Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Ernie Ekberg's Remodeling and Repair

Site Search:

Old 10-30-2011

Default looking for some tips on installing hardwood

Hello all just picked out some hardwood to put in the coach and have been told several differant ideas for installing it. Just looking for more input, I think that we are leaning toward the click in place flooring but I have been told many differant measurements for the gap around the floor for it to "float" properly. I have been told anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch do to the fact of the heat and cold it will see in our climate here in South Dakota. also any recomondations on what way in better to run the boards (front to back, or side to side)Any and all help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-30-2011
WanderBee

3/4" is way too much if you ask me. 1/4" should be fine - especially for any kind of engineered flooring.

I'd put the flooring down running front to back. Long narrow rooms don't look right with the flooring running short side to short side (at least in my opinion). I'm personally not a fan of the click to lock stuff. But, others do like it and use it.

Ernie Ekberg is the resident flooring expert. He'll have the best advice.
Marietta, GA
Old 10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper View Post
... also any recomondations on what way in better to run the boards (front to back, or side to side)Any and all help would be great. Thanks
Personal choice. Many do the long runs, aka the "bowling alley" look. Some like it, some don't. Another option is to "mix it up". At least do a few sideways, then go back to long runs again. Or maybe a small section angled, which will use more material.
VB 1570
Old 10-31-2011

I had a discussion with my client about all this expansion contraction business. Over a large room with many square feet, the material may expand or contract. Since the largest width in a coach is 8 feet, I believe expansion or contraction would not be an issue. If you like the feel and sound of a solid floor- glue it. If you like the sound of a hollow floor- float it. I'm from the old school- I like it installed permanently
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-01-2011

Default hardwood floor

thanks guys, I agree with all of your input. I did not think that the 3/4 inch gap made much sense either. I also like the fact of swithing up the direction. Thanks all!!!