Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-28-2014

Unhappy Jacks will not retract, rear slide will not come in

Well, when we were doing the usual preps for heading back from Disney after a week. The rear slide would not come it. The LR slide came in but not the bedroom. I relieve led a half dozen time with no joy, so I moved the coach up a few feet, and restarted the process. At some point the jacks started to act up and would not retract. I found the t handles and retracted manually.

I reset and relieve led the jacks. They will still not retract automatically. Now when I turn the key on the pump immediate starts and the seal does not appear to be deflating. I gave up and called Good Sam. I tried to make sure whoever they sent out had Bluebird/HWH experience but they said they could not guarantee nothing. They will pay for the travel out to the coach only.

So the guy called and I ran him through the events and he basically, but politely asked me no to screw with anything else until his tech got here. I did take that a little personally but now that I consider that the situation is worse now than when I started, I guess I can understand his concern.

Oh well, there are worse places to be stuck that is for sure!

Coach for sale!

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 09-28-2014

I don't own a newer coach, but have you tried starting the coach and attempting these steps with the engine idling? Some require the added boost of the engine alternator to make adequate voltage for running the hydraulics.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-28-2014

bay doors closed?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-28-2014

Sounds like a lot of the posts on the SOB forums.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 09-28-2014

Yep, the bay's were closed, even went out and opened and re-closed each of them. I also ran the engine while trying to get the slide in. The Tech they sent out works on fire trucks at the airport and the company itself is out of Boston. I told the Tech after an hour and a half at $195.00 an hour that he was just guessing and he agreed. He managed to get the slide to move but could not figure out how to release the seal air. If he could have, we could have gotten the slide in, but he nor I had not idea how to do that.

He called his boss and his boss had the gall to tell him to tell me that he was going to stay until he fixed it to which the tech told him that he would not do that. What a racket! Good Sam is going to get an earful.

So my plan at this point is to call Parliament in the morning and see if they can get me on the road or send someone over.

I am open to suggestions!
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 10-02-2014

Just as an update, I called Parliament on Monday and Chris got me in touch with John who is the Bluebird guy, within a few minutes he gave me a course of action and within the hour the slide was in and the jacks were up (manually).

I saw the charge from the Mobile techs visit and it was a whopping 610.35! The guy was there for 1 1/2 hours and admittedly he tried hard but simply did not have the expertise to fix the problem. I guess not too many firetrucks have slides. I have lodged a complaint to Good Sam and am in the process of disputing the CC charge.

On the bright side, the ride home was uneventful and I now know how to relieve the hydraulic slide pressure and how to manually retract the jacks. Not 610.35 worth of knowledge but still a good learning experience.
I can't say enough about the help I got from Parliament, I got of the phone and said to Michele, "Now THAT is the way to run a shop"! Thanks Guys!

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 10-03-2014
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlegue2 View Post
Just as an update, I called Parliament on Monday and Chris got me in touch with John who is the Bluebird guy, within a few minutes he gave me a course of action and within the hour the slide was in and the jacks were up (manually).

I saw the charge from the Mobile techs visit and it was a whopping 610.35! The guy was there for 1 1/2 hours and admittedly he tried hard but simply did not have the expertise to fix the problem. I guess not too many firetrucks have slides. I have lodged a complaint to Good Sam and am in the process of disputing the CC charge.

On the bright side, the ride home was uneventful and I now know how to relieve the hydraulic slide pressure and how to manually retract the jacks. Not 610.35 worth of knowledge but still a good learning experience.
I can't say enough about the help I got from Parliament, I got of the phone and said to Michele, "Now THAT is the way to run a shop"! Thanks Guys!

Ed
Ed in case the procedure for retracting your jacks and the slide is different or not posted here on WOG could you let us know what steps Parliament gave you to manually fix your problem.
Old 10-05-2014

Sure thing!

For my LXI the "T" handles which relieve the pressure on the jacks and the slide parts is located just forward of my first bay in the center. There is an access cover so getting to them was not difficult once I found out where they were. It was dirty and greasy. The four T handles on the curb side control the jacks and I believe the 2 center ones are for the front jacks and the outboard ones control the rear. On the driver side there are at least 5 T handles and most of them are marked. I did not know what was exactly wrong so I exercised all the handles.

I was just about to disconnect the airline for the rear slide which was located under the bed when I decided just for the heck of it to try the slide to see if it might work. Part of the problem was that when the key was turned the pump would come on instead of coming on when the Amber light came on (after the deflation of the seal), with the toggle switch.

When I turned the key the pump came on but this time the slide moved in about 3 inches and then stopped. I shut everything down, waited a few minutes and tried again. This time the slide functioned normally, evacuating the air upon turn the key and the slide came in normally once the Amber light came on.

I don't know exactly why the slide began to work but I am guessing there was some sort of hydraulic lock for some reason that was eliminated once I turned all the T handles. I still had to raise the jack manually and have not worked further on that just yet.

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 10-06-2014
Forum Moderator

Thank you Ed. Your info may prove valuable to someone in the future.