Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 01-03-2010
Wannabe

Default Weigh Stations do we have to stop at them?

Is there a post mentioning the if and or when one needs to stop at weigh stations?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010

Default When to stop at a weigh station

Mark:

I don't know of a state that requires a private RV to stop at a weigh station.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 01-04-2010

weigh stations are for commercial vehicles only
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-04-2010
Wannabe

That's what I figured, but best to ask stupid questions than to get bitten!
Thanks
Old 01-04-2010
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Is there a post mentioning the if and or when one needs to stop at weigh stations?

Thanks
Sparky,

Be aware that you can still be stopped by the DOT or State Police for various reasons such as this one that I encountered on my trip;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...99&postcount=2

Jerry,

I got stopped the other day by a Texas DPS officer (Highway Patrol) who wanted to measure the overall length of my 'Bird and enclosed trailer, once he was done measuring he informed me that Texas length law allowed 65 foot and mine measured 62 feet (I already knew this) and then he asked for my license which he looked over carefully front and back and then wished me a good safe trip as he let me go.

I too decided to get the proper South Carolina drivers license last summer and I'm glad I did. The word I got about enforcement in South Carolina was that they are looking for the correct license now more than they ever did, after one of the state legislators received a ticket for not having the correct one while he was driving his RV in California and was involved in an accident, so my advice is if you need to upgrade that drivers license, better to do it now than later after it costs you $$$$$$$

Don't take the word of a salesman trying to sell you a 'Bird that tells you you don't need a special license to drive it.....take the time to check directly with your states Department Of Transportation to get the facts straight for yourself.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Sparky,

Be aware that you can still be stopped by the DOT or State Police for various reasons such as this one that I encountered on my trip;
john
in Fla that would be a class :E ; it states all RVs

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 01-04-2010
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Don't take the word of a salesman trying to sell you a 'Bird that tells you you don't need a special license to drive it.....take the time to check directly with your states Department Of Transportation to get the facts straight for yourself.
The general rule is that you must be licensed correctly for the state where you have your driver's license. Other states have reciprocal agreements to accept each other's licenses. [Check the web site of the DMV or DOT of each state you plan to travel to or through for exceptions.]

Most states use weight as a cut off. Typically vehicles weighing over 26,000 lbs require an upgraded license. California allows you to use your standard "class C" license on any RV up to 40' (without regard to weight). But over 40' requires at least a "non commercial class B" license. This license also requires a medical information form signed by a licensed physician.

So, check with your state of residence (where you're driver's license is issued) to ensure that you have the correct license for your vehicle.

Of course anyone with Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is covered, since "higher" licenses cover "lower" vehicles. [Again, there are possible exceptions, so check with your state DMV or DOT for verification.]

What this means is that in most states, due to weight (over 26,000 lbs) 'bird drivers will need an upgraded driver's license. California licenses are good for any weight, so long as the vehicle is not over 40' in length. That puts the '95 S-60 and most newer 'birds into the special license category.

Vehicle codes and DOT regulations refer to "recreational vehicles, RVs, and 'housecars'." So as you search a DMV web site, don't forget that archaic "housecar" designation.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com