Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-02-2009

Default Girard Awning - problem retracting

Periotically when retracting the Girard awning it stops; it will go out fine, but upon retracting it will move a short distance and then stop not necessarity in the same spot. The way I have dealt with this problem was to have the remote control in one hand and my other hand gently applying pressure on the front edge of the awning gently pushing it in and it retracts just fine. I assumed the awning arms were binding and probably needed lube. However, my mechanic called Girard and they told him they are aware of the problem and it has to do with the ACL Box - unfortunately he never asked what ACL stood for and I have a call into them to find out. What they told him was the problem is that the ACL box senses if there are too many amps and if so shuts off the motor. They told him they thought the ACL box was a good idea but found out later it was not and they stopped wiring the awnings that way. They told him to disconnect the ACL box and make some other adjustments however they said they believe the ACL box is located behind the TV which means several hours of $100/hour mechanics (pardon me, technician) time. If I do not take care of this problem I just have to remember not to leave the awning out when I am away from the Coach because it may or may not automatically retract in a wind. So my question to the group is: does anyone know where the ACL box is located - Girard was only guessing when they said behind the TV?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 12-02-2009

Dennis, I've got the same problem and was also told the current limiter was the problem. Download the manual from the Girard website. It shows there are two enclosures, one contains the power supply & controls. The other the current limiter circuit. Both are attached to the ceiling behind the TV monitor in our M380's.

Pulling out the monitor doesn't take very long or much effort but it does take two people! Snap off the trim panel below the TV, disconnect the wiring noting where it is connected, remove the two small locking fasteners from the TV retainer brackets, pull the lower portion of the retainer brackets down (about 3/4") to unlock the TV mounting posts from the brackets, us all four hands to grasp the TV on both sides at top and bottom edges and pull evenly outward until the mounting posts clear holes in retainer bracket.

I was told to jump across the CL to verify it was the problem. It was not. At that point I decided to reverse the wiring in the power supply control circuit box to see if was a motor problem. It was not. I put everything back to the original confirguration and magically everything worked including the excess wind speed auto retract function. However, the retract function stopped working after a couple of short trips for football games. It started retracting again during the last trip. I believe the root cause of the problem is a loose connection somewhere in the power supply control circuit box.

I haven't taken the time to pull the monitor to recheck the connections. It could be a component on the circuit board which will be more difficult, not to mention expensive, to fix. I plan to relocate these two enclosures from their current location into the more accessible area behind the voltmeter/ampmeter panel above the entry door.

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2009

Dennis,

Yep, awning controller is definitely behind Plasma TV. TV can be removed by one person, have done it several times but is easier if you have help. Then there is a cover you have to remove then you will see awning controller. There is a white control box and motor leads come out of it and go through what is called a "Current Limiting Device" which is another little white box. Turn the potentiometer in the CLD counterclockwise to allow the motor to not shut off as easily.

To remove TV:
1. Remove cover under the TV by just pulling it straight down.
2. Detache all cables from the TV.
3. Unscrew and remove the 2 lock nuts on the 2 holding clamps.
NOW BE CAREFUL TO HOLD THE TV WITH ONE HAND OR IT MIGHT FALL OUT!
4. Pull the 2 holding clamps straight down and the TV is free to come out.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 12-03-2009

Thanks Dan and Cindy and Lloyd. If I understand Dan and Cindy's post they have not corrected the problem; Lloyd did you correct yours? If I undertand my mechanic's message correctly Girard told him to by pass the ACL e.g. disconnect it. Lloyd is that what you did?

Dennis
Old 12-03-2009

Dennis,

I just adjusted my current pot till mine would go in without stopping and has worked fine since. I wonder if you have a bind somewhere? Only other thing I can think of is there are limit switches inside the motor that can be adjusted. They tell the awning motor when to stop going out and coming in. Maybe if the "IN" limit switch was bouncing or going bad it would think the awning was in all the way and stop motor. I now how to adjust those switches but now how to get to them to replace it.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 12-03-2009

Thanks Lloyd. My awning sure does act like it is a bind elsewise why would it work fine with a little pressure against the face and of course it does work by it self most of the time. My guess is the switches are availabe from Girrard here in Southern California. Excuse my ignorance, but when you say you adjusted your current "pot", what is a "pot?"

Dennis
Old 12-17-2009

I am going to post a reply to my own thread since it might help someone. I have not fixed the awning problem yet. It goes out okay, but as written in this thread it stops short of retracting. I found however, that if I use the mechanical crank and give it a few turns I can then retract the awning the rest of the way electrically. This makes me think that it might not be the ACL but is binding mechanically somewhere, but I do not know.

Dennis
Old 12-17-2009

Dennis,

Your last post says the awning stops short of retracting all the way. How much short? A few inches? Does it stop in the same place each time?
lloyd.chaffin@att.net
Old 12-17-2009

Hi Lloyd,

It doesn't stop in the same place each time. It seems more to stop after a few inches (only on retractions - no problem on extension). If I extend the awning half way and try to retract it, it will stop after a few inches. If I extend it all the way it will stop after a few inches on the retraction. Sometimes it will retract all the way when I put a little pressure against the face of the awning like I was pushing it closed.
Old 12-17-2009

Sure sounds like you need to try and adjust the over current potentiometer. behind the TV.
lloyd.chaffin@att.net