Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-23-2009
Timberlake Products Group

Default Slip ring replacement...

Good article on replacing the slip ring on a Kohler 12.5 KW.

http://www.ryanwright.com/wanderlodge/sliprings/

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 06-19-2010
OLDFISHHOOK@YAHOO>COM

Default 12.5 K kohler slip ring repair

I used these instructions and replaced mine one day, not a fun job by yourself but saved me $$$
Old 06-19-2010

Thanks to Ryans informative write up I was able to do it myself also. Took most of the day and got dirty, but generator is still going strong.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 08-04-2010

Just got the generator up and running using Ryan's article and Tom's advice. Slip rings looked about like the ones in Ryan's writeup with only the inside ring being worn. There was nothing left of the inside brush but the outside brush looked as good as the new ones. Took me 2 days, but I took the hottest part of the day off. Probably about 10 hours of work but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slip Rings.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	6099  
"The Aviary"
Old 08-04-2010

Thats exactly how mine looked. I wonder why so many of us are having a problem like this?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 08-04-2010

I can't think of anything that would cause this other than a manufacturing defect. The new slip rings were made of a completely different material. The old ones were inbedded in epoxy and the new ones are set in some kind of hard fiber material.
"The Aviary"
Old 08-08-2010
Senior

Just a comment. Tom Sorrentino did his slip ring job at the rally here in Vernon june 2008 laying on his stomach in the grass. He only had one problem at the end like Ryan did. The generator housing had dropped down when he removed the 4 long housing bolts. I checked on him once in a while and did not realize that he had this problem at the end. Went into the shop and got my 10 ton porta power with the wedge attachment. If you dont have a porta power I would advise you to have a friend with a table saw cut a coupld of wedges out of a hardwood to put under the generator houseing BEFORE you remove the 4 long bolts and then it will not fall down out of alignment. Tom slipped the porta power wedge under the housing, gave it a couple of pumps and everything lined up perfectly and he put the bolts back in.

One other comment that I forgot to tell tom when he did his. When you desolder the wires from the slip rings. I would advise you to buy a small roll of copper braid used to suck solder off connections like that so you can remove the wires very easily and also have clean connections when you are done. I have a big roll of it and use it when playing with old radios and radio control air planes when I need to remove wires. These guys have proved that if you are willing to spend the time you can save some serious money repairing your own coach.
6V92
Old 08-08-2010

I must have been very lucky. I was expecting the generator to drop as Ryan warned, but it didn't move and the end plate went back on easily. The new slip rings went on tighter than I expected and I worried that they were being destroyed by the socket as I drove them on. However they looked just fine afterwords. Yes, A solder sucker would have been helpful. Drove for 4 hours today using the generator to run 2 air conditioners and it worked great.
"The Aviary"
Old 08-18-2010

I was about to throw out the old slip rings today when I decided to try and figure out what caused the unusual wear. I rolled them back and forth on a sheet of glass and discovered that the two rings aren't perfectly aligned. The inside one is slightly off center towards the worn side. The jig they were using back in the '80s must have been off. The new ones were mounted in a different material so maybe they used a better setup. The old rings lasted 23 years but only 1090 hours. How many hours did you other guys have when you replaced your slip rings on the Yanmar/Kohler?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slip Rings.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	6235  
"The Aviary"
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvahall View Post
I was about to throw out the old slip rings today when I decided to try and figure out what caused the unusual wear. I rolled them back and forth on a sheet of glass and discovered that the two rings aren't perfectly aligned. The inside one is slightly off center towards the worn side. The jig they were using back in the '80s must have been off. The new ones were mounted in a different material so maybe they used a better setup. The old rings lasted 23 years but only 1090 hours. How many hours did you other guys have when you replaced your slip rings on the Yanmar/Kohler?
Hi John,

Do not know the life span of a slip ring, But this is a great repair, that saved a bunch of $$$, Good to see you returned safely home, with no repair issues.