Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 01-12-2009

Thanks John for this very practical info! Is there a resource for height restrictions as well? I can't remember how many times I've ducked going under an overpass. Sometimes the signage says it's tall enough for the BB but it doesn't look that way when you're approaching it. On our maiden voyage up the east coast and into Canada we were directed onto the New Jersey Turnpike as part of a route to get around NYC. We had never been driving in that part of the country and it was our first MH. Shortly after getting on we were scrambling to get off due to old arched overpasses for the trains. We didn't notice or see warning signs till after we were on the turnpike. It may have been there but I was new at driving the BB and probably didn't notice. After getting off we contacted the DOT or state police-can't remember. They said "Oh yah-just stay in the middle of the arch you should be alright. We run 18 wheelers through here for local deliveries" Chicken little took over and I decided to take another route.

Ed Allison
1985 PT40-fire
looking for another
Old 01-12-2009
Former Bird Owner

The Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas has a lot of restriction information. It's at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/McNally-Motor-...1805810&sr=1-1 (You may need to reassemble this URL.)

The basic atlas is $13.57, but there's also a "deluxe" version for about $50. I don't know what the difference is. The only limitation is that the low clearance structures listed are only on the "designated routes" (where trucks are allowed) so if you're off the authorized truck routes, it might not show low structures. I also note that the atlas I have doesn't list the length restricted routes for over 40' vehicles.

Still, it's better than nothing.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-12-2009
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
The Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas has a lot of restriction information. It's at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/McNally-Motor-...1805810&sr=1-1 (You may need to reassemble this URL.)

The basic atlas is $13.57, but there's also a "deluxe" version for about $50. I don't know what the difference is. The only limitation is that the low clearance structures listed are only on the "designated routes" (where trucks are allowed) so if you're off the authorized truck routes, it might not show low structures. I also note that the atlas I have doesn't list the length restricted routes for over 40' vehicles.

Still, it's better than nothing.
The DELUXE version has a spiral binding and the page are laminated, so that you can write on them with a erasable ink pen, plus this makes it harder to accidentally put DOG EARS on the pages.. I used one in the business for years before I went with the GPS and the laptop. There is a program that is designed for truckers that has more information on it than you would most likely need for an RV but is used by many truckers, one of its features is Low bridge avoidance - keeps to legal trucking routes, check out http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptruck.htm

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-13-2009

Ed,
I haven't yet found a height resource, other than the Rand McNally trucker's atlas I've got. I haven't used it enough to become comfortable with it, so I don't know how well it's going to work. I started this whole thing because of a regular trip to the hills of Arkansas where I cross a limited bridge, that seems to indicate I couldn't legally cross it with my bird. The altas did NOT indicate any problems with this route and I know it's a main route to Hot Springs, when coming from the west. So, I'm wondering "what's up with this?"- here's all these trucks, certainly over the "weight limit" of this bridge, yet they don't even slow down! Now I understand that that's the limit for each of 2 trucks crossing the bridge at the same time. I used to run the Baltimore, MD to Bangor, ME corridor routinely, but haven't since we got the bird. Yes, there are a ton of old bridges where I'd be ducking and puckering at the same time!! We want to travel in that part of the world someday, so I might as well start figuring out how to read the height restrictions on these maps. Maybe John's trucker's software will be the ticket. Hopefully it won't swear at me when I try to use it!!

The main DieselBoss site looks like it could be quite useful. The software only version is $195 and uses your GPS, though I don't know if you can use it without a GPS. You can get a GPS enabled version that will work with your GPS for $295, receiver included.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 01-13-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-13-2009
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Ed,
I haven't yet found a height resource, other than the Rand McNally trucker's atlas I've got. I haven't used it enough to become comfortable with it, so I don't know how well it's going to work. I started this whole thing because of a regular trip to the hills of Arkansas where I cross a limited bridge, that seems to indicate I couldn't legally cross it with my bird. The altas did NOT indicate any problems with this route and I know it's a main route to Hot Springs, when coming from the west. So, I'm wondering "what's up with this?"- here's all these trucks, certainly over the "weight limit" of this bridge, yet they don't even slow down! Now I understand that that's the limit for each of 2 trucks crossing the bridge at the same time. I used to run the Baltimore, MD to Bangor, ME corridor routinely, but haven't since we got the bird. Yes, there are a ton of old bridges where I'd be ducking and puckering at the same time!! We want to travel in that part of the world someday, so I might as well start figuring out how to read the height restrictions on these maps. Maybe John's trucker's software will be the ticket. Hopefully it won't swear at me when I try to use it!!

The main DieselBoss site looks like it could be quite useful. The software only version is $195 and uses your GPS, though I don't know if you can use it without a GPS. You can get a GPS enabled version that will work with your GPS for $295, receiver included.
Only if you happen to have your CB tuned to Channel 19

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-14-2009

I just found this unit: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...90&pCatg=11279

And here's the slightly smaller version: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...89&pCatg=11279

These both give height restrictions, weight restrictions, one lane roads, etc, etc. May come in real handy. The biggest downside that I've found so far (and it's moderately large) is the "upgrades" are expensive, at $129 each time, from what I can tell. Their site is rather cryptic in this area. On the good side, the unit does accept rear view camera input, so one could easily add a camera if desired or needed. You can also add an external antenna if needed as well.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-14-2009

I've already gotten a reply from the DieselBoss site indicating the software only version can be used without a GPS. So you could plan your trips on a laptop or with a map and check your route with this software.

Old 01-14-2009
Former Bird Owner

I've heard several positive reports about CoPilot Truck software on the AllAboutRVing list. Note that it runs on Windows, so those of us using an older Mac (that can't run Windows) are out of luck.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com