Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2009

Thanks Lloyd, I didn't know it was adjustable. I will look into it.

What are your thoughts on my other post regarding the aux bat switch?

Dennis
Old 06-01-2010

To complete this thread. My awning finally would not retract more than an inch so this past weekend I removed the t.v. and gave the Current Limiting Device (CDL) a quarter turn counter clockwise and it did the trick; the awning is working fine. For anyone reading this who has not done this, the CLD has to be opened up and the adjustment screw is real small, you will have to closely to find it.

Thanks again to all of you for this valuable advice. Another project checked off (at least for now.)

Dennis
Old 06-18-2010

A few weeks ago I took the TV down and adjusted the CL by giving it about an 8th of a turn counter clockwise. Then I ran the awning in and out a good 6 times and it worked like a champ. Today for the first time since I adjusted the CL and my sucessful test, I ran the awning out and it would not retract. I plan on calling Girard tomorrow to get their thoughts, but wonder if you think I should either turn the CL counter clockwise again, perhaps a half a turn, or disconnect it altogether as it was suggested in this thread?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 06-18-2010

Dennis, I've been fighting the same problem. I'm leaning towards a combination problem. I think there may be some mechanical binding that is intermittant, or maybe poor electrical contact in the controller or current limiter. Mine seems to open under electrical power and I can occassionally close it under power. More often than not it won't close under power. However, it looks like the auto close function for high winds seems to work all the time. Check that auto close function by spinning up the anemometer.
Old 06-18-2010

Dan,

I called Girard today and the tech said that it is possible to correct the problem by adjusting the potentiometer (sp) (the adjustable part of the CL), but he said that it is difficult to make the right adjustment for both shore power and house battery power; sort of a hit and miss. He suggested I purchase a remove and replace part for the CL with their current model which automatically makes the right adjustments; this is a much improved model over the one we have. It cost $165 give or take $2 or $3 dollars I don't remember the exact quote. I will be ordering it as soon as I get back from this trip. For that kind of money I don't need the hit or miss with taking down the TV etc. The man I talked to a Girard was very familar with the problem and when I told him it worked great after I adjusted the CL he was not surprised, but I tested it on Coach power not shore power.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dennis
Old 06-18-2010

Please let me know how it works. $165 sounds like a bargain compared to replacing the complete unit. Last time it wouldn't close for me happened when a major thunderstorm woke me up in the middle of the night. I figured the wind was gonna pickup and I still don't complete trust the auto close function so I dashed outside and closed it manually. I was soaked before I finally got it cranked in.
Dan
Old 06-19-2010

Sorry for butting in on the 380 unique thread, but I also have a Girard awning on our lx40. The last time I tried to bring it in, nothing. I have decided to not use it again, ever. The flimsy action it has in even a minor breeze has me thinking this is a poor design for an awning. I would much rather have the "arms" to let out to stabalize the awning versus the sail that I currently have. I now have a portable pop up that we use instead of the ### Girard. Also, for Girard to charge $165 +/- for a circuit design defect tells alot. They should have customer service send the unit for free since the owner has to install in the field. Since everyone (it seems) has Girard awning problems, we should all call. Do you have the phone number/person talked to for us?
Old 06-20-2010

I did not ask the name of ther person I talked to, but he answered the phone when I called. Their number is 800-382-8442 or 949-259-4000. He basically implied that the new part is an upgrade. The old one had to be adjusted by hand, but the new one is automatic. He also replied to my discription of the problem that it sounds like the CL is bad.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Dennis
Old 06-21-2010

Just talked to Rickie x4040 at the 800 number above and here is what he sez. I described the will go out, but not in issue and he sez adjust the out limit switch. Asking why I need to do this, he sez the awning stretches and minor adjustments are required. I also went to www.girardrv.com and downloaded the G2000 manual that details the procedure. I will try this tonight and will post my results. What model awnings are on the M380?
Old 06-21-2010

Thanks Dennis, I do not know what model Girard is on the M380, perhaps one of the other members do; I will check the manuals I have. In any case please do let us know how you made out.

I did try retracting it yesterday on house battery power instead of shore power to see if that made a difference - since the person I talked to at Girard seem to imply that it might - and no luck, it would not retract more than a inch or so.

Dennis