Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-28-2014

I have 150k on my 380. Did the head gasket #6 @ 60k. Good so far. Did the fuel pump last August (complete $5100.00). Just did the fuel pump head(accumulator) yesterday morn Rocky Mountain Cummins. Ahh the good life!
Old 05-28-2014

Update #2

Just returned from the shop. Discussed the engine with shop technicians.

Tech who removed the head said the bolts seemed very loose. This from a guy who pulls those bolts every few days.

The failure was over about 30 degrees of the cylinder circumference. It wasn't a narrow channeled blowout. May have been leaking for a while and was not detectable until it got bad enough to hear. No oil in the coolant or coolant in the crankcase.
04 M380
Old 05-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Reed told me the block was different,and they had to machine the engine mounts to make it fit. Just what all that means,i have no idea. But,i bet the new engines serial number can be checked by Cummins to see which engine it is.
Looking at the receipt for the engine change two years ago, it appears Cummins DID NOT install a new engine but instead completely rebuilt the PO's ruined engine using a slew of NEW parts including: Lube pump, oil cooler, various soft plugs, nuts and bolts, a new short block, head, cam, idler, flywheel, gaskets, belts, pulleys and tons of other stuff. The total for that work was over $23K, that since it was TWO months out-of-warranty the PO paid out-of-pocket. That was roughly 20K miles ago. Why Cummins went this route instead of dropping a completely new engine in, I do not know but suspect it was money since they dropped the egg in the owners lap?

I do know that the entire coach including the motor performed flawlessly yesterday during our first long day of travel from Salt Lake to Las Vegas. The PO said this motor has allot more power than the original and I believe it. Found use of engine brake to be unnecessary even going down the long grade south of Cedar City. So am inclined to follow Jim's advice about its use when possible. The coach not only looks new but it drives like it too! Here's the first picture of it under new ownership, stopped in a parking lot south of Provo for a 5-Guys burger:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	29162  

Last edited by NoGas; 05-30-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2014
Geek

AFAIK, a new short block is a new engine - short block vs long block just means they used a lot of his old external parts, even if they didn't use all of them.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-03-2014

Got the coach back yesterday. $7500 to replace the head and head gasket. Seems to start better, no noticeable difference in power.

The tech said again that the head bolts were too loose when he removed the head. Cummins included the loose bolt comment on the service order. They think the first gasket replacement was probably done by an apprentice and never checked.

Ran the coach about 300 miles today. No major issues, but the A/C compressor clutch does not work now. This after giving the shop an extra day to double check everything.

So, loose head bolts on the first gasket repair, a failed and leaking fuel pump replacement on the second repair, and no A/C on the third. Cummins has a perfect record: Zero for three!
04 M380
Old 06-04-2014

Hi Chuck,
My 2004 M380 engine/head blew at 93,477 miles in October of 2012. The previous owner replaced it with a new (not rebuilt) engine that was covered by cummins. He purchased the 5yr, 200,000 mile extended warranty for around $2050. The engine, all in, was around $25,000. the original engine serial number was 46255424. Body number is 000139. The coach just turned 115K miles.

Dan Lane
holt Michigan
2004 M 380 Wanderlodge
1993 38' Q-Bus converted
Old 06-04-2014

Second day on the road after the second head gasket repair. Oil pouring from under the valve cover. Valve cover bolts have correct torque, so it could only be a gasket that is damaged or not in the groove. Hard to believe trucks and buses run these engines. . .
04 M380
Old 06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Griesel View Post
Got the coach back yesterday. $7500 to replace the head and head gasket. Seems to start better, no noticeable difference in power.

The tech said again that the head bolts were too loose when he removed the head. Cummins included the loose bolt comment on the service order. They think the first gasket replacement was probably done by an apprentice and never checked.

Ran the coach about 300 miles today. No major issues, but the A/C compressor clutch does not work now. This after giving the shop an extra day to double check everything.

So, loose head bolts on the first gasket repair, a failed and leaking fuel pump replacement on the second repair, and no A/C on the third. Cummins has a perfect record: Zero for three!

Hard to find good help these days !!!