Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 08-21-2008
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Usually when you stop at that rest area just east of Wendover during Speedweek, if you look off to the north, you can see the cars over on the Bonneville Salt Flats Speedweek courses, although they will be very small in the distance.
Yes, I went up on the observation platform and took a number of pictures with a 300mm lens - haven't looked at them yet so I don't know if they can be enlarged enough to show much detail, but it looked like a small city over there. I saw one (something) make a run; only could tell because it went from right to left at easily a couple of hundred miles per.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-21-2008
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
I've read your post and many others concerning the RV Islands at Flying J. Now that things have changed and many may be now deciding to use the RV islands I'd like to say that I've used the RV Islands almost exclusively over the last 5 years. I've fueled a 40ft rig plus 15ft toad at Flying J 15 times in the last year and have never had a problem.
Rob, I wasn't implying a problem with the islands. My problem is with the pumps. I plan my stops many hundreds of miles ahead, and usually am taking on 150 or more gallons. I only have a single fuel fill, and it takes at least 10 times as long to fill on the RV island as it does on a truck island.

I've never liked holding others up for what I consider an unreasonable length of time. I pull over if people are behind me on two lane roads, etc. It bothers me to hog a fuel island for as long as it takes, but paying 9 cents per gallon extra will probably bother me more!
Old 08-21-2008
Mike and Tracy

Default 7.8 U.S. mpg on the DDEC

Is what we regularly see, toad aboard or not. We set cruise at 65 mph. Up here, Diesel is $1.30 a litre (about 5.20 per U.S. Gallon).

We always use the cruise. No "to the floor" starts. Our genny is almost always running when we're on pavement. They don't burn much.

Our expedition barely gets 18 mpg unloaded, and about 10 mpg with a horse or travel trailer in tow, so the Bird is actually pretty economical.

And those are cdn mpg (MPIG on the DDEC) we had 5qt gallons up here before we went to this metric stuff). So, subtract 20% from the 7.8 on the DDEC to get to US MPG. Still not bad I think for 50,000 pounds.

Just did an 800 mile run today with cruise at 65mph and we were up to 8.4 MPIG (miles per imperial gallon)

We make up for it all with our toad, which is a Jetta TDI which we get 60-65mpg (Cdn) combined.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $90k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Last edited by mhughes01; 09-02-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2008
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Not trying to start a flame war, but I keep very good records of fuel, and I have the Detroit Pro Driver (although not truely accurate, it's close enough, and relative is all that matters). You all will call me crazy, but my wife can confirm it, I generally get better fuel mileage at 70 than I do at 65 or sometimes 60.

The key is the wind, just like sailing or flying. Head winds kill all of us. I watched my mileage, at a constant speed, when the wind changes go from the 7s to the low sixes. I have gotten as much as 8+ at 70 when I have a good tail wind. I adjust my speed, when time allows, to match the wind direction by slowing down in head winds and hauling *** in tail winds. My averages are in the mid to high 6's for 70,000 miles. I usually travel with full fuel, full water (although changing that) and towing a 5,000 Jeep.

So, John, the next time I am pushing you, it's a tail wind Besides, the faster we got there the faster I got away from the smoke One of these days I'll slow down, I guess, and "smell the roses".
Just to clarify what Paul is referring to, when I'm trying to stay in front of a BIG 'BIRD on those hills, my little ol' CAT 3208NA tends to smoke a LITTLE;

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/80800665

Now as far as calling Paul crazy, well.............................................. ..I better be quiet, because he and Lyn make a killer breakfast at Maxton

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-21-2008

Slightly off subject, but I notice most of you speak of using the RV Island at the FJ. Isn't all the fuel at the RV Island USLD? Arn't the majority of us better off to use USD in our coaches? Besides staying out of the way of the trucks, what's the advantage of using the RV Island?
Old 08-21-2008
Geek

Today I would say that there is no advantage to using the RV Island. After next week, the advantage will be saving 9 cents per gallon with a credit card, currently possible on the truck pumps with an FJ RV card, but not after September 1.
Old 08-25-2008

I use a Pentagon Federal credit union platinum rewards visa card. It is primariily for Pentagon employees and active duty military but almost anybody can qualify by joining a military supporting organization. the annual membership fees for the various organizations are $10-$20 and you will have to buy a $5 share in the PenFed credit union (a one time cost). This card gives me a 5% discount on all fuel purchased at the pump, 2% at supermarkets, and 1.25% on everything else. You can recoup the initial investment on the first fillup and they rebate at the end of each month. Go here to join and get your card:
https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

i do my own atf and oil changes and I also recycle my trans fluid and motor oil by mixing them 50-50 and then straining them and re-packaging them in used 1 quart oil or atf bottles. i put a couple of quarts of this mixture in my tank at each fillup. this saves a little fuel and lets my re-cycle without hauling it to a re-cycle station.

dave diamond

Last edited by Dave Diamond; 08-25-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: forgot to sign my post
Old 08-25-2008
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Diamond View Post
I use a Pentagon Federal credit union platinum rewards visa card. It is primariily for Pentagon employees and active duty military but almost anybody can qualify by joining a military supporting organization. the annual membership fees for the various organizations are $10-$20 and you will have to buy a $5 share in the PenFed credit union (a one time cost). This card gives me a 5% discount on all fuel purchased at the pump, 2% at supermarkets, and 1.25% on everything else. You can recoup the initial investment on the first fillup and they rebate at the end of each month. Go here to join and get your card:
https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

i do my own atf and oil changes and I also recycle my trans fluid and motor oil by mixing them 50-50 and then straining them and re-packaging them in used 1 quart oil or atf bottles. i put a couple of quarts of this mixture in my tank at each fillup. this saves a little fuel and lets my re-cycle without hauling it to a re-cycle station.

dave diamond
Dave,

What do you use to strain the mixture with, before you re-package them in to the used 1 quart oil or atf bottles? how many gallons of fuel do you figure each of your fill-ups is that you add a couple of quarts to?

I know that Randy uses old oil in his big fork lift, how many other members are doing something similar? Do you mix old atf and motor oil or add either of them just by themselves? Do you notice anything different other than the savings in your pocketbook, such as more fuel filter changes, etc.. any kind of information for our members would be helpful.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-25-2008

i have been using the old motor oil/atf mix for over 6K miles now and have not changed fuel filters. i strain it by putting a paint strainer into a big funnel and insert the funnel into a qt bottle and pour it in gradually. i have a small diesel tank (only 45 gallons) and my normal fillup is 35 gals prox. i would not be concerned about putting more than 2 qts of my mixture in a 35 gallon fillup but i have a limited supply and i like to spread it out so that i have a little extra lubrication in each tank just in case the ultra low sulfur diesel distributor forgot to put in the lubricants required to keep from ruining my injector pump. mixing the atf with the motor oil is not necessary and i won't do that next time. In the future, i will package it separately and pour one qt motor oil and one qt atf in before filling up.
dave diamond
Old 08-25-2008
Forum owner

hey Dave,hows the allison tranny working out for you?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com