Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 08-29-2009

Default Full timing 101

What advice/suggestions do all you full timers have for someone just thinking about the change? I look at all the material things you accumulate over the years and say where do I start. Now that you are full timing any regrets or things you would do differantly now that you have been doing it for awhile? If you could reverse your course ,would you, or are you happy with the course you are on?
"STL CRZY"
Email: slckpurdy@aol.com
Old 08-29-2009

Start with the escapees rv club forum. It is designed (primarily) for fulltimers, and lot's of fulltimers post there. Check out the different sections. There are also many books for those thinking of fulltiming. I'll get some book tittles to you later.

Fulltimers forums:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php All your questions are answered on there in the past, and new different questions can be asked any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slckpurdy View Post
What advice/suggestions do all you full timers have for someone just thinking about the change? I look at all the material things you accumulate over the years and say where do I start. Now that you are full timing any regrets or things you would do differantly now that you have been doing it for awhile? If you could reverse your course ,would you, or are you happy with the course you are on?
Old 08-29-2009

Steve, good luck in your research and decision. We are not fulltimers, but when we have talked about it we have always concluded that if at all possible it would be better/safer/less angst/etc to do it gradually, in whatever stages or method that may fit your situation. For example, renting the house for a year or two versus selling it, or storing stuff versus totally getting rid of it. Mail forwarding, bill paying etc. can even be tested over a multi-week long "vacation". I would guess the most important thing to this would be the absolute assurance you both are on the same page in every way. Good luck.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 08-29-2009

Howdy, Steve.
Jack and I have lived fulltime in a motorhome since 1995. In 2004 we bought our 1993 Wanderlodge. Then on 12/31/2005, Jack took early retirement from GE.

In preparation for fulltiming in a motorhome, we got rid of a lot of stuff. Garage sales, offering things to our son, and a lot of donations to the Union Mission, and the Salvation Army.

The only tinge of regret is that sleeping accomodations for guests are difficult and finding a place to stay while the coach is in for service can be problematic.

Fulltiming equals the freedom to unhook and drive away from annoyances, real and imagined.

Please check out the Escapees RV Club as it is a good support organization for fulltimers, part-timers and wannabees. http://www.escapees.com

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 08-29-2009
Gardner

Although we do not plan to become full timers, we do plan extended trips in the 3 to 4 month range beginning next year. I have begun getting my bill payment methods and other things set up for on-the-road maintenance. What ever methods you choose to handle these things, getting your plan up and running well in advance will save you a lot of headaches once you head out.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-29-2009

Diane and I lived in our coach for 5 years, working in the summer and traveling all winter. Truly the best times we have ever had. We towed a big trailer like John's, but, I would buy one much bigger if I were to hit the road, full time that is, again. Probably triple axle with a 18000lb GVW, making sure that it was as tall as the coach (why not?) Space in our FC is tight so the trailer was the attic/garage combo. We hit the 10000lb gvw quickly with the trailer we had; car, motorcycle, dive gear, outdoor rugs and on and on. We met so many great people out there...
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-29-2009

Thanks to all the advice and suggestions so far. I will check out the fulltimers web site also. What a way to get the perspective from others doing this or thinking about doing this before you jump in. The bug has definately hit me but I still have a couple of years before I will have things in order.
Any regrets from anyone who has done it and quit not liking it?
I envy all that are doing it now. Thanks so much
"STL CRZY"
Email: slckpurdy@aol.com
Old 08-29-2009
Gardner

One more piece of advise, have an 'exit plan'. If things don't work out, or your age or health catches up with you, be sure you aren't left high and dry with no where to go.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-29-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

While I do actually full time in my 'Bird, it is a little different than most. I have been divorced for the second time for over 26 years and while I date on occasion I'm not looking for another serious relationship, Buddy my beagle and Cally my cat don't object to anything I want to do, they just go with the flow, well Cally has her own ideas at times but it all works out in the end, so I really don't have anybody else to consult with when I decide I want to go somewhere as long as the funds are there...................I just go.

I do have a homebase here in South Carolina, a pad with full hookups and a full length deck with a large yard with old hardwood trees scattered throughout, that is adjacent to my small shop and is located across a common drive that splits my property, with my home on the other side that I have rented out for over twenty years, since I have retired for the past five years I have been living in my 'Bird, and before that my old bus conversion when I was in town, this is all located on 2 acres of land in the country on a dead end paved road, which is usually very quiet, 6 miles east of exit 9 on I-77 outside of Columbia, SC.

I still travel about six months out of the year, just not all at once. This gives me time to come back home and recoup a little before I head back out again and I'm not paying for a campsite to stay at, as the house rent is paying the house payment, taxes plus a little more, so you might say I'm staying here rent free.

I co-ordinate my trips so that I will be here for my Transplant Clinic and other clinic appointments at the VA in Columbia. Another thing that I have arranged with the pharmacy at the VA, is being able to get my medication supplies all at once before I leave on a trip, years ago they always wanted me to give them a mailing address to send them to while I'm in route, which in my experience can be taking a chance, as I had the mail get lost once with some of my medication, or the USPS would say temporarily delayed, so since then I have been successful at talking them into giving me up to a three months supply to take with me, by explaining to them that normally I really don't have a set place to go to and some time I just decide to go another way, or to another place, so I don't have an address that they can send it to.

I have only had to go to the hospital once while i was on the road, but since I am a 100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran all I did was go to the nearest VA Hospital and I was taken care of quickly, in an emergency I would just go to a local emergency room and then the VA would make arrangements to cover the bill.

All of my bills are set up to be paid online and the rent from my tenants is always set up as a direct pay to my checking account, plus the other checks that I have coming in are also direct deposits. I don't like to carry large sums of money with me, so I purchase almost everything by credit card and faithfully pay it off online before it is due, if I don't have the funds to travel, I just don't go, I hate paying credit card interest.

I put a hold on my mail by going to the post office and filling out a Hold Mail Delivery card for each 30 day period that I plan on being gone, or some post offices have the ability to accept this online at https://holdmail.usps.com/duns/HoldMail.jsp I don't have the paper delivered here so I don't have that to worry about. Since the tenants are right across the drive about 100 feet away, they can look after the place while I'm gone and when they leave town I watch their side for them, so most of the time there is always some one around the property.

While I'm traveling as some of you know I pull my enclosed trailer, but just like Crit mentioned it still isn't big enough, but I doubt that a bigger trailer would allow me to bring along my small shop, as that is what I miss having around the most, a place where I can get in out of the weather year round and have all of my EXTRA tools and toys to work and play with.

I will always have the house to use as a backup plan in the event that I can no longer travel, but I'm so used to the smaller area to live in that the house would probably be too big for me, so if I ever did have to sell my 'Bird I would probably get a park model trailer to put on the pad in it's place.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-31-2009

Steve, we just passed our 2 year anniversary. We researched the life style for 5 years, mostly on the internet, but also getting 14 books on full timing. We stayed in our home area for the first 6 months, after selling our home, finishing up some obligations. We then traveled for the first year, mostly the west and western Canada. Now we are doing some volunteering for National Wildlife Refuges & COE lakes. It's nice to slow down a bit after moving continuously and also to give back some help to our natural resources.

We have no regrets, are loving the lifestyle, and can't imagine going back to a house at this time. We are continually grateful for discovering Blue Birds, both the quality of the product and the great community that feels like family.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168