN EACH 2” X 2” X 4” BLOCK OF WOOD, ADJUSTER IS SET BETWEEN THE PULLEYS AND NUTS ARE ADJUSTED OUTWARD UNTIL THE DESIRED POUNDS OF TENSION FOR THE V-BELT ARE MET. The adjuster when in use should be centered more than is shown in the picture, as it was just set in there for display purposes.The holes are offset so the block of wood can be turned to align with the pulley that are being adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
But I would NEVER use a tire iron to adjust the V belts on my coach. I use a simple tool that I made out of some oak and a threaded rod to adjust the alternator V belts etc and a $10 tool ( Oh my goodness did I break the $40 rule for buying a tool?) to read the correct tension on the V belt that I bought from NAPA. Its called a Krikit. Why do I buy more tools to adjust the simple V belt? Because it stops me from over tightening the belt and ruining the alternator bearings or not tightening them enough and either throwing a V belt of hearing them squeal. Yes I have learned from a lot of years of playing with tools its easier to buy the right tool the first time.
Tom Warner
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOLsm.jpg
Views:	9048
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	4803  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-30-2009
Forum owner

speaking of Tom,wheres the report on his rally?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-30-2009
Administrator

Thanks for the tip on the adjuster, I need to make a set of blocks.
Old 07-01-2009

Thanks John,
I think I will remove mine and slap it on the Bridgeport and make the cavity myself. I have continuous problems with my power steering belt slipping when it is cold, so I will use your block and screw setup for that one.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Dave
Old 04-27-2010
Administrator

Default Pulley Bearing Replacement

I need to replace the bearing on the main tension pulley.
Ordered the bearing , shaft, dust cap cover and a retaining ring, from Caterpillar.

The retaining ring is a tension ring spring, like an overlapping snap ring or cir clip.
In pressing out the bearing, does the end cap / dust cover need to be dug out first??
Which side of the bearing is this spring/snap ring clip???
Seems like the spring should be removed, before pressing or breaking something.
Old 04-27-2010

You need to buy the new assembly, it's worth the dinero considering the implications of a failure, repair the original part and keep it for back up. The idler is the number one part to go up yer back side on the road. There's a reason 'thrifty Finn' popped for a new one. A word on belt tension, got the OTC tension gage that is a pricey toy and a couple of them 'cricket' deals. The OTC results in noticably tighter adjustment, I tend to buy into that as is a precsion instrument like a torque wrench, complete with compliance certificate. I never set a belt that tight before buying the gage for fear of losing bearings, but in the case of our bird's precision is every thing. In reviewing the reasons for my fan belts losing adjustment, I replaced the bolts with 1/4" longer, 1.5" grade 8s and leaned on them to make sure they are tight this time, chose to use a little silver anti-sieze. New Gates greenies on the pulleys. Hope I don't have to swing that f#@%r until after Rats.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-27-2010

I need some guidance with 3208 belts. When tightening up new belts is the tension measuring tool critical to have? I was going to use NAPA belts. Do these hold their tension as well as other brands or should I over tension them a little to make up for them loosing up after the break in period?

The belts are all different in length. I looked at the data base under 3208 belts, I was not able to find specs on what belt gets what tension? I am sure it is there but can not find it.