Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 02-03-2017

We got to Shipshewana, Indiana and tried to see everything but it was so overwhelming. The windshield in the Blue Bird is enormous and there are windows all the way around, for the most part. We sit as high up as a semi truck, so we have a great vantage point to see over cars, SUVs and most pickup trucks.

Shipshewana reminded me of an Amish Branson. Lots of tourists and lots of traffic, including lots of Amish horse and buggies and Amish people riding bicycles. For miles. Out in the country. I can hardly ride a mile on a straight, even surface with no traffic, but these folks rode in their dresses and hats in the swampy heat of Indiana in early summer.

We sat in traffic, creeping forward very slowly. Eventually we saw that the big problem was a 4 way stop and lots of horse and buggies in the midst of an enormous amount of traffic. In the middle of the traffic,

David asked me to take over driving because he had to use the bathroom. Have I mentioned that we were also towing our Ford Flex? I believe we are as big as a battleship or maybe a semi. I'm sure my eyes bugged out and my voice rose several octaves as I told him he'd have to hold it, because there was no way I was going to drive.

Prior to the trip, I had booked show tickets at the Riegsecker Theater to see the very funny Jeanne Robertson our first night in Shipshewana, Indiana. I bought the deluxe package with supper before the show at the Amish Buffet. The directions were a little sketchy, but the price was great. There was only a small window of time that we had to be at the buffet and we were getting uncomfortably close to that time. It was getting late and I was getting more anxious by the minute.

We had departed Springfield early so we could set up camp (whatever that meant), visit with the other Blue Bird owners at the campground, shower (for the first time in our bus) and go to the show, but by the time we got to the campground, we didn't have time to do much.

David sent me in to the campground office to confirm our reservation and get a map and some direction as to where our campsite would be. I found out where our site and the onsite ice cream shop was, came out and told David. He had unhooked the car from the back of the bus and I followed him to our site.

What a beautiful campground! Plenty of trees so most of the sites were shaded. There were Blue Birds in nearly every space that campground had.

This video is of the campground when there was a previous Blue Bird Rally going on. There's just a few of them, but oh my, aren't they pretty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mJn_RTpAX4
1994 Blue Bird BMC
Old 02-06-2017

We had finally arrived at our campground in Shipshewana. David backed into our rock lined space with my help over the walkie talkies. I could tell him when he was going to hit a tree limb and when to stop backing up. We are a good team.

David got out and looked at the placement and told me he was going to try it again because he wanted the wheels just on the edge of the rocks on one side, so I directed him in again. He was happy with where and how it was situated, so he pushed the button and leveled and lowered the jacks.

There were Blue Birds of every shape, size and color next to us, in front of us and behind us. They were everywhere! I loved it.

I saw a group of people sitting in lawn chairs across the little road from us. The awning was up and there were hanging baskets of flowers from every awning on that side. There were pots of flowers on their steps into their coach. It was such a cheerful, homey set up. They had a little metal piece in the ground next to the road and a colorful wood piece hanging from it that announced their names. What a great idea!

David walked me through the set up. He plugged in the big electric plug that is about as big as my hand. He hooked up our hose to the water spigot and turned it on.

He showed me how to pull out the awnings, so I pulled one out and what dropped out? A freaking frog! It was a little battered from the trip and didn't move too quickly, but it finally hopped away. I didn't even notice it until David pointed it out to me. That's just not something I expected. At least it didn't drop on me. Ugh.

We were in a hurry to get our showers and get to the buffet and show. We were hungry and tired, but excited. We were having an adventure!
1994 Blue Bird BMC
Old 02-06-2017

318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 02-06-2017

Default An adventure

That's a fact it's always an adventure. Some times good some times not so good but always an adventure. I admire the co-pilots it's a difficult job. You walk the line from being helpful to being in the way. In addition the old man can tend to get crabby and that's often an invitation to TROUBLE. Not that it ever happens in our coach but I've heard that it does in others.

Getting ready to head south on Wed. Looking forward to the trip but knowing there will be challenges. We have decided to call the challenges adventures and that's what makes BBers and I guess other "campers" different. Lots of folks just can not deal with trying to back a coach into a spot. And as we know from experience that's often the least of it. I guess it is what you make of it.

Sounds like the Hollis gang is making the best of it and enjoying the adventures. Keep on keeping on.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-09-2017

David and I got all gussied up and went to the Amish Buffet in Shipshewana as a part of the Riegsecker theater package. The restaurant was not near the theater, which was a surprise.

