Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Heres my experience with enclosed trailers.

I have worked on John Finns trailer several times,his trailer has 5 lug wheels and it had torsion axles.
His first set of axles lasted a few years and the rubber in the axles went bad,he had new axles installed.
Within a few years those axles were worn out and i installed new axles and added leaf springs,instead of using yet another set of torsion axles.
I tried to talk John into 8 lug axles but he had nice wheels and spare tires already for the 5 lug axles (i bet he wished we had upsized today).

I had a race trailer with 8 lug axles,tires last way longer with the 16'' wheels.
I had a 3 axle trailer with 5 lug axles,bought it used from a Bird owner.
When loaded and towing behind a 3/4 ton dodge diesel pickup it had a tendency to push the truck around on turns,high speed turns on 4 lane roads,you could feel the trailer pushing on the truck.
I think the third axle was doing this.

One of our members here bought an enclosed trailer from a trailer builder in Ga.
I thought it was cheaply built and even though this trailer was custom built they did not build it the the buyers specs,he was in a time crunch and bought it anyway.

So,if i was buying a trailer it would have spring suspension,2-8 lug axles,light truck tires (non of that trailer tire junk).

I know other guys here have different opinions on this,but this is what works for me.
Go back to rule one Randy is always right if u gonna use a trailer five lug axle are a joke
Old 02-11-2017
TECHNOMAGE

Default MIKE'S TRAILER

MIKE: If that is YOUR trailer, its "too purty" to use. Good pictures in sunlight. Anything shiney always attracts me.

Fortunately I'm "snowed in" in CT" with more on the way and you are far far away. If I still have the need to spend $$ for a trailer, that 8 lug advice sounds good. There is a big trailer sales place near me, and I suspect that they cater by price to the un-trailer-educated.
Old 02-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
OP might want to consider this example, $6,000 worth of custom cabinets, 30a service and A/C. Alloy 8 lugs, never towed anything heavy, can be yours for $8000.
That's a Pace good trailer good price, I would consider it but not tall enough for my purpose
I've had a 24' Haulmark Edge since 1995
I'm on my second set of axles
Why?
Upgrades to 6000lbd
I like Torflex never had a problem
Goodyear Marthon tires are a problem Randy is right Light truck tires have worked very well for me
Trailer is always heavy, really, tools, vending display, car, inventory
It's gone through one '92 chevy cc dually, two ford cc duallies, and 11 years behind the Bird.
I had a triple axle Avion TT, if towed behind a 4 wheel truck or van it was a white knuckle experience, duallies tamed that beast.
Look at the trailer Mike mentioned that looks like a real good deal
Triple cost more on toll roads, more cost for everything and if you get the correct tandems as far as weight capacity and tires you'll be fine.
Last thoughts, tight turns triples will scrub, trailer pivots on center tire everything else gets dragged sideways
Old 02-11-2017
Forum owner

Mikes stuff is always nice,if i was shopping for a trailer i would buy his at that price.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-11-2017

Trailer has been towed 10k miles and has 1 year old tires, don't use it due to selling the 65 Coronet that lived in it. Nice wardrobe closet and lot's of storage. The cabinets are C-tech, top shelf, has winch and flush tiedown loops, 12 and 110 volt lights, way bright.
PM to chat about it, needs a new home.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-12-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Heres my experience with enclosed trailers.

I have worked on John Finns trailer several times,his trailer has 5 lug wheels and it had torsion axles.
His first set of axles lasted a few years and the rubber in the axles went bad,he had new axles installed.
Within a few years those axles were worn out and i installed new axles and added leaf springs,instead of using yet another set of torsion axles.
I tried to talk John into 8 lug axles but he had nice wheels and spare tires already for the 5 lug axles (i bet he wished we had upsized today).

My trailer actually has always had 6 lug wheels and axles rated at 5200 pounds each, the problem with the torsion axles was caused by the trailer frame being too narrow and having too much distance from the frame rail axle mount to the wheels, to cure this Randy added an additional frame rail outside of the original frame and then changed to leaf spring axles, I'm still happy with the 15 inch trailer service tires and wheels.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-12-2017
prone to wandering

I've owned lots of enclosed trailers and have learned that the cheap trailers don't last. IMO the trailer to buy is a Featherlite, and I don't just say this because mine is for sale. These trailers are extremely well built, they are pricey though. Mine is 26' long, 7' 6" inside height with 2x 5200lb, 6 lug axles, trailer carries 2 Harley's side by side and a car or jeep behind it. As far as length goes I have never been bothered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0575.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	47407  
jimdoel@me.com
Old 02-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD33 View Post
I've owned lots of enclosed trailers and have learned that the cheap trailers don't last. IMO the trailer to buy is a Featherlite, and I don't just say this because mine is for sale. These trailers are extremely well built, they are pricey though. Mine is 26' long, 7' 6" inside height with 2x 5200lb, 6 lug axles, trailer carries 2 Harley's side by side and a car or jeep behind it. As far as length goes I have never been bothered.
I agree with your analysis of Featherlight. There is another aluminum trailer maker named Becker, I think is the name, they are made in Michigan. They make some nice trailers and will make it anyway you want it. You are also right about the length. Some people worry about it others don't. Everybody needs to be aware of what the law is, however. I agree you probably won't get stopped for that. Most cops know that RVs are exempt from so many laws, not sure they know they aren't exempt from length or even care. I have seen a lot of 45' coaches pulling a 30' trailer. I doubt any have gotten stopped. But it also doesn't mean they can't.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-12-2017

I pul a 20' foot enclosed trailer bought it new in 06 towed it behind our Foretravel now behind the Bird. It is a H&H they are heavier then most trailer this size. I had some tire issues then went to E range tires. Made a big difference. Being full time I like the shop coming along. Just made the last 1200 miles no problem. Have close to 60k on the trailer. 6 bolt 15" wheels E range torsion bar the trailer must be level with torsion bar as they do not distribute the weight evenly on the axles. All the post have very valid points. In Yuma, Az.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	47408  
1995 Foretravel 320 SE C Sold
1992 WB #101721
Old 02-12-2017
ANOTHER REDNECK

in the oil patch the new deal is to run 17.5 wheels and tires much more heat friendly and 8 lug..replaced some dully tandem axles a bit ago..

you can run big truck tires and get along much better.....and DOT don't think your heavy but you have hyd disk brakes and that feels good when you need to stop
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571