Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufftoni View Post
While at the Coachworxs rally I was fortunate to see the compressor hose replacement Jim had done. he had left the floor open in his coach for this reason which I for one really appreciated. I had heard HORROR stories of these hoses ruptering and engines overheating as a result, a real death Nail for the 8V. Being a real NEWBIE i decided to tackle this myself to eleviate my fears. I removed the air matress and under the head of the bed was an inspection plate approx 25" x 25"s. After removing a bizillion bolts, I lifted the cover to reveal all the engine bay I normally can't see. This is a real easy job if you drain the coolant and follow normal procedure. I took the pics because I had no idea this access was there and thought I would have to remove the entire bed platform and then the floor to gain access, this is really easy. I was working on an 87 PT-40. I also checked my ALTERNATOR belts at JIMS suggestion as this is the time too do this and not while going down the road. As usual start the engine and run it through a couble of heat cycles before you close the floor as these belts sometimes will stretch a bit, really an easier job than I was expecting.

Hi Robert,
I have an 86 PT 38 with the same hatch opening even though I have twin beds. I might be back just a little more than you because I am two feet shorter, but it's close enough. I'm interested to here about the two ends going back to the block and how difficult they were to access and change. Let me know if you can. Did you replace with high-pressure hoses and fittings? I have this as my first project once the weather breaks here in NJ. Do you have a photo of the block side?

Thanks
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 01-17-2011

Hi Steven, I accually did not have to replace my hoses as they must have been replaced by the PO. They were a different color and fairly flexible. I can take more picyures for you, but it will be a few days, I fell last night and not sure if I frtactured my ankle or not so will have to give it a few days. The red hose comes off the turdo infeed and would be the air supply. The black hose to the right of it goes under the red one and directly into the block just at the end of the cylinder head. The stainless braided hose is the compressed air out. The other coolant hose is on the other end of air compressor head and I will get you a shot of that hose both ends also, bear with me I'm sure you will have snow for a few more days, ROTTEN SNOW!!!!
87 PT-40
Old 01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufftoni View Post
Hi Steven, I accually did not have to replace my hoses as they must have been replaced by the PO. They were a different color and fairly flexible. I can take more picyures for you, but it will be a few days, I fell last night and not sure if I frtactured my ankle or not so will have to give it a few days. The red hose comes off the turdo infeed and would be the air supply. The black hose to the right of it goes under the red one and directly into the block just at the end of the cylinder head. The stainless braided hose is the compressed air out. The other coolant hose is on the other end of air compressor head and I will get you a shot of that hose both ends also, bear with me I'm sure you will have snow for a few more days, ROTTEN SNOW!!!!
Thanks Robert. .Sorry to hear bout the ankle. I have plenty of time, so don't do anything to further compound the injury. Like you said, I have plenty of snow to get past before I'm in position to do some work. I think I will end up pulling the starter, but I'm more concerned with reaching the compressor side on the 38 PT which is very high.

Take care of that ankel.
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 11-07-2011

Default What About The Oil Line

Started on changing out the compressor coolant lines. Have the batteries out , the starter out and 3 of the 4 coolant fittings. Once I got the starter out noticed a Y type fitting close to the where one of the coolant lines is attached to the side of the block. One of the Y's goes to a solenoid type thing-(one of a row of three solenoids on the frame rail) I assume this is the oil pressure sensor that detects the 3psi - has a little oil dripping from it. The other leg of the Y seems to go to the compressor.
Any suggestions on whether to change out that oil pressure pressure solenoid and the oil lines to it and the and the compressor. Anyone have a part number for the oil pressure solenoid thingy.
Surprisingly when I grabbed the coolant lines they didn't break-still a little flexible. Are the oil lines subject to bursting as well?? Any other lines that I should consider replacing while in that area.
Kansas, Il
Old 11-08-2011
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejallison1 View Post
Started on changing out the compressor coolant lines. Have the batteries out , the starter out and 3 of the 4 coolant fittings. Once I got the starter out noticed a Y type fitting close to the where one of the coolant lines is attached to the side of the block. One of the Y's goes to a solenoid type thing-(one of a row of three solenoids on the frame rail) I assume this is the oil pressure sensor that detects the 3psi - has a little oil dripping from it. The other leg of the Y seems to go to the compressor.
Any suggestions on whether to change out that oil pressure pressure solenoid and the oil lines to it and the and the compressor. Anyone have a part number for the oil pressure solenoid thingy.
Surprisingly when I grabbed the coolant lines they didn't break-still a little flexible. Are the oil lines subject to bursting as well?? Any other lines that I should consider replacing while in that area.

If i had all that stuff out i would surely change every hose in sight!
and solenoid thingie too.
Which i suspect is the oil pressure sending unit.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejallison1 View Post
i replaced the oil lines and serviced the intake check valves(starter side ck. is by the y)....you have starter out of the way no sense leaving even small oil leak if you can help it they only get worse...also would chech oil feed hard line from gear housing to supercharger( small 1/4 inch o.d. line aprox. 3 inch long with packing gland in center of line on engine by compressor)...it was in need of new seal on my coach
good luck mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 11-08-2011

Default Compressor coolant lines

In a previous post I had listed a name from the compressor cooling lines we used to use on 6V & 8V equipped fire trucks. Look under my previous posts. DO NOT use standard heater hose. It doesn't like the heat and will get brittle. The good stuff may have to come from a hydraulic hose supply house.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-09-2011

Default How to service check valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
i replaced the oil lines and serviced the intake check valves(starter side ck. is by the y)....you have starter out of the way no sense leaving even small oil leak if you can help it they only get worse...also would chech oil feed hard line from gear housing to supercharger( small 1/4 inch o.d. line aprox. 3 inch long with packing gland in center of line on engine by compressor)...it was in need of new seal on my coach
good luck mike
How do you service this check valve? I am assuming this is a valve that the slobber tube is connected to.

Rick - after researching the dayco brand of silicone hoses is what you mentioned. Specs shows a higher temp rating (350F) than the goodyear gorilla hoses (190F).
Kansas, Il
Old 11-09-2011

Rick - after researching the dayco brand of silicone hoses is what you mentioned. Specs shows a higher temp rating (350F) than the goodyear gorilla hoses (190F).[/QUOTE]

The hoses we used in the fire dept were as follows:
Dayco USA # 7212 Jiffy Hose, Push On, 300 psi max Working Pressure
This part number is for 1/2" hose so if you need another size the part number will be different but the hose supply house should know that.

Here is a link to the hose supply house I am familiar with:

http://www.hosedirect.com/ContactUs.php

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-09-2011

Default Silicone Heater Hose

Got the last fitting undone. Went to find replacement hose. Finally went to advance auto and ordered this:

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...1!OpenDocument

Is rated to 350F and when called tech dept said it was rated to 250 psi. Very expensive at $4/ft. No one in my area had silicone hoses in stock and best heat rating waqs 212F on what they did have. Little to close for comfort. Shorter of the two hoses was brittle-longer hose still flexible.

Still gathering courage for the braided SS oil lines in there.
Kansas, Il

Last edited by ejallison1; 11-10-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling