Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) > BMC Parts List

BMC Parts List List your parts here, that are unique to the BMC model 'Birds.

Site Search:

Old 07-19-2019

Default 1994 BMC37 (only) heavy duty electric solenoids

After a host of troubleshooting on my '94 BMC37 due to general electrical weirdness discussed elsewhere, I decided to proactively replace the front and rear ignition activated electrical solenoids. I'm speaking of the one that powers the forward 12V panel to the left of the driver behind an outside panel, and the one that powers the 12V panel in the engine compartment on the right side looking forward. The OEM solenoids in my 1994 BMC37 are Cole Hersee #24106 12V continuous duty 85 amp THREE pole solenoids. The 1995 through 1997 BMC37 solenoids are FOUR pole and I do not know the OEM part numbers for those years. The Cole Hersee solenoids are still available in the original spec. But many BMC owners have switched to Echlin solenoids for various reasons. However, Echlin has recently changed some of their part numbers. On my 1994 BMC, the Echlin crossover part number was ST-80. It no longer is. The new Echlin crossover part number for the Cole Hersee #24106 is ST-51. The bonus with the new Echlin ST-51 is that it is a 300 amp continuous duty solenoid. This sort of addition amperage rating might appeal to some of you for your application. Again, this is a three pole solenoid for the 1994 BMC37 only. I don't believe it will work on the '95-97 models. NAPA's price is about $45.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

For grins, I did a little searching for the 95-97 crowd. I did find a Cole Hersee 4 pole solenoid with a 200 amp continuous duty. The part number is Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200A Continuous Solenoid. A little searching will find it is available at various outlets for about $41.00.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 4 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
After a host of troubleshooting on my '94 BMC37 due to general electrical weirdness discussed elsewhere, I decided to proactively replace the front and rear ignition activated electrical solenoids. I'm speaking of the one that powers the forward 12V panel to the left of the driver behind an outside panel, and the one that powers the 12V panel in the engine compartment on the right side looking forward. The OEM solenoids in my 1994 BMC37 are Cole Hersee #24106 12V continuous duty 85 amp THREE pole solenoids. The 1995 through 1997 BMC37 solenoids are FOUR pole and I do not know the OEM part numbers for those years. The Cole Hersee solenoids are still available in the original spec. But many BMC owners have switched to Echlin solenoids for various reasons. However, Echlin has recently changed some of their part numbers. On my 1994 BMC, the Echlin crossover part number was ST-80. It no longer is. The new Echlin crossover part number for the Cole Hersee #24106 is ST-51. The bonus with the new Echlin ST-51 is that it is a 300 amp continuous duty solenoid. This sort of addition amperage rating might appeal to some of you for your application. Again, this is a three pole solenoid for the 1994 BMC37 only. I don't believe it will work on the '95-97 models. NAPA's price is about $45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
For grins, I did a little searching for the 95-97 crowd. I did find a Cole Hersee 4 pole solenoid with a 200 amp continuous duty. The part number is Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200A Continuous Solenoid. A little searching will find it is available at various outlets for about $41.00.
Just out of curiosity I also did some searching. Perhaps the information I found is wrong but the only information I could find on the Echlin ST-51, listed it as an "intermittent" duty starter solenoid? Hopefully Dave was able to find written verification that the "new" Echlin ST-51 is continuous duty.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Just out of curiosity I also did some searching. Perhaps the information I found is wrong but the only information I could find on the Echlin ST-51, listed it as an "intermittent" duty starter solenoid? Hopefully Dave was able to find written verification that the "new" Echlin ST-51 is continuous duty.
John, thanks for the heads-up. Can you recall where you found that info? I simply walked into my NAPA store and asked for the continuous duty Echlin equivalent to the Cole Hersee #24106. The counter guy looked it up as an ST-51. Since it's amp rating wasn't listed, he called his tech line and was told the amp rating was 300. But it didn't occur to me to verify the continuous duty spec since that's what I'd asked for. I did independently verify the amp rating before installing them and today have spent several hours on the net trying to run down whether it's "continuous duty" and can't find that info. It's not specified in the latest online Echlin parts manual. I'll call NAPA tomorrow and report back.

