Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
what about water damage from the fire department?

Firemen are great at their jobs,but when they go to a fire they are not concerned about water damage,or anything other than putting the fire out!
Like Bulls in a china shop
Old 05-14-2012

Randy,

The M380 with a new engine - was that due to head failure not taken care of in time - or another type failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
The M380 is a great coach,i have seen them sell from $110K to $130K in recent months.
I have one for sale with a new engine and always garaged for $125k.
Buy one you can use today,not a fixer upper that may be ready next spring!
Old 05-14-2012
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Randy,

The M380 with a new engine - was that due to head failure not taken care of in time - or another type failure?
Blew a head gasket,cracked the block.Cummins would not pay,cost the owner $24,000 for a new engine.
OUCH!!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-14-2012

So that looks like five or six isl 400's with blown head gaskets just in our forum. Has anyone heard of this with other manufactured coaches using the isl 400 or is this just a BB thing? and how could that be if it is? Cummins must know something more about what's going on. Did they change the head gasket or do we need to re-torque at some interval or just get out your checkbook every 70-90k miles?
Old 05-14-2012

Someday in the future (2-7 years from now) I'll likely buy a M380 (or a LX40). The first thing I will do on a M380 is have the head gasket changed if it had not already been done.

I "think" this is a one time change of head gasket and inspection of the head surface. Likely the head gasket problem has been solved by Cummins, but they don't want to eat the cost of a recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverg View Post
So that looks like five or six isl 400's with blown head gaskets just in our forum. Has anyone heard of this with other manufactured coaches using the isl 400 or is this just a BB thing? and how could that be if it is? Cummins must know something more about what's going on. Did they change the head gasket or do we need to re-torque at some interval or just get out your checkbook every 70-90k miles?
Old 05-14-2012

The ISL Engine is a popular choice for motorhomes and fire apparatus as well as other applications. I did a google search and found a few threads on blown head gaskets but not enough to throw out a reg flag. Later ISL Engines had a recall for bad connecting rods but that was a later engine than what was used in the M380's.

I'm going to have my head gasket changed just for good measure as my coach has just turned over 60K mile mark...not exited about doing it but worth the investment to me...
Old 05-14-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
I'm going to have my head gasket changed just for good measure as my coach has just turned over 60K mile mark...not exited about doing it but worth the investment to me...
Robert,

Do you know if the M380 has an engine access hatch in the bedroom? If so, exactly where is it located? That would make it much easier to change the head gaskett. Any idea of the cost?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 05-14-2012

Haven't looked into it yet Chuck.
Old 05-15-2012

Chuck, When I had my head gasket repaired the mechanic commented on how much room (relatively I suppose, he showed me a Holiday Rambler across the shop that I couldn't even see the engine) was above the engine to work. I do not know of a panel from above ?. Pretty sure there is not one. Cost to do mine 2 years ago was $1800.00. A relative deal today I would think.
Old 05-15-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverg View Post
Chuck, When I had my head gasket repaired the mechanic commented on how much room (relatively I suppose, he showed me a Holiday Rambler across the shop that I couldn't even see the engine) was above the engine to work. I do not know of a panel from above ?. Pretty sure there is not one. Cost to do mine 2 years ago was $1800.00. A relative deal today I would think.
$1800 was a deal, Garry, labor is the big cost,

Now a Cummins Service Center quotes 20hrs labor @$130/hr plus parts.

I agree that there is ample room to remove the head in the engine compartment. Much easier to work on than the DDS60 in my previous LXi.
If you look at the ceiling in the engine compartment, it appears there is a hatch, albiet not very large (rectangler), located below the step up to the rear closet in the bedroom.

Chuck