Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-15-2012
cmillsap

Default ABS & Brake Lights

My ABS light on dash is on. The Silverleaf diagnostics reads that the "Retarder Control Relay" is faulty. Anyone know where that relay is on a M380? Anyone have this problem before? I have changed all the relays & fuses in the lower electrial panel that are ABS or engine brake related which didn't solve the problem. The brake lights do not work either and I am assuming that is because of the ABS malfunction?? I have not been able to find a fuse for the brake lights. If there is one, can someone tell me where it is??

I tried re-setting the ABS with the button under the dash, that cleared the history but the light is still on.

I'm more concerned about getting the brake lights to come on as we had planned to go on a long trip starting tomorrow. I was hooking up the Jeep and found the brake light problem when we were making sure all lights were functioning properly.

Chuck

Last edited by cmillsap; 06-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2012

Chuck, The only thing I can find that might help is in the 'Chassis Electrical Center', located in the bay on the driver side, under the window. The bay with the generator start battery and auxillary air compressor. The top left relay is labled Brake Light. There are also some ABS relays in there. Hope this helps. Let us know.
Missouri
Old 06-15-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc&Linda View Post
Chuck, The only thing I can find that might help is in the 'Chassis Electrical Center', located in the bay on the driver side, under the window. The bay with the generator start battery and auxillary air compressor. The top left relay is labled Brake Light. There are also some ABS relays in there. Hope this helps. Let us know.
Thanks, Doc,

Yeah, I had already changed that relay. It is labeled "ABS Brake Signal" on my coach. Dave Sullivan (CoachWorx) and I have traced the problem to where Dave thinks it may be the air operated brake switch but I can not find it to test it. It is supposed to be somewhere under the front driver's side of the coach along with the park brake switch but I haven't been able to locate it. Dave did say BB had moved them on some coaches. There are 2 of these switches hanging down from the bottom of the dash on left side of steering column which I tested as I thought they may be the chassis & park brake switches, but they probably are for the air system gage and audible low air alarm.

If anyone knows where the Chassis & Park Brake Switches are located on a M380, I'd appreciate the info.

Chuck
Old 06-16-2012
cmillsap

Well, after spending a full day on the problem; we finally solved it. There is a broken wire or a bad pin on one of the multi-wire connectors on the back of the electrical distribution panel located near the chassis batteries. I disconnected the 2 electrical box connectors and found the pins to be clean and shiny. So rather than try to trace the bad wire in the harness, I just ran a new wire from the stop light relay to the brake lights.

I’ll pass along a couple of things I learned during the process.

1) The air operated brake light switch is indeed located and attached to the bottom of the dash. In fact, there are 2 switches hooked in parallel in case one malfunctions.

2) The park brake switch is also located there between the 2 brake light switches.

3) The brake light control circuit fuse and the stop light relay that it operates can be found in the electrical distribution panel by the batteries.

Chuck
Old 06-16-2012

Chuck, glad you got the problem resolved. Have a great trip.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2012

Thanks for passing that along Chuck...glad you got it figured out and repaired.
Old 06-16-2012

Chuck - ditto what Robert said. I've added your info to my file of important tech docs not provided by the factory.
Old 06-16-2012

Same as everyone else said Hope you have a great trip. Doc
Missouri
Old 08-12-2012

Default ABS buzzer

Does anyone know where the ABS buzzer is located and if it can be silenced? The light stays on and the buzzer is very annoying but the brakes seem to work OK? I looked in the pannel outside the drivers window and don't find anything that denotes the ABS or any brake?

Terry
Old 11-13-2013
Newbie Birdie

Default No Brake Lights

We have also just experienced no brake lights on our new to us 2004 M380.
After reviewing the electrical schematics I was able to do a couple of checks in the PDU electrical box located near the engine batteries. Once I eliminated the two service brake air pressure switches, 20 amp fuse (CB3-3) and stop light relay (K5-R5) as the source of the problem, I focused on the wiring between the relay and brake lights at the rear of the coach.
The culprit was the P87 (3 wire: 1 red-power and 2 white-grounds) connector. It's located on the passenger side inside the back of the engine compartment just above the two brake light housing. Because the P87 is just hanging by it's wires, the 3 internal pins were making poor contact. I was able to disconnect and firmly reconnect the male/female plugs. This made a stronger/better contact. In an effort to eliminate future loosening of the contacts, I tie-wrapped both sides of P87 to the wiring harness. This should help minimize the effects of vibrations.
Good to have brake lights again with no out of pocket costs .

Last edited by larocque_rdl; 03-15-2014 at 02:46 PM.