Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-07-2012

Default Wanderlodge for full-timing

I'm a rank newbie, just joined this forum, hope I'm doing this right!
We presently own a 2007 Chateau; very nice for short adventures, but not winterized, so no good for full-timing, which we plan to do end of next year when I retire.
First saw a '81 Wanderlodge at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix this year. Came home & did some research, seems they're about the most reliable rigs on the road today. My main question is, are they livable full-time with no slide-outs? I live in Salt Lake City, UT & would really like to look through one (if it's for sale, so much the better!) to actually get a feel for it. Are there any chapters of WOG in my area? Or any upcoming WOG rallys in this part of the country that I could visit?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 08-07-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
I'm a rank newbie, just joined this forum, hope I'm doing this right!
We presently own a 2007 Chateau; very nice for short adventures, but not winterized, so no good for full-timing, which we plan to do end of next year when I retire.
First saw a '81 Wanderlodge at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix this year. Came home & did some research, seems they're about the most reliable rigs on the road today. My main question is, are they livable full-time with no slide-outs? I live in Salt Lake City, UT & would really like to look through one (if it's for sale, so much the better!) to actually get a feel for it. Are there any chapters of WOG in my area? Or any upcoming WOG rallys in this part of the country that I could visit?

For Pete's Sake Mike!

Sorry I couldn't help myself (Private joke) check out my photo web site the link is in my signature below, I have lived in my 1982 FC35RB 'Bird for about 8 years now and I enjoy it very much, of course I live alone with only my cat, but there are couples here on WOG that are actually still happy with each other after living together in their 'Birds, hopefully you will get more opinions in this thread.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-07-2012

Any coach/trailer can be lived in, it just depends on your expectations. When we started full-timing we lived in a 35' Foretravel but found it did not have enough space for our stuff. We eventually graduated to a 42'er with just about everything in the world in it! We did not want a slide because of the storage space lost, extra cost and we never missed it. When I buy another coach it will probably have a slide but it's not a must have, just makes it less clausterphobic, but if you can't stand the lack of space just go outside...
Old 08-07-2012
Gardner

A Wonderlodge is built well and will take the abuse of daily life for years and years. I have seen statements on TT's and Fivers at RV shows that they were not made for full time living. We take up to 4 month trips in an FC and don't get too stressed. Like a boat, you work out your daily activities to not crowed each other. There are others on this forum that full time in various BB coaches and love it.

As far as dependability, that depends on the previous owners efforts and your maintenance strategy. Depending on the age and history of the coach you purchase there will be a shake down period where you will hammer out the issues and get it into a trustworthy condition. That is true for any used coach and the older it is the more truth there is. But a well maintained BB is a tough and worthwhile motor home to own.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-07-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

We are not full time, but we traveled 9,000 miles last year and spent several 3 week periods in the coach. Very comfortable for us. Wish we could go full time but if we did we would run out of fuel without a job!!
However, I think when you are buying a 15 to 25 year old motor home you had better have some mechanical abilities or a very large bank account.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-07-2012
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
I live in Salt Lake City, UT & would really like to look through one (if it's for sale, so much the better!) to actually get a feel for it. Are there any chapters of WOG in my area? Or any upcoming WOG rallys in this part of the country that I could visit?
Just hold your horses there cowboy, (grin). I'm just down the road in Sandy, Utah, and i get the next inexpensive coach! (LOL). Welcome to the party, we don't have many BB's in Utah, but every now and then I see one passing through.

Perhaps one of the regulars here will be heading through on their way somewhere and will spend the night and let us look. There are however, lots of cool pictures of coaches right here on this web site, and also on the owners brokerage. (Click on the link at the top of the page for Buy Bye Bluebird) Lots and lots of pictures.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2012

We have lived in our 84 PT36 for 10 years now with fulltiming for 5 years.
We volunteer our way around the country and find our 36 (with no slides) to be fine.
For me, it's the wife who will let me know if she doesn't like the rig.
She say's she loves it, is happy with the size, and we save $$ from owning a home.
We volunteer in areas we want to visit, get a free site and save bucks that we put some back into the bird with updates.
We will live and travel in our bird till I can't drive anymore. Then will live in it parked somewhere.
When I start to drool (more than I do now) we will pass it on to her daughter and husband to keep on going.
Didn't want a slide so had to go back into the 80's to find our rig.
Old 08-08-2012

The wife and I lived full time for 14 years in the 1984 FC35SB, 3 years ago we decided that we wanted a wide body, and became owners of a 40 ft. BMC, still no slides, and we don't really feel the need for any. Like what was said in a previous post, You can always step outside for extra room, and our main exercise is a pair of recumbent trikes for at least 10 miles a day.

Lee
1996 40' BMC
Old 08-08-2012
Sandwichs de Glace

Hi Mike,

Welcome!!!

We had a small rv before buying our Wanderlodge: With two weeks of clothes, food, fuel, water, etc, we were over max vehicle weight. A lot of RV's we considered before the WL were similarly, ah, obese.

With the bird, we have a couple of tons of cargo capacity and could (if we still had it) tow our last MH with ease. It is reassuring to have margins.

Mike
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 08-08-2012
Administrator

Living on the road is not camping.
look for four season heat, insulation, A/C, a real bed not just foam.
lots of lights, comfortable seating, refrig food for two weeks,
a table to read & write, Full timing or anytime over a week,
& one needs to be comfortable, or Grumpiness will set in.
Big big generator, huge holding tanks and no overweight issues.
Be safe and compare to other SOB's, any BB will make most Happy.