Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-08-2018

Default Water pressure mystery

Was hooked up at the NC State Fairgrounds for the last two days. Thought that the new Shurflo hose fitting on the side of the coach had an internal regulator. Happened to go into the water heater compartment the morning after I had hooked up and found the pressure gauge therein (by the water pump) reading over 100#. Yikes. Turned off the water and went to Camping World a few miles away for an inline regulator. Fitted the new regulator to the hose, hooked back up, supposed to have been ~50-55 but gauge read in the 40s. Good enough. This morning, checked in there again and gauge was over 80#. Could the new Camco regulator have been compromised by the ridiculous pressure of the NC State Fair? Bizarre. At least I know the plumbing in the coach is good!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 12-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Was hooked up at the NC State Fairgrounds for the last two days. Thought that the new Shurflo hose fitting on the side of the coach had an internal regulator. Happened to go into the water heater compartment the morning after I had hooked up and found the pressure gauge therein (by the water pump) reading over 100#. Yikes. Turned off the water and went to Camping World a few miles away for an inline regulator. Fitted the new regulator to the hose, hooked back up, supposed to have been ~50-55 but gauge read in the 40s. Good enough. This morning, checked in there again and gauge was over 80#. Could the new Camco regulator have been compromised by the ridiculous pressure of the NC State Fair? Bizarre. At least I know the plumbing in the coach is good!
Chip,

Is the new regulator the adjustable type with gauge, or fixed? If adjustable, it may require setting/adjusting initially. If fixed, the rating is a nominal number. They can be all over the map. The adjustable are good to 125psi incoming. The fixed inline that look like a brass nipple are not a true regulator. They are a flow restrictor. Restricting flow does reduce pressure, and they are designed for 40-45 psi out, but as I said they reduce flow.

I’m not a big fan of the Camco units. They are basically pot metal, and have a history of leaking over time, or cracking. They’re ok in a pinch, but I would suggest getting a quality regulator such as Watts 263A or similar. They aren’t cheap, but last.

How do you know the gauge is accurate? If it is original, it may need to be replaced.
VerleyBird
Old 12-09-2018

Fill the tank. Use the tank. I would seldom use any shore hook up for anything other than to fill. Too many ways for things to go wrong and then you have a coach full of water.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-09-2018

Run mine the same way. keep every thing in house.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.