Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-03-2011

Default Left valve cover leaking

When I first bought my bird last September I had the valve lash adjusted.... Since then my left valve cover has leaked oil, about a quart every 500 miles.....I ordered new gaskets took extreme care in removing,cleaning and replacing the left valve cover gasket with new black rubber gasket from caterpillar....a real difficult place to reach......it's still leaking....I am wondering if the valve cover could be warped or if the oil recovering unit is causing the leak........I sure would appreciate any suggestions, the oil leak really makes a mess, and I know it's the left valve cover after many weeks of trying to stop it.....
Old 03-04-2011

Are you sure it is engine oil? Could it be a combo of leaking diesel and and oil? The oil recovery can could be leaking. Who did the valve adjustment?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 03-04-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Miller View Post
When I first bought my bird last September I had the valve lash adjusted.... Since then my left valve cover has leaked oil, about a quart every 500 miles.....I ordered new gaskets took extreme care in removing,cleaning and replacing the left valve cover gasket with new black rubber gasket from caterpillar....a real difficult place to reach......it's still leaking....I am wondering if the valve cover could be warped or if the oil recovering unit is causing the leak........I sure would appreciate any suggestions, the oil leak really makes a mess, and I know it's the left valve cover after many weeks of trying to stop it.....
Left side looking in the doghouse, often the power steering reservoir hoses leak.
This may be adding to your leaks.
Old 03-04-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Miller View Post
Leaking oil will make an ugly mess under the coach rather quickly. All of the cloth wrapped wiring and such will get saturated and then pick up road dirt which makes working on the unit rather nasty. They should be rubber valve cover gaskets which might just need the surfaces cleaned and re-seated?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 03-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2011

THanks for the replies, I am sure it's the left valve cover........I am thinking the diaphragm in the PVC is clogged and pushing oil out the valve cover gasket, anyone had this happen....
Old 03-05-2011

It hasn't happened to me but the manual talks about rebuilding them, so....
Cape Cod,ma
Old 03-05-2011

Yeah, I read that too, I have been traveling in the bus for about a week, when I get back to Dallas, I will order the replacement diaphragm and give it a try.....can't imagine what else would make a new gasket leak....twice, takes some real patience to get the lower bolts off and on on the valve cover.
Old 03-05-2011

yep my old 3208 na leaked at the pvc there is a drain hole on the botom of the end cap is were mine was leaking I think it was about 15.00 bucks for the parts to rebuild at cat.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 03-06-2011

Gene,

Is yours a turbo 3208?
Old 03-06-2011

No that was not it was a 3209 NA I changed it out with a 3208 t and it has the same breather
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.