Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-24-2009

Default coolant leak

Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend.

On my last trip home from NH I developed a coolant leak just above the stater location. Couldn't see anything from below, other than dripping anti freeze, and nothing from above. So I pulled the cross member (actually part of the trailer hitch) to get a better look. Still couldn't see where it originated. Since it was running down the breather tube from the valve cover, I pulled that and found it to be leaking from what appears to be a coolant hose from the side of the block. I'm assuming it goes to the air compressor. Pulled the starter to get at it and then got rained out. Will have to finish it tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this problem. If so, what's it gonna be like to get that hose out.

Also since the starter is out, I'm gonna have it checked out by the local starter shop. When we were in PA last Christmas, I had a problem with the starter solnoid just clicking and not engaging when it got really cold. Never a problem in the warm weather. Perhaps some moisture froze in there.

Also, I've had my Bird for about 6 years now. Put about 80k on it. Does anyone know a GOOD place in South Florida that is familiar with 8V92's to get a first rate tune up. And what I can expect to pay.

And lastly, I getting ready to pull the muffler and run straight exhaust. Has anyone done this and how much noisier will it be. I've been told that because the turbo suppress's the noise, I won't hear much difference, but will experience more power and perhaps a little better MPG. Anyone got the scoop on this.

Thanks all.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 05-24-2009
Forum owner

Don,this hose has been talked about a lot,your lucky it is just leaking,most times they just blow out!
theres another hose you need to look at while your in there,it goes from the compressor to the head,both need to be replaced.

And yes,remove the muffler,you will be very happy with that mod.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-24-2009
Forum Moderator

Don replace both hoses to your compressor. If memory serves me the 'rotten hose' problem has really shown up in mid to late 80s V92 engines but I erred on the side of caution and replaced mine early. Well actually Randy and his helper Glen did all the work. I did supervise and provide constructive commentary. The Heckman and I work much the same.....we are allowed to wrench under supervsion.
Old 05-24-2009
Forum owner

Heck-man can fix teeth if we need him...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-24-2009
Forum Moderator

Ouch
Old 05-24-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Heck-man can fix teeth if we need him...

SO WHAT....Rob can fix......ah......er.......well......he can.............NEVER MIND!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-24-2009
Forum Moderator

Are your roof top search lights still working John??
Old 05-24-2009

Hay, pickin on the short guys again???

After being a Dentist for 40 years and taking the heat for that you guys are like just chuckles. Truth be told I always thought the dentist jokes were funny myself. Never took myself or the professional all that seriously. In the end when you really really need me it's not funny at all so I get some pay back and thanks on those occasions. Same with the attorneys the other most maligned profession.

And wrenching with supervision? You better believe it. Any one who is to proud to ask for or appreciate help is a ****** fool. Funny too how the more you know the less confident you can become. Or the other way of saying that is the more you know the more know you need to learn. I appreciate the help and I hope I know my limitations. In all that I do. I might have been a cocky little ******* a time or two in my life but I've learned a long time ago to respect my elders and those who are experienced be it plumbing, mechanics, what ever. And it doesn't matter what you do, helping each other is a good thing. I am more impressed with a fellow who is a shelf taught jack of all trades that most of the one dimensional professionals that know a lot about one thing and can't screw in a light bulb.

So I am defending my short friend Rob. He's helped me plenty. And I know you guys love'm too.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 05-24-2009
Forum Moderator

So there...take that hahahah
Old 05-24-2009

Hey, thanks everyone.

One coolant hose to the compressor had already been replaced by BB about 2 years ago along with the air line coming from the compressor to the chassis. I'll be doing the leaking hose this week. I just got done cleaning everything under there. What a MESS. 23 years of oil and dirt made for about 25 lbs of crud on the cross member and frame. The coach should get better mileage now with all the weight off!! Gonna replace the 1" coolant lines while I'm there. I found the main cable to the starter was worn thru in a few places. A fire waiting to happen? 23 bucks at NAPA for new 4 ft of #2 cable and copper ends. Cheap insurance. I always solder my ends on and then use shrink tube to seal 'em up. Also gonna re-due some of the wires to the solnoid and pressure switches under there.

And Rob....Randy and Glen did my tranny lines a few weeks ago. I too got to supervise and lend moral support and constructive commentary. That's probably why they invited Arley Roe over to take me back to his place to see his coach. Got me outa the way for a while!! (LOL) And I felt rejected when they wouldn't let me buy some pizza for lunch! (LOL again)

After this work, I'm still looking to get a tune up. And still trying to decide what tires to get. I'm replace all 8. I just went thru a set of Yokohama's. Wasn't particularly thrilled with them. They wore ok but the side walls cracked and had 2 failures. They are only 4 years old and always covered when not in use. Always ran good pressures and I use a Pressure Pro monitor system. I ran 115 to 120 in front, 95 in drive and 85 in tag. A little more than BB recommends, but I like a firmer ride and better mileage. Thinking about trying Toyo's or Bridgestone this time.

Also changing batteries back to 6 volt. Had a bank of 12 volt but they don't have the reserve the 6 volt do. Does anyone know of a good sealed 6 volt golf cart type battery. And after I remove the muffler, I'm gonna build a tray for 2 starting batteries and use an isolator to separate the house bank from the starters. Any recommendations on isolators?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler