Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-08-2018

It's always one step forward and two steps back. I wanted to check that the dash switch was sending power to the relay in the computer compartment. That's the "relay" I called a spade junction block, but George said was the 12v controlled 120vac relay. It made sense that was the relay, as there was lots of space, and the spade connects were at various angles- more like relay connections than a junction block. I figured that the always on spade power was just an NC connection on a NO relay and I'd just missed the 12v control wires running down from the dash switch.

However. Closer inspection confirms my first inspection. The only wires going into that box are the 120vac power in and the 120vac power out to the compressor. There are no 12v relay control wires (unless they come in from the other side of the wall where the junction box is mounted?) So I'm back to question #1 where is the control relay? Pic attached of the junction box in the compressor compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_133753.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	57597  

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-08-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2018

For some reason the picture is turned on its side. The yellow wire should come into the junction box from the top. The white wire spade lug is neutral in. The red/black is neutral out to the compressor. The adjacent spade lugs for neutral are connected together in the junction block.

The black wire is hot in. The brown is hot out to the compressor. The lower spade lug it is connected to (actually, it's not connected now, but it was connected there) has no power, but I think it should have power. The spade lug above it is connected to the black hot lead in the junction block and has 120vac power. If I move the brown lead up one spade lug the compressor runs. The dash switch does nothing. The circuit diagram tells me the relay should be in the right bay#1, but I can't find it (yet). This is the first left bay.
Old 09-08-2018

I have my small 12v compressor unplugged, it was only installed to pressurize the slide seal, but mine ran all the time, probably due to bad reed valves. I do leave my Aux Compressor switch on 24/7, to keep my slide seal pressurized, it runs maybe 10 mins every 10-12 hrs. I also replaced several push lock fittings, and my system is mostly free of leaks.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 09-08-2018

More info, the 120v compressor has a 15amp breaker in the stairwell, and the associated relay is (I think) also there, it’s either Column 4, or Column 5 at the bottom..the schematic seems to show the compressor and landing lights share the same relay.
If the schematic is on WOG, look at drawing number 0043210.
If you need a hard copy of all 380 schematics let me know, and I can have a copy made for you
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 09-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
More info, the 120v compressor has a 15amp breaker in the stairwell, and the associated relay is (I think) also there, it’s either Column 4, or Column 5 at the bottom..the schematic seems to show the compressor and landing lights share the same relay.
If the schematic is on WOG, look at drawing number 0043210.
If you need a hard copy of all 380 schematics let me know, and I can have a copy made for you
In the stairwell makes sense since the circuit diagram says it's in the right bay #1. I'll check. I've got schematics.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018

There is a 7.5A 12v breaker in the fuse compartment above the stairwell. It's marked as a relay fuse for the 120vac air compressor. AFAICT however, there is no 120 vac in that compartment to connect to any relays. I suspect the fuse just controls power for the relay coil (or SSR equiv) and the relay itself is elsewhere. I backtracked the 120vac line for a ways, but lost it. I'll keep hunting.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

OK,
Here's how the 120v compressor control system is configured. The dash switch sends 12v control power to the Pumptrol pressure switch mounted above the compressor in the compressor compartment LB1 (Left Bay 1).

The 12v power from that switch is fused in the stairwell fuse compartment. The Pumptrol has a manual override that will turn it on. It's a red handle in the Pumptrol. The Pumptrol only switches 12v.

With the dash switch on and when the Pumptrol is manually turned on, or when the pressure is below it's set pressure of 125 psi, it sends 12 power to the relay shown in my picture above. The red/black wire is the 12v control DCV. The white wire to it's left is DC ground. When 12VDC is applied to those leads, the relay in my picture above closes and connects incoming 120VAC power on the black wire (hot) on the left to the brown wire on the right, which goes to the compressor. The empty spade lug above the brown wire is the NC normally closed lead. The brown wire is on the NO spade lug.

The relay is a Potter & Brumfield T9AP5D52-12 20A 240VAC on the NO lead and 10A on the NC.

I'll order the 40A relay posted in msg #2 - Thanks Bruce!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Oh, and the Pumptrol is a special pressure release switch. The small pressure lead dumps head pressure off the line from the compressor when it stops. BB had trouble with compressors burning up when trying to start under full pressure load.

My Pumptrol was leaking air on the main pressure outlet. I've tightened connections (air hoses and the diaphragm screws) and will test when it stops raining.

BTW, I heard an alarm under there while working. The slarm beep dlowed and eventually stopped. It couldn't be heard inside. Any idea what it was? I assume it was pressure, but why did it stop?

Last edited by RVinCT; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:59 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Great post, I’ll save it for future reference.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I ordered an SSR relay, but for testing, I wired in an old mechanical relay. The compressor got to about 120psi. The alarm started again. I'm not sure about what pressure it started. I could not get the Pumptrol to send power to the relay unless I hit the override lever. Somewhere about 120 psi, the Air Dryer in the left rear did a purge. Then the purge valve continued to leak air.

I stuck my finger onto the purge air outlet and by wiggling it, it would shut off for about 3 seconds, then start leaking again. All this time the alarm in the front is running. I released the Pumptrol override lever (this causes the compressor head pressure dump to activate as described above), the pump stopped and slowly the air leak at the Air Dryer also stopped. The alarm continued. I'll eventually figure out at what pressure all this happened, but hints on what's going on are appreciated. Does it sound normal or does the purge air leak seem wrong to you? I don't know how long a purge cycle should take and with the engine running and us inside, I don't know if it did this on the road.

So, I've solved the Pumptrol air leak, and found the bad relay, but the Pumptrol switch isn't working. It looks good, so I'll take it apart and test it then order a new one if it's bad.