Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-21-2017

Pitman arm comes off the steering box - and connects to the drag link
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
Pitman arm comes off the steering box - and connects to the drag link
Thanks KC. I meant the drag rod tube. In my head I knew what I meant
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-21-2017

I am not surprised the rods are hard to find. They don't wear out and are normally replaced only when involved in accidents. I think I posted early in this thread about replacing ours. It was done while at Mark's place in Maine. One of the Pitman rod ends gave us quite the battle. It required oil soaks, heat and the strength of two young brutes on the end of a long cheater pipe to get it loose. No damage to any of the threads in the rods.

If the shop doesn't want to do the job for you find another shop. There are plenty of class eight alignment shops that can do this job. You might consider doing the tie rod ends and then the pitman rod ends. Nothing says they all have to be replaced at once. By the way, is this preventive maintenance or is there excess play/damage to the rod ends?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-21-2017

I had it in the shop for new drive tires and asked them to inspect the front suspension while it was there. It seemed to have some play in it. They had aligned the front end a couple of years ago. They found the drag link had excessive wear and also recommended replacing the tie rod ends. I am looking at another shop closer to where we are now but wanted to have the parts on hand when we got there.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis&Ella View Post
I had it in the shop for new drive tires and asked them to inspect the front suspension while it was there. It seemed to have some play in it. They had aligned the front end a couple of years ago. They found the drag link had excessive wear and also recommended replacing the tie rod ends. I am looking at another shop closer to where we are now but wanted to have the parts on hand when we got there.

Dennis, Normally the rod ends are all that wears. Unless someone didn't tighten the clamps down the rods will be fine. The excessive wear would be in the rod ends not the rod.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-21-2017

That's what I was thinking too. He was worried about pulling the threads out of the tube, if he had to heat it up to get the rod ends out. He said it had happened to him before.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-21-2017

Wonder how many rod ends he has replaced on a Wanderlodge? That is a very heavy duty tube.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-21-2017

My guess would be none. They do a lot of heavy truck work, dump trucks mostly and some SOB work. They do have a Josam front end alignment machine,so they are set up for the heavy stuff.
"Chief's Pride Too"