Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-26-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCayman View Post
Hi All,

I have been in this area that John is in for about 5 months (I 20 between Abieine and Odessa) I have met a couple of RV owners who tow race car trailers and they are over the 65' mark and every time they run from here to Dallas for the races they all get stopped and ticketed I have heard this from 3 different people. I did not ask how much the ticket was but I did hear that you can apply for an over lenth permit for a month with allows you to come and go in that time frame. I have not verified with the state DOT. Hope that might help if you are over the limit.

Denny
California has some rules that allow a small over length ONLY for race car trailers. Other states may have similar arrangements. It pays to check the DOT and Vehicle Code rules for each state you pass through.

Drivers license is good if the state that issued your license is correct for the vehicle. In CA, standard driver's license can drive anything up to 40'. (Over 40' requires at least a "non commercial Class B" license.)

So, you can take your 40,000# PT40 into Texas with a standard CA license. Texas requires a Class B or better license above 26,000 lbs (no length factor involved) -- several other states follow the Texas approach.

FWIW, Arizona allows motorhomes to take a gas tax discount if you weigh less than 26,000 lbs. That one is hard to turn down....

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCayman View Post
Hi All,

I have been in this area that John is in for about 5 months (I 20 between Abieine and Odessa) I have met a couple of RV owners who tow race car trailers and they are over the 65' mark and every time they run from here to Dallas for the races they all get stopped and ticketed I have heard this from 3 different people. I did not ask how much the ticket was but I did hear that you can apply for an over lenth permit for a month with allows you to come and go in that time frame. I have not verified with the state DOT. Hope that might help if you are over the limit.

Denny

Sounds like they have a DOT guy with a thing for over length rigs, We had one of those types here in South Central Tn 4 or 5 years ago. this guy hassled everybody, The Sheriffs dept and Troopers didn't like taking the heat this guy generated. The town fathers petitioned Nashville to relocate this guy, they did. Thanks for the heads up on a stretch of Hwy. to avoid.