Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2007
Forum owner

Default full timing

robs a full timer,so is pete and so is Liz,the homesick texan!
tell us how you do it.
Randy
Old 12-16-2007
Forum owner

and so is John Finn,sorry john,i forgot about you for a minute!
Old 12-17-2007
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
and so is John Finn,sorry john,i forgot about you for a minute!
That is because Rob is easier to see than I am

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-17-2007

Shown below is from left to right Rob, Randy and John......Need I say anything more?

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-11-2008
Forum Moderator

Yes I fulltime so if anyone who is or is planning to fulltime has a question, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.
Old 02-15-2008

All you full timers:
What are the most expensive items while fulltiming? Rob, I know that you sort of have a home base in the campground in Victoria, what about other places - Randy's place LOL.
What about you John, do you have a home base or always on the go? What about any of you other full timers.

I have lots of questions, as we are anticipating doing this in the next two years, but I would like to get the coach all fixed up first, got some changes to make and items to repair.

Thanks Bill
Old 02-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipvendor50 View Post
All you full timers:
What are the most expensive items while fulltiming? Rob, I know that you sort of have a home base in the campground in Victoria, what about other places - Randy's place LOL.
What about you John, do you have a home base or always on the go? What about any of you other full timers.

I have lots of questions, as we are anticipating doing this in the next two years, but I would like to get the coach all fixed up first, got some changes to make and items to repair.

Thanks Bill
Hi Bill,

I still have a home with a small acreage here in South Carolina, where I have a pad located next to my small workshop/office. I decided about twenty years ago that since I was divorced and at the time spent about 90% of my time on the road running my business, that it was crazy to have both a house and a large bus at the same time and since I didn't want to sell either one of them, I decided to let the house pay for itself and move into the bus, which has now been replaced by my 'Bird.

I rent the house out and then split the property area that is used basically in half with the use of a common drive and parking area. this basically gives me a free campsite to use when I am home. The house and my pad are located far enough apart to give both my tenants and myself privacy. The largest expense when I am home is basically the same as when I'm on the road, LP and Electric and of coarse food and fuel for the cars and van.

There is a fence surrounding the complete acreage and I have also installed a separation fence with gates to divide the two sides, if needed. Three years ago I did an extensive exterior remodeling of the house, shop and outbuildings and at the same time had the deck that is located along side the RV pad remodeled and plumbed with air lines from the shop, so that I could air the 'Bird up while it is parked on the pad, I also added a LP line to allow me to plug the 'Bird into, 50 amp electric hookup, phone line and satellite TV cables. I gave the old bus to my neighbor and now have the 'Bird parked there, when I am not traveling in it.

Even though I am located about 400 miles north of where Randy lives in Archer, Florida, usually the weather here in Hopkins, South Carolina is close to the same, with a few days during the winter months that get colder and even an occasional light dusting of snow, that usually disappears as quick as it gets here. It is 65 degrees here right now and that's a far cry form where I used to live in Iowa

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-15-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Shown below is from left to right Rob, Randy and John......Need I say anything more?
Take your hat off in the bright sunshine and nobody going see anything....at least for a while until the retinal burn subsides.
Old 02-15-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
All you full timers:

Thanks Bill

Yup that's about the size of it. Fuel cost is pretty much my biggie.
Old 02-15-2008
Administrator

Quote:
All you full timers:

Thanks Bill
It looks like you are aware of the maintenance and condition of the Bird.
But in addition: there are few places to work on a vehicle, A camp site is usually not the place for chassis repairs, oil changes and routine maintenance.
So, it would be wise to replace questionable parts, before going full time. Parts are usually a smaller portion of the repair invoice. And try to do as much work as possible yourself.

We travel about 5 to 8 months per year, Each camp-site is at some cost, a few free , some can be quite expensive, And as others have stated, food, cell phones, recreation, entertainment are the same as living in a house.
Fuel may be more costly depending on how many cars and miles driven before full timing. Most important is a towing insurance, good maintenance and maybe a good inspection.
This is great fun and a greater hobby.