Once we got to the restaurant, there was more than an hour wait time to eat. People were lounging on every seat inside and outside, waiting. More people were standing in groups. Others were milling around looking for seats and shopping.

We looked through the little gift shop and bakery while we waited. My helpful husband reminded me that we had a ton of food with us and couldn't possibly eat all I was buying, but that didn't stop me from piling David's arms high with cookies, breads, cake, candy and nearly everything else they had for sale. I even ordered a pie to be picked up the next day. Wise people say never shop when you're hungry and I think that's doubly true when a carbohydrate addict is in a bakery...and hungry.

David took our purchases out to the car and eventually we were seated in the restaurant. A very sweet young girl brought us huge glasses of ice cold lemonade and instructed us to go to the buffet and eat as much as we could.

Smooth and silky chicken and noodles, crispy outside, moist and tender inside fried chicken, real mashed potatoes and gravy and homemade bread were just a few things on that amazing buffet. After my bakery confession, I need to make sure you all know that I did eat some salad too.

They had the most unusual apple butter on the table. It tasted so fresh and kind of like apple pie filling. It was nothing like the apple butter I ate as a child. I remember that stuff as a disgusting brown goo that smelled and tasted like it was scraped from the inside of someone's shoe.

We refilled our plates and drinks and soon left for the theater across town. The theater was a huge compound with an even bigger parking lot. We parked out a little ways and walked to the entrance that everyone else was going to. We just made it before the show started. Whew!
1994 Blue Bird BMC
Old 02-13-2017

From the Amish Buffet, we went to the Riegsecker Theater. It's a huge venue and they have some pretty big names play there. It was about a mile away from the restaurant. People were standing around waiting for the doors to open when we got there and in less than 5 minutes, the doors opened so we could find our seats. I think it was the first time I've been thankful for a long wait at a restaurant. As we walked in, I thought it was odd that although we had assigned seats, and there were hundreds of people in the room to see the show, the seats were institutional dining room chairs set up in rows.

The average age in the room was probably mid 60s. I was a little apprehensive. I wasn't sure if I'd mistakenly booked tickets to a 50s or 60s band for ballroom dancing. I thought I'd bought tickets for a comedy show. I wasn't sure what we were actually going to see. Oh well. It was still an adventure!

At the end of the evening, our faces hurt from laughing so much. Jeanne Robertson is a very funny lady.

We had had a nice evening, but we were glad to get back to our tiny home. We were both exhausted and I was nervous about meeting everyone the next day.

This trip was the first time I had ever used the Blue Bird's facilities. I had never used the water, the toilet, the lights. Everything was so much different than our house. For instance, when you want to brush your teeth, wash your hands or use the toilet, you have to flip a switch to let the water flow and flip it off when you're finished. For some reason, that's really hard for me to remember. So I'd wash my hands and face and there's less and less water. Oh no! DAVID!!! Something's wrong with the water! Did you turn on the water? he would ask. My answer was, Uh....oops.

And the toilet! To flush, you have to use a pedal on the side of the toilet. It doesn't exactly flush. The pedal opens up a little door on the bottom of the bowl and everything just drops down into the black tank.

According to David, you can keep the bowl cleaner if you depress the pedal while you're, uh...dropping things into the toilet. That way there's nothing to clean on the sides of the bowl. So, I, of course, tried to do that. How in the heck is that possible?

I tried to put my foot on the lever while sitting on the toilet and I just couldn't reach it, so I tried to put my foot on the lever BEFORE I sat down. That just caused me to lose my balance and hurt my knees. I tried bending to the side and pushing the lever with my hand as I...let it go. That didn't work either. I couldn't reach the lever without cutting off the urge. I leaned forward and threaded my hand under and behind my leg to push the lever, but that also curbed the urge. After many unsuccessful attempts to coordinate, I've decided I don't mind cleaning the toilet when necessary.

On a brighter note, In the morning, we were going to meet our fellow Blue Bird campers!
1994 Blue Bird BMC
Old 02-13-2017

Oh my goodness , you cracked me up with the toilet experience....lol.
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 02-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold,Cat&Sam View Post
Oh my goodness , you cracked me up with the toilet experience....lol.
David is simply that talented. I, however, am not.
1994 Blue Bird BMC
Old 02-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhollis View Post
David is simply that talented. I, however, am not.
Practice makes perfect.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 02-14-2017

Something to be said for that 5 gallon bucket out behind the trees
"Bordering On Adequate"