Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-27-2012

Default The Toughest Bridge in the World! How high is you bird?

Caught this video from a friend of mine... pretty fun to watch all of the folks who ignore the blinking lights. I guess that I figured them all for foreign truck drivers until I saw the 5th wheel lose it's vent cover and A/C unit.

http://www.prochan.com/view?p=da1_1351183858

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-27-2012

HEH !!!!! What do you have against truck drivers? I is one! LOL Too funny Shane. It looks as though the 5'er didn't even notice
Austintown,Ohio
Old 11-27-2012

I saw that video last week. The guy has been videotaping that bridge for four years and he never has a lack of new material. It's amazing how many people ignore the signs and flashing lights...

Mike Shaw
98 LX
Northern Virginia

Old 11-27-2012

There is a bridge like that in Commerce City Colorado. I have had several customers test the measurement there......

Father and Sons Moving
Two men and a truck
Wonderbread
Cowboy Moving and Storage
UHaul
BluePoint Bakery

What is really bad is if the same driver does it twice....ouch
FMCA 387867
Old 11-27-2012
Forum owner

theres a bridge in Jax Fl like that.The Myrtle street via dock.
I lost a few trucks there myself.
With employees driving.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-27-2012

Just north of our fire station on Main Street in Dexter, MI is a very old, stone railroad viaduct. It is a narrow 2 lanes and 11'6" tall in the middle. It is an arch design though, so the 11'6" clearance is not very wide and in the dead center. Our fire apparatus all fit if you are in the exact center of the roadway. If not, you'll leave some emergency lights on the side of the roadway.
About 2-3 times per month someone in a truck, usually a straight box truck, chooses to not believe the clearance or ignores the NUMEROUS warning signs. Being stone, it is extremely unforgiving, and due to the slope of the road surface, any truck heading north becomes very firmly wedged beneath it. This summer a 5th wheel camper treied and was too tall. Took a couple of hours to get it out, with the air being let out of the tires.
Has some entertainment value when washing the apparatus. Maybe we should install some cameras.
Old 11-27-2012

It's hard to believe that they don't have several signs miles back leading up to this bridge.

I wonder if it not possible for them to dig a lower underpass?

Bet those people it happened to, didn't think it too funny.

Know we would have been in shock. But I do look for the high limit. The 13 footers make me a tad nervous, with the A/C s and all.

I remember reading here once about you guys all measuring the Birds heights at a Rally. Wasn't around 12' 6"??? And was that with AC units or not???
Old 11-27-2012
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBee View Post
It's hard to believe that they don't have several signs miles back leading up to this bridge.

I wonder if it not possible for them to dig a lower underpass?

Bet those people it happened to, didn't think it too funny.

Know we would have been in shock. But I do look for the high limit. The 13 footers make me a tad nervous, with the A/C s and all.

I remember reading here once about you guys all measuring the Birds heights at a Rally. Wasn't around 12' 6"??? And was that with AC units or not???

Here is the thread you are talking about Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices > Height Measurements of 'Birds, Low Clearances, Bridge Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
At this years RATS I had my height measuring stick on hand to measure the different heights of some of the 'Birds in attendance and while I just drove the golf cart from site to site as I could no longer physically raise and lower the stick numerous times, so Thomas Rembert did all of the measuring with the help of the 'Birds owner deciding where the highest point on his or her coach was at, then Dick Gideon recorded all of the measurements.

Cheryl Hintsala sent me a couple of pictures that I have combined together here that shows THE CREW with Thomas Rembert holding the measuring stick while John Hintsala up on the roof has placed the cross bar on the highest point on his 'Bird and then Dick Gideon recorded the final measurement of John and Cheryl's 2001 LXI that had a height of 12' 4", they would then add 6" to that figure making there safe height at 12' 10" to allow for suspension movement and pavement irregularities when they go under low structures. I would still be cautious even going under a structure that is marked at 12' 10" just in case the highway department has repaved under it and forgot to change the indicated height of the structure, I just don't take anything for granted.

I would also be extra cautious when going under any structure where the pavement is going down hill on one side and then going right back up on the other, especially if the structure is close to your safe height

Here below I showed how the Measurements would be taken and then indicated that I strongly suggested that an additional 6 inches be added to that measurement and a sign of some type placed either on or near the dash in front of the drivers viewing area for a quick reference, when approaching a low structure.

Disregard the thin red box outline in the last list, it showed up when I copied and pasted the image.

I know somebody took a picture of Thomas and Dick while we were going from 'Bird to 'Bird and I'd like to have it posted here as those two guys really saved the day and Thomas in particular was getting pretty tired after we completed all of the measuring, the stick even though it is made up of fiberglass, it has about 6 sections to it and then adding the weight of the arm makes carrying it around and then raising and lowering it time after time can take its toll on a person, thanks again Thomas and Dick for helping out, I couldn't have done it without you.

Also see;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-27-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

There are several publications and websites that offer a list of low bridges, by state or highway.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%2...ces.html#North Carolina Low Clearances
Cell, 918-689-8800 or 918-689-8888
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
http://eulake.com/SpeedCalculator.html
http://eulake.com/AH106SM.pdf
Old 11-27-2012

Thanks John, for the link.
And you are absolutely right about what you say, as evidenced in this video.
It's not only the approach that got some but the turn upwards after the dip. Good point.
And it might please you to know, that what you did here, your efforts, did sink in for at least one person, if not several. Just as it pleases me to know, that I still remembered that 12'6" was the LXi height. Thanks, Good Buddy!