David
Old 4 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
John, thanks for the heads-up. Can you recall where you found that info? I simply walked into my NAPA store and asked for the continuous duty Echlin equivalent to the Cole Hersee #24106. The counter guy looked it up as an ST-51. Since it's amp rating wasn't listed, he called his tech line and was told the amp rating was 300. But it didn't occur to me to verify the continuous duty spec since that's what I'd asked for. I did independently verify the amp rating before installing them and today have spent several hours on the net trying to run down whether it's "continuous duty" and can't find that info. It's not specified in the latest online Echlin parts manual. I'll call NAPA tomorrow and report back.

David
Hi David,

I agree, Napa or Echlin (if you can find a contact number) would be the way to go - especially if they can point you to an actual printed data sheet.

I'm not sure the information on this site is reliable but here's one place I looked:

https://www.lintechcomponents.com/pr...291/ST51/19239
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Hi David,

I agree, Napa or Echlin (if you can find a contact number) would be the way to go - especially if they can point you to an actual printed data sheet.

I'm not sure the information on this site is reliable but here's one place I looked:

https://www.lintechcomponents.com/pr...291/ST51/19239
Thanks John. I'll try to get this cleared up tomorrow. It's interesting that the Lintech website didn't give the amperage rating. Also, it appears Lintech describes the mounting ears as flat, but the NAPA book lists them as curved. I ordered three. In identical boxes, one solenoid had a curved mount, the other two were flat. It's amazing that you can't get basic voltage, amperage and "duty" information right off of the box it comes in and that it's not in the autoparts books either. You have to call a tech somewhere and he gives you a verbal. I'll see if he can send a fax of the info in writing. I'll bet he won't. Am I paranoid? When the manufacturing went to China, it seems a lot of the spec's supplied with the parts began falling through the crack.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
John Wyatt is correct. The Echlin ST-51 I was so breathless about is not worthy of it. A call by my parts guy to NAPA tech support reveals it is "non continuous" duty. I did confirm once again that the Echlin ST-51 part IS listed as the crossover to the OEM Cole Hersee #24106...which is wrong. I hate this. But it points up once again that membership in the WOG is well worth it if you are a Bluebird owner. Someone somewhere is either going to know exactly what you need, OR he's going to set you straight. Now I have to figure out how to delete this thread. BTW, after a lot of bookin' by my parts guy, the closest Echlin part number for the OEM Cole Hersee #24106 appears to be the ST-95, but it's only 80A rated. Should be enough.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Quote:
John Wyatt is correct. The Echlin ST-51 I was so breathless about is not worthy of it. A call by my parts guy to NAPA tech support reveals it is "non continuous" duty. I did confirm once again that the Echlin ST-51 part IS listed as the crossover to the OEM Cole Hersee #24106...which is wrong. I hate this. But it points up once again that membership in the WOG is well worth it if you are a Bluebird owner. Someone somewhere is either going to know exactly what you need, OR he's going to set you straight. Now I have to figure out how to delete this thread. BTW, after a lot of bookin' by my parts guy, the closest Echlin part number for the OEM Cole Hersee #24106 appears to be the ST-95, but it's only 80A rated. Should be enough.
I wouldn't recommend going 20% below the factory spec on the unit. There are several quality manufacturers out there that make a 100 amp equivalent.

But, when I look it up I find widely different max current ratings for the same relay, so what do I know
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:15 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I wouldn't recommend going 20% below the factory spec on the unit. There are several quality manufacturers out there that make a 100 amp equivalent.

But, when I look it up I find widely different max current ratings for the same relay, so what do I know
I agree Gardner. My info on the OEM #24106 is that it is an 85A rated solenoid. So I think the 80A Echlin ST-95 should do fine. If your information is otherwise, let me know. Wildly different specs and descriptions across websites seems to be becoming the norm in the parts business. I think there's been a big breakdown in specifications publication when the parts manufacture was moved to China, OR, company's cutting back employees for higher profits has left a void in their tech support departments. Or, both.