Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-13-2019

Default Blinkers and 4 way troubleshooting

Hello

I have a 82 bird with blinker and turn light issues. After solving wiring and switching issues I now only get the rear blinker light to work when I use the 4 ways. When I use the regular signal indicator I get all lights except rear blinker.

On this bird it also has a second set of terminals for the blinkers. Since I get a signal from one can I cross it over to the other and not hurt anything. Everything works correctly except the turning lights on the side when I jump the cables to the other set. The picture below should show what I am trying to solve.

The rh and lh directional does not work. Can I jump onto the terminals that say WL?

Thanks Jeb

Tried to load a picture. Am not getting it.

The bar I talk about is just behind the batteries.
Soon it will fly again
Old 06-13-2019
Gardner

From front to rear the first two directional's are for the rear, the second two are for the front and side. The rear directional's are shared with the brakes, the fronts are not. The brake/turn signal switching is done in the directional switching in the column. An additional note, the brake lights require air pressure to work, they are turned on by pressure switches in the brake system.

Picture uploading tutorial https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=19129
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 06-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2019

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

Brake lights work. All blinkers work except the ones that are shared with the brake. I am able to jump them and can get a signal with the other set of wires.

We had the steering wheel off and tried to figure out if the switch had issues. Was unwilling to go into the switch without doing damage. No easy screws that I could see. I will head back to the schematic and try to see what I can trace.

So my issue could be in the switch or the connection between the switch and the brake power line? Are the turning lights combined in this way as well?

Also while I am at it... I am getting no clearance lights. Since everything I am having issues with comes off the same bus above the driver. Are they connected somehow?

This issue is close to the last for me to solve before I can go for inspection. So close.

Thanks
Soon it will fly again
Old 06-13-2019
Gardner

Clearance lights are on a separate switch on the dash. On my PT is is on the lower left area.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-15-2019
Forum owner

I think some of the rear lights are just tail/run lights.
the other lights are brake and turn lights.
I THINK.
Can some of you older FC guys step in and clarify?
(you don't have to be old,but having an older coach is good!)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-15-2019

On my '82 the lower red lights were running/brake, the upper lights were running only. Some wire them all to be brake lights.

Has there been any modification or wiring issue with the trailer wiring connector?

Have LED lights been added anywhere? I had issues with my rear blinkers when the load on the flashing circuit was not enough using the stock flasher.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 06-16-2019

Hello All,

Thank you for the responses.

Just a few notes. Some of the wiring on this rig has been tampered with long before me. The Bird has not had any love for a bunch of years. I am trying now to just solve issues that will let me get inspected.

Blinkers. I have been able to make all Blinkers work except the rear which are connected to the brakes. I have been able to jump them to work but the do not light up correctly. I will be tracing these wires today and try to find out what is up. Any hints? Unfortunately the spaghetti under the dash is immense. Many bastardizations.

I did put a new flasher relay in and that got everything working but the back. I did install Led in the back but they light up fine with the new relay and jumping.

Today I am trying to get the clearance lights to come on. I get power to the lights but none seem to work. I read an earlier post saying if one light doesn't work none will. Kind of like christmas lights. Is the only way just taking one apart at a time?

Thank you all for the input. I hope to have this bird on the road soon.

Thanks Jeb
Soon it will fly again
Old 06-16-2019
Gardner

The marker lights are definitely in parallel, not series like Christmas lights.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-18-2019

Hello,

Thanks so much for replies.

So I had an Ahaa moment today. Got frustrated trying to solve issues with the lights and moved on to fixing the shock mounts. As I started up the bus all the lights worked.

Seems most of the lights are controlled by having the air powered up. I knew the brake lights were that way but not all the rest. The brake lights always worked so I figured there was enough air in the system for others. Not.

So now all my lights work except for a couple of bulbs. Wish I knew this sooner.

Thanks Gardner for mentioning the brake lights needing air.

Peace
Soon it will fly again
Old 06-19-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
Hello,

Seems most of the lights are controlled by having the air powered up. I knew the brake lights were that way but not all the rest. The brake lights always worked so I figured there was enough air in the system for others. Not.

So now all my lights work except for a couple of bulbs. Wish I knew this sooner.

Thanks Gardner for mentioning the brake lights needing air.

Peace
I am not aware of any lights (beside low air pressure indicator and brake lights) that need air pressure to work. Perhaps someone mis-wired something? Anyway, glad they are working.
Ridgewood, New Jersey