Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Shane - how loud/annoying would you say it is? All the DBW2010's I've heard running are annoyingly loud with buzzing and other high-freq sound.
Not silent- but a sound cabinet would really deaden the noise. The exhaust is not much at all- with a muffler almost nil. Check out Soundown insulation for the box- https://www.ebay.com/i/153448122458?...SABEgLOWPD_BwE

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-02-2020

FYI I got the thing fixed and working by myself. It was just like I suspected, both temperature sensors are just the wrong kind. I found a 10k NTC sitting in the junk pile and Jerry-rigged it and voila, works perfectly. It's out there cycling nicely, working just as designed.

After the lack of comms from the manufacturer I requested a refund/return and they offered me a 100% refund, they pay shipping, but like 60 days after I ship it back on my dime. Or $138 + 18% on my next purchase. I had also disputed the charge on my CC since they were dragging their feet a little more than I liked, so that still hasn't resolved. I took the partial refund and ordered two threaded 10k NTC sensors for $15.
Old 01-05-2020

The Chinese one has been working perfectly all weekend on my little test stand, and I like how "quiet" it is. But I have decided to go another direction on the diesel heater.

I just bought a Planar (Teplostar) 14TC-mini-12. It is new in the box on eBay, but missing a few parts from the kit, so I got a good deal on it. This is a Russian-designed and manufactured diesel coolant heater, but it's more compact and efficient than this Chinese one and a DBW. It is sealed up nice and just a better designed unit, and also smaller. If I had known about this a few months (or year!) ago I would have just ordered one then and stopped waiting for a DBW deal.

I sent an email to ask a few technical questions before I pulled the trigger and I got a copy of their configuration software and answers in literally 10 minutes. Parts are cheap and easy to get.

It's more efficient because it has 3 burner levels and appears to slow the water pump down to save electricity. It's better to keep the heater burner going at a low level to maintain temp than to just shut it off and restart each time. It should keep the temperature more consistent, too. I can tune all of this with their software, and I can control it remotely with my electronics without any hacking needed.

Canadian Seller
Russian seller
Old 01-07-2020

I ordered a couple of the missing parts for the new new heater (hah) and they showed up in 1 day from Canada. The heater isn't even here yet. So far so good with this one.
Old 01-10-2020

The new Teplostar heater showed up, so I plugged my laptop into it and it works! I think I finally figured out why those European Spheros heaters cost half as much over there - this heater is its equal, or better if you ask me. It's got good sealed connectors where it counts, it's built really well, parts are inexpensive, and I look forward to making smoke with it soon.

I have been working out a plan to plumb it into the main chassis heater circuit, but I want to be able to cut the engine out of the circuit without using 12v valves (they use power and they fail often). I think I can use a simple, reliable brass check valve and plumb the heater's water pump into the return side of the chassis heater circuit. This way I can just turn on the regular circulation pump that I'd use going down the road to get some hot water through the engine. I think. Not much to see so no pictures.
Old 01-10-2020
Forum owner

Interesting stuff.
Thanks.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Interesting stuff.
Thanks.
Glad the Telopstar passes your review!

If my hurricane unit ever fails, I'd definitely consider installing one of these Telopstar units. The hurricane does have 12V solenoid valves within to turn on the zones and one of my was stuck when I bought the coach. That swap would require a bit of redesign, of course.

I had a similar idea in mind for engine pre-heating on my old PT after I installed the mini Webasto unit in just the domestic water heater exchange loop.

What was obvious and also confirmed from my Webasto project was the coolant will definitely take the path of least resistance. Do consider all the paths.

Simple is good!
Ex-PT36
Old 01-10-2020

Why did you go with the teplostar when you said the Chinese unit was running well. Is teplostar the same as planar, if you know?
Old 01-10-2020

Doug - I'm sure this will work, I just have to get another BMW intercooler pump now I want to be able to control this all electronically and I'm also reducing the power needed to run it all. I have the stuff to convert the chassis heater fans to PWM speed control so reduce the power they draw by like 75%, too.

Tom - Once I had gone through the terrible communications with the manufacturer and a reeeally nice DBW 2010 popped up on ebay for $800 I started to second-guess my decision. I got the Chicom unit working 100% perfectly just by putting good temp sensors in it, that's it. So I started looking around some more and discovered the Teplostar stuff. I thought it was junk knockoff stuff so I never paid enough attention to it. I was wrong about that. The 14.5kw unit is about $800 new, plus $38 to ship it from the EU. Or it was about $1000 from Canada. Then I found this smashed-box deal on ebay for cheeeeeap, and it was brand new.

I found out that the company is very popular in Europe and Canada, but the company names were screwing with me. Teplostar, Autoterm, Planar? What gives? They are all the exact same product from the same company. If you search for Planar you get 99% Chicom knockoffs. They are not Planar brand, they are generic Chinese brand. I believe they decided to do some rebranding to get away from that problem. It turns out the Chicom units aren't that much less expensive than the real thing, too.

So I found this unit, which is literally half the size for almost the same output (14.5kw vs. 16kw), has nicely sealed wiring, a potted control board, and my emails to the company were instantly replied to with better-than-expected answers. So at that point I bought the ebay one. The fuel pump was missing so I bought a new one and it showed up before the heater did, 1 day from Canada and it was $100.
Old 01-10-2020

Thanks for the details. I am planning on looking at the planar in a couple weeks at the Seattle boat show, the BC Canada dealer is supposed to have a booth there. I know they are well received by the boating community and the BC dealer is reported to have good customer service. I’ve seen the Chicom dbw2010 knockoff for as low as $230, even replacing sensors, seems hard to pass up. I guess I’ll wait and see. BTW, are you planning on leaving the original coolant pump, jabsco I think, in the engine circuit, or is there enough flow from the engine alone to supply the engine side of the heat exchanger?