Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2018

Default 87 PT40 - high pressure hydr. filter has been REMOVED. fix and reinstall or ...?

Folks,

Checked the fan/steering fluid level today in general prep for hopefully trying to get this bird out of my yard for the first time, and it was below the stick. That lead me down a rabbit hole...

So here's what I know: In 6/2014, roadside repair work was done for the PO while they were driving it home from buying it. That repair work included hydraulic fluid and fittings and filter removal (based on receipts).

There's a hydraulic filter sitting in a plastic tub in one of the compartments, and 4.5 gallons of new NAPA hydraulic fluid sitting next to it.

Behind the drivers tag wheel there's an empty bracket, 2 cut wires, and an awkward looking line with a slightly wet fitting stuck in the middle. That looks to me like where this filter housing would have gone.

So here are my questions:

How "OK" is this? 4 years of PO trips back and forth from orlando to tampa (to parliament) for various service work, and undefined but not long other trips. Unknown miles and hours.

I believe there are also filters in the reservoir canister - are those enough?

Should I expect pump, fan, and or steering failures because of the filter removal?

What about the use of hydraulic fluid in place of 10w30? I've read threads where folks have performed this replacement in the past - so my gut feeling says this is ~ok. Specifically, this is NAPA 85-101 "R&O Hydraulic Fluid"

Should I repair and replace the filter immediately? Or at all? I need to drive it a few hours (1 hour each way) ASAP for a termite tenting.....and with the prior driving that has been done, I dont think I'll take the time to fix it that fast.

Should I switch back to 10w30 (ND or detergent?) instead of hydraulic oil, or.... ?

Pictures of the filter and the space that's missing it, in case I'm wrong, attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8782.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	56780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8783.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	56781  
Old 08-06-2018
Forum owner

So,does that filter have a valve on it?
or was the valve remote mounted from the filter?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
So,does that filter have a valve on it?
or was the valve remote mounted from the filter?
there's the broken remains of a valve in the box - parker # 927477. 3 wires (one looks like a ground, the other two cut)

what does the valve contribute to the system? I haven't seen any diagrams for this system in the paperwork, nor in searching so far....
Old 08-06-2018

on searching, looks like that's a pressure switch, not a valve.

so the switch controls something. a valve? what would it look like?

edit: it's an indicator switch, so probably triggers the filter service light, huh.

from what I'm seeing on not-exactly-matching-parts, the 30p commonly seems to have an internal bypass valve.
Old 08-06-2018
Forum owner

there should be a valve that controls the fan,switches it on and off.
the filter filters the fluid to that valve,its sensitive to very small particles.
The switch on the filter turned on a light indicating if the filter was s=plugged up.
I THINK!
maybe one of the PT guys will step in and confirm,or not.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-06-2018
John Wyatt - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen View Post
there's the broken remains of a valve in the box - parker # 927477. 3 wires (one looks like a ground, the other two cut)

what does the valve contribute to the system? I haven't seen any diagrams for this system in the paperwork, nor in searching so far....
This should answer a few questions:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hydraulic System - 87 PT chassis parts manual.pdf (126.2 KB, 25 views)
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
there should be a valve that controls the fan,switches it on and off.
the filter filters the fluid to that valve,its sensitive to very small particles
ahh, gotcha. I'll poke around tomorrow to see if I can locate it - sounds like it might be worth pulling and cleaning/rebuilding (assuming it's serviceable) at the same time I reinstall the filter.

went ahead and ordered a new indicator switch - $35 find on ebay (not as good a deal as the 8v92 air filter I found for $33 shipped, though...). Guess I need to track down filters and orings too.
Old 08-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
This should answer a few questions:
thanks john!
Old 08-07-2018

well, new parts on the way: indicator switch, high pressure o-ring, reservoir o-ring, 3 filters for the reservoir, filter for the high pressure filter, 10 micron sock filter to pre-filter any oil I add.

sadly I have no idea why the filter housing was removed yet - other than the broken indicator, I dont see any visible sign of trama to the filter housing. so hopefully it's OK.. I need to tear it down and clean it up.

still need 2 o-rings for the 90 degree hydraulic fittings (where they mate to the filter housing), but I think I should have something in stock...worst case, a trip into town to the hydraulic shop. maybe I'll get a chance to verify size before I reinstall it.

Current plan is to just continue with the NAPA hydraulic fluid, since I have 3+ gallons of it sitting here unopened. (and another 5 of tractor hydraulic fluid new in the jub). Unless, that is, I start pulling fluid out and discover it looks/smells like atf or motor oil... I need to add missing oil now, though, so I guess I need to extract some and test it!