Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 07-26-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Using your computer on the road

When you are traveling, or if you are a Fulltimer, where do you put your computer so that it is easy to use when you are stopped and where do you store it so that it will be out of the way when traveling? Here are a few ways that some of the members do just that;

Carol Blemel has a built in storage for her laptop,

That opens up and slides right into her lap so that she can use her laptop whenever she wants to either while traveling down the road or stopped for the night or an extended stay somewhere.

This is the way that I do it in my 'Bird;

The indoor outdoor carpet also prevents the board from sliding off of the steering wheel and holds the laptop in place, I simply store the wood behind the seat while traveling.

Now it's your turn to show and/or tell us how you handle this situation in your 'Bird.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-31-2010

I noticed that PirateJohn has the monitor conveniently mounted on the far right side of the dash so that his co-pilot can use it while going down the road and he can still have a clear view of the mirror.

I wonder if his cat Coyote checks out the computer at times too.

Share with us how you use your computer in your 'Bird, you don't have to post a picture just explain how you mount it or set it up so that you can use either on the go or while you are stopped for the day.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-31-2010

When parked, the driver's seat is a great place to make into the computer room, since you don't have to tear it down for dinner. I made a table for mounting on top of the steering wheel, but had no good place to store it. Then I discovered the computer sits on the wheel just fine without a table. Table is gone. When traveling, the computer goes behind the seat. Works for us, and dirt cheap.
Old 08-08-2010

Well, I use the side table for my computing and sit in the rear Barrel chair. (although I need to get a longer table top for it) and barb uses the Steering wheel with a Laptop eating type table. When traveling we have just taken both computers and set them in the middle of the bed. still looking for the best solution.
Idaho
Old 08-08-2010
Geek

Computing is a large part of my day, both for work and pleasure, so I have a dedicated computer desk. The photo below isn't current - the monitor has "grown" - but it does have the necessary ubiquitous cat, Sammy!

Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 03-22-2012

Nifty!
Old 06-13-2012

When I'm driving I use the laptop to view my GPS, but I don't have a convenient area to place it on the dash where I can reach it if necessary, so I place it on the carpeted dog house cover, where I have removed the dash extension to make room for the flat screen TV, the laptop sits in front of the TV at an angle so I can view it at a glance, it basically the same position that I used in my work van for years, so I'm used to it being there.

I had already placed a removable wedge under the laptop to place it at a better angle for me and to allow extra cooling area under there, but even with the computers internal cooling fans working properly, it wasn't quite enough cooling when placed on the carpet and it began to affect the performance of the laptop after it sat there for most of the day. So I looked for some type of a cooling base and I found this Microsoft Notebook Cooling Base model on sale at a Staples store in West Virginia, I paid around $20.00 for mine, but now that I've already got mine I have seen them Online for less than that. There are many other brands of cooling stands available too.
The stylish Notebook Cooling Base provides reliable cooling with a built-in fan and efficient cooling channel to prevent overheating, the built in fan blows air up onto the bottom of the laptop and then channels the hot air out each side. The base is easy to use with any notebook and is contoured to rest on both desks and users’ laps, providing a comfortable typing angle. The Notebook Cooling Base has a slim, portable design at only 1.16 inches thick, a cable management clip to allow the cable to be neatly stored when not in use, and is USB-powered so no batteries are needed. This Cooling base effectively solved the performance problems associated with my laptop.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VENT STAND.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	16677   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-10CBProfile_lg_Page.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	16678  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-13-2012
Former Bird Owner

In my 'bird, I had a custom desk built to (1) handle a full-size tower computer with dual 24" monitors ... and (2) it included a pull out tray on the forward end for my laptop. The passenger seat could be rotated 180 degrees to use the laptop conveniently. We shared a Verizon "USB wireless modem" that tied into the cell-system for access. In general it was a satisfying method. The desk also accommodated an HP 2605 color laser printer.

Now that I've retired, I no longer need the high-power computing system -- and after analyzing my on-the-road needs (and considering my much smaller Roadtrek's available space), I now use an Apple iPad with Verizon wireless service.

The iPad conveniently fits into a small satchel that also carries a bluetooth keyboard and the other accessories (AC/battery charger, stand). While on the road, the iPad can simply be held in the hands and used without any of the accessories. When stopped, we use the dining table as a desk. (In a Roadtrek, the table is mounted on a pole stuck in the floor -- typically, on the road, the table is moved to a storage position, but when we stop, we put the table back on the top of the pole (we leave the pole in position at all times since it isn't in the way).

Of course, accomodating an iPad in a 'bird would be a trivial task -- and it makes a very convenient way to stay connected. It's great for staying connected to email and social networks. Web browsing is easily done. Note: While house-hunting, we ran into our monthly Verizon data limit quite rapidly due to looking at online "slide shows" of potential houses and reviewing a multitude of photographs. This triggers a $20 fee for another block of data ... this could have been avoided had we used a WiFi "hot spot" or WiFi at an RV park -- but the RV park we were at had a somewhat slow (and annoying) WiFi (not uncommon). I normally have not exceeded the monthly allotment of data in the past.

At home, my wife uses the iPad to browse the internet and keep up with her email/social network sites while I use my desk-based computer. I set up a home WiFi system that the iPad automatically recognizes. If you're not using the Cell-system data network, you can "turn off" the Verizon (or AT&T if you get that model) service without penalty -- then turn it back on when desired.

It's proven to be a very practical and useful device for staying connected.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com