Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-15-2018
Just the Driver

Put them on the front of our coach as it scrapes coming out of our driveway. Cheaper than cutting a new driveway in ..

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI. “Ruffin it EZ II”
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 08-15-2018

I'm guessing they are needed very little, but all it takes is once and you'll be glad you have them. I came into a town in N.C. and was looking for fuel. My next turn to the right had a service station on my side of the road and on the corner and it sold diesel. So a quick look showed me I could get in and out very easily, by sort of "cutting the corner" to get out. Filled up and left only to realize the out had a fairly sharp decline into the street and there was no way I could exit straight but I didn't need to because I was turning right. So I went at it at an angle and and the left front of the bus, right under the generator fan scraped. It sounded horrible and I thought OUCH!! I was able to make a little more of an angle out of my maneuver and prevented the rear from scraping, but I would have bet you couldn't have put a hair between the bus and the concrete. I found the first place to pull over and there is a piece of angle iron the fan sits on that was scraped and nothing else. Didn't really hurt a thing, but sure could have

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 08-15-2018

I wish I had a pair on mine, I've got a lot of money tied up in my rear bumper! I took a picture of them on Chris Henry's FC when they stopped by Maggie Valley this past May on their way home. They are on my list.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 08-15-2018

Could anyone tell me the rough dimensions of the rollers (diameter & width) and what they are made of?
250T, 4.33
Old 08-15-2018
Forum owner

they are made of a phonelic material,they are not metal.
I have drug the back and the front on my LXI,many times.
the tow bar drags and it kills those nice curly cables.
i raised the ride height on my coach,its not as bad as it was.
remember,putting rollers on will lower the ground clearance and you will drag more.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-15-2018

Saved the dump plumbing on my RB a couple times.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-15-2018

Is there a particular supplier any of you folks recommend for these rollers? I'm pretty sure I may need a set for my transition off the township road onto my farm lane.
Craig.haedrich@hotmail.com
717 743-8764
“In a time of deceit, telling the truth becomes revolutionary “
Old 08-15-2018

Years ago I inherited an SOB. It’s huge rear overhang motivated me to buy the hitch roller in the pic below. Thanks to that coach I learned the “when in doubt go diagonal” lesson, so the roller has been in my tow box for years. Would it work on a bird? Don’t know. Like Randy says, anything that sticks down like this will increase the odds of dragging the rear and/or getting stuck. Plus, it’d only have a chance of working on the hardest driveway surfaces. Otherwise all you would do is dig a trench!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B54259B-51B3-46CA-86BB-C1D73713AB1F.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	57032  
Old 08-15-2018
RV Appraiser

I have experienced the pleasure about 4 times and the first I almost soiled my shorts. Then I learned to depart a campground at an angle. Once we were coming out of a TVA campground and it was steep with a quick drop off. Both back wheels came off the ground and the caster wheels were on the pavement, I also had to make a sharp right hand turn. Dishes came out of the cabinets and the refrigerator door flew open. Not a fun event. Then we had a couple other episodes in Canada departing a campsite but only one caster hit the ground. I do have a spare caster.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-15-2018
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Some of the roller part numbers have changed since I wrote this in 2006 so check the new website link at the bottom of this post. The rollers have come in handy since then and are still in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
You can view the modification that I did to my 'Bird, to add a heavier receiver type hitch, by going to
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/26781589 this is the first in a series of photos of the hitch modification, so to see more of them just click on NEXT at the right of each page to see the next one.

One of the things that I mention is the fact that when I added the receiver hitch assembly to the BOTTOM of the stock hitch, that it actually took away the dragging protection of the large rollers that came on the 'Bird. This especially became apparent after I switched to a 7 foot longer and heavier 27 foot 10,000 pound rated trailer that is loaded to 8,800 pounds, this added more tongue weight, enough so that I now load my VW inside the trailer backward, so that the VW's engine is directly over the rear of the trailer and that helped to reduce the tongue weight. The tongue weight isn't enough to even notice the difference in the handling of the 'Bird, but it did cause the receiver hitch to drag more often than before, so I added a Maxi Weld-on Steel Skid Roller http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=12378 that I purchased from http://www.tweetys.com/

This addition has been very efficient in protecting the hitch as can be seen in this photo on my web site, that I added this morning

I mention all of this so that if anybody is thinking of doing this modification to their 'Bird, they might want to think about adding the receive hitch to the TOP of the stock hitch instead, if you are just going to be towing a toad and not a heavy trailer like I do. This modification was done in this fashion to my 'Bird so that it could be reinforced more effectively, due to the weight of the trailer that I planned on pulling.

Here is a photo of the 'Bird and trailer combination

You can see that the trailer does not effect the way that the 'Bird rides as far as being level and I DO NOT use an equalizer type hitch, or a sway control type hitch as there isn't enough of a problem in towing this size trailer to become a problem, the only difference in handling that I notice is, if I'm not looking directly at my mirrors, I can tell by the slight movement in the steering wheel when a large semi is starting to pass the rear of the trailer, but it isn't enough movement to alarm me, it is just more noticeable than when the trailer is not hooked up to the 'Bird.

Since I normally pull the trailer, I have adjusted the tire pressure accordingly, about the only time I tow just the toad by itself is when I'm taking the 'Bird to the Tour Bus Company shop for service and that is only a 70 mile round trip, so I never change the tire pressures.

I have also added a set of rollers to the back of my trailer, after we changed out the axles to spring type that are a little bit lowered, thus the back of the trailer comes in contact with the ground when going in and out of some drives.

Here are the rollers below that I used on the trailer after driving from Florida to California with the new axles installed above and dragging the tail going in and out of some drives, they work great, i had them installed while I was still in California and purchased them direct from PAK Industries, they hand delivered them to me, while i was at my brothers visiting, they are great people to deal with;

PAK Industries
40242 La Quinta Ln Suite 103
Palmdale, CA 93551
http://www.pakindustries.com/

